Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
long range rifle >

long range rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

long range rifle

Old 01-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default long range rifle

I'm of the hankering to get into long range shooting. (1000 yds or less) not the really really long stuff. I know 1000 yards is still a long way.
I'm lefty but that really doesn't pose a problem as I don't really need a LH action. Right now I'm just trying to get a feel for rifles and chamberings from those of you that do this sort of thing. Now I don't plan on hunting with this rig but I don't want one of those 35 lb rifles shooting emongous bullets.
Advice on scopes too would help.
Lets hear what you got to say.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

280 AI, 26-30 nosler, 300 win mag. if just target shooting a 308 will do it and have lots of barrel life, make it a 10-12 pound rifle, the longer the barrel the better. spend good money on glass!
RR
Old 01-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without hunting on the table, 1,000yrd shooting, if I had a guilty pleasure for my next build, it'd be a Surgeon 591 chambered for 6 Dasher, J Allen chassis, NF ATACR, Jewel HVR, and I'd be giddy...
Old 01-18-2018, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I though for sure one of you guys would mention the 6.5 Creedmoor! I'm hearing some good stuff about it and from what I understand the 264" bullets are pretty good ballistically.
Les Baer was building a rifle for my cousin who unfortunately passed before receiving it. They were good friends and Les told him he could get an AR platform to shoot as good or better than a bolt action! This really surprised me.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

The old man's 7mm-08 AR is amazingly accurate but that thing was about as far from cheap as one could get in an AR. He had it built for long range hog shots. The .338fed he built is pretty darn sporty too. So I agree completely with Les. AR's can be and are built with some incredible accuracy. My little Wilson Combat factory produced .223 AR is picky about the loads but once you land on the load it likes it can be a very tight grouping little machine itself.

As to your 6.5creed question, yes the creed has amassed a pretty good following and yes it is primarily because of the ballistic advantages inherent in the .264 bullet choices available. Not to mention it doesn't knock the holy crap out of you every time you pull the trigger. But for just target and no hunting, I too would go for the 6 dasher. But if you were to drop $3-4k on a well built AR and may want to pull some 500-600 yard shots on a whitetail, I would opt for the creed. Or if you decided you wanted to go after some speed goats where ranges can be 0 to however far you can see the damn thing those little creeds are pretty good lope droppers too.

As to glass, that is more of a personal decision than I can get in to. When it comes to long range optics, your own eyes have to be the judge as to what is enough for you. The long range scope that is perfect for me may not even be in the ball park for your vision. Where all of them meet is at the price point though. Any good quality long range optics will be expensive as I'm sure you already know. I have a couple of scopes sitting on custom built rifles that cost almost twice what the rifles did and those things were far from cheap.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Spike

What's your total budget for rifle and scope? That will help tailor some of the advice you'll get from others.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah budget here is going to be your factor
I started shooting 1,000 yard matches back in the late 80's
how serious do you PLAN to get, as its sometimes cheaper to cry once and buy once, than buy something now and then want else later on
about any basic center fire rifle caliber can get there, some just do so better
a 300 win mag is a good basic get you there with LOTS of proven info out there for it to help you learn
being a lefty isn't a big deal in LONG range work as most things shots are NOT in a rush, so loading one at a time and even if you have to use a right hand bolt, isn't the end of the world,
which brings you back to $$/budget
have the funds a rifle can be built for you any way you want it
\ if you go to any 1,000 yard match, you will hear a LOT of guys say this caliber is BEST or THIS one is better and blah blah blah LOL
people, will always like what they like and push it
YOUR the one that is going to be buying and paying for things, BUY what you want, want suggestions on calibers, read some match results and calibers used to get there scores
you will, quickly come up with a short list of the most scoring calibers
and then decide on what fits you better
recoil, HOW easy or not getting ammo will be(brass and such) you can then look at costs differences in calibers too(heads brass) and go from there
Old 01-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm likely thinking in the $2500-$3500 range maybe $4000 for the rifle/scope.
But like I said I'm just toying with it right now. I have so many places in PA where I can shoot easily 1000 yards. Just on the weekend I have to keep my ears open for those darn ATV riders. Seems like they're everywhere anymore.
I can kick my butt for selling my bull barreled Rem 700 in 7-08. Several times I punched 3/8" 5 shot groups at 200 yards (not 100). But I quit shooting silhoulette and traded it off.

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-18-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 PM
Spike

I like the 300 win mag in whatever your flavor of stock and the night Force brenchrest

Thanks

Buck
Old 01-18-2018, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Will you be handloading for it or shooting factory ammo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.