Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington's New Slug Ammo....Price Is Insane !!!! >

Remington's New Slug Ammo....Price Is Insane !!!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington's New Slug Ammo....Price Is Insane !!!!

Old 01-27-2018, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington's New Slug Ammo....Price Is Insane !!!!

Remington came out with a new slug, using Barnes Expander which is great. But looking over the the charts between these and Accutips I really don't see a huge difference, but the price of these are double the price of Accutips. MidwayUSA selling them between $27.00 and $32.00 depending on gauge and shell size.

Now when Federal used Barnes I recall the price being about the same as Accutips.

Remington will fail with this product cause of price, they are asking way to much for something that isn't any better then what they have in Accutips

https://www.remington.com/ammunition/sh ... abot-slugs
Old 01-28-2018, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I would not be so quick to state Remington will fail with this ammo.

Some states like California you have to use copper or some thing since lead has been band mostlhy and other states are following their lead.

Best bet it to just load your own simple and use about any slug you can find and want to use.

Al
Old 01-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

I have had good results with the regular Rifled Slugs.They are cheap and devastating.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

My Mossberg 695 will print a better group than I can typically shoot using the accutips, so I doubt I'll change anything.

This season I found myself grabbing a 20gauge smoothbore the only time I reached for a slug gun anyway. Just felt like using something different and it hits fine at 50 yards.

-Jake
Old 01-28-2018, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somebody will always be willing to pay the price. I won't say Remington will fail but there are a lot of copper options on the market. Considering that, I have no intention of paying that price. The closest slugs from a spec. standpoint to the new Rem.'s -from what I've seen-are the Browning BSX slugs and their price point is much more reasonable and the next slug I will try. The Latvian Dupleks slugs from Midway are also a nice lead free option, Some of the Dupleks slugs have reviews, and those reviews are good.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 01-29-2018 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:20 AM
Typical Buck

WOW! when federal & barnes hooked up to make a slug for the savage 220 20 gauge same slug as remington is producing they were 12.00 a box of 5. @ remingtons price thats 6.00 a slug. myself i liked the barnes expanders for my savage 220 shot great & penatration was excellant.at that price i believe i would go with a muzzleloader& use 290 tez bullets in states that allow shotgun & muzzies during gun season. but here in ohio now we can use straight wall cartridges. i myself use a 450 bushmaster in a ruger ranch rifle. more accurate, less pain to shoot & about 1.25 a bullet to shoot. which i see now that remington is making a 450 bushmaster bullet in accrutip. can't wait to see that price. looks like remington is trying to get rich real fast.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Spike

Default 2.70 a box if you buy a case

I bought a case of the new Remington expanders,I also have a case of the accutips. Accutips are very accurate but their terminal performance is questionable. I shot a buck in the snow this year,perfect shot and had very minimal blood. Had there been no snow I am not sure I would have found the deer. If you buy a case of shells they cost 2.70 per shell,that is not expensive for a quality slug. And they are just as accurate as the accutips. I shoot a savage 220,I use the 2/34 shells. I have used barnes for years and they are the best in my opinion. Don't get cheap when it comes to the most critical part of your hunt. On average a good quality hunting arrow is 14.00 add the broad head another 14.00. Add lighted nocks, 10.00. Your up to 38.00. Now you say,well I can use that arrow over again, maybe if it does not break or the deer runs off with it. But at a minimum you need to replace the blades each time you shoot it...add at least 7.00 each time you fire? So ask yourselves is it worth it to make sure you are doing your best to make sure you are using the best available. I did not even change the point of aim on my scope when I shot the barnes from the accutips. It was dead on side to side about 1.5 inches lower.The target has 5 shots at 100 yards off sandbags. The one to the left I pulled.
Attached Thumbnails Remington's New Slug Ammo....Price Is Insane !!!!-shotgun-buck.jpg   Remington's New Slug Ammo....Price Is Insane !!!!-remington-expander.jpg   Remington's New Slug Ammo....Price Is Insane !!!!-27541076_2018211584861528_874127200386313719_n.jpg  

Last edited by sooshunt; 03-01-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Terminal performance of accutips questionable? My sister used them exclusively for several years in her 870 20 gauge. I don't know if you realize it but Illinois produces some of the largest bodied whitetail in the lower 48 and she has taken some seriously big bodied animals over the years here. Never had a problem with terminal performance from the accutips. She has since switched to muzzleloader and her little 870 slug barrel is pretty much collecting dust.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Friend of mine took a 450 lb bear a few years ago here in NJ with 3" Accutips 20ga, the shot was 60 yards, the bear took 5 steps and dropped.....The Accutips worked
Old 03-01-2018, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

The deer I have hit with accutips have all dropped within twenty yards, except for one.

I've recovered three accutips from hit deer. All mushroomed out amazingly well and weight retention was high.

One of those was a button buck that was facing me. Slug entered the brisket, traveled the length of the deer making jelly out of everything inside, broke the leg bone, and was recovered just under the skin of the hind quarter. couldn't have asked for better performance.

The one that got away was a thirty yard shot, broadside on a standing deer. There was fur at the impact sight, and not a drop of blood anywhere. I looked for three days for that deer. Even after the season closed I kept looking. A neighbor found a dead doe two months later about 500 yards away. Can't say for sure, but was probably the deer I lost. I don't know if I made a bad shot, or if bullet performance was bad.
But, I'd bet that it was my fault. Everything else has hit the dirt after taking an accutips...

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 10-25-2018 at 03:53 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.