Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
long range rifle >

long range rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

long range rifle

Old 02-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Spike

My shooting partner is a lefty and always shot rh guns and just about everything else. I think he always has the advantage on bolt guns He works the rh bolt with his right hand trigger finger and cheeks never come off the gun.

Thanks

Buck
Old 03-28-2018, 05:20 PM
Spike

Default Similar situation here...

I’m also wanting to get in to the semi-long range game and after about a year of research have kind of set my heart on the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM. The question I am posing is; while I will be primarily shooting at/under 1,000yrds, I also want to hunt occasionally. I understand the weight of this rifle loaded is around 14lbs and have handled one (empty) a few times, but I have not shot it. I do have glass already purchased (Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50). I grew up in MD so the majority of my hunting experience is on private land, sitting still, <=500yrds with .243s and 30-30s, and that’s against the mid-sized frame of an “East Coast whitetail”. If I wanted to include Oryx, Elk, Antelope, Blacktails or Mules, would the RPR in 6.5CM with the aforementioned glass be a valid option? (Again most of my shooting time will be on a range).
Old 03-29-2018, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at the options Savage has... and the cartridges they offer... great starting point!
Old 03-29-2018, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by warpedmatrix77
If I wanted to include Oryx, Elk, Antelope, Blacktails or Mules, would the RPR in 6.5CM with the aforementioned glass be a valid option? (Again most of my shooting time will be on a range).

I have taken a bunch of elk and a handful of oryx and although the 6.5 CM will work it is on the very light end to take that size game consistently and cleanly. You would be best advised to use a different rifle with more power and lighter weight for those hunts.

Your choice of rifle/scope will be fine for the range and for medium size (deer, pronghorn, etc.) game as long as you will not have to walk far or shoot quickly.

I have never heard of anyone hunting mules. That will probably make some rancher very unhappy with you.