HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Taurus Judge (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/416885-taurus-judge.html)

coolbrze0 01-16-2018 03:19 AM

Taurus Judge

Considering purchasing a Judge .410 w/ 6.5" barrel for rabbit hunting. I enjoy hearing my beagles run more than I do shooting rabbits & have several 20 ga. should I really want to bang some bunnies. Any reviews on the Judge .410?

HatchieLuvr 01-16-2018 12:16 PM

How close can you get to Buggs? :biggrin:

I've had a Judge since they came out however many years ago? I use it loaded with 6s for the MANY, LARGE & cantankerous cottonmouths on my riverbottom swamp/farm. I patterned 4, 6, 7.5, 8 & 9 shot & 6s were the "head & shoulders winner" in that trial. I've killed snakes at 15-20yds with it but they rarely "rolled up dead" at such distances with one shot like they do inside 10yds.

I've gotta bud who has busted a few skeet out of mid air with his S&W Governor (S&Ws version of a 45/.410 revolver) & I've done the same on a few beer bottles tossed into the air with my Judge. But those are more "hold my beer & watch this" stunts than regular occurences.

My Judge & my buds Gov. are standard 2.5" chambers. I've never used a 3" so not sure what additional power it would offer, but I'd still doubt it'd be a reliable bunny slayer.

hunters_life 01-16-2018 12:55 PM

If you know how to position yourself hunting over Beagle hounds then 10-20 yard shots are rare. Most every rabbit I have shot off my dogs has been within 10 yards. Cottontails tend to do a circle and are fairly easy to set up on. That little judge with some 5 or 6 should be fine. I've got a little Beretta OU .410 that I tend to use more than any of my other shotguns for rabbit.

Oldtimr 01-16-2018 01:34 PM

I would not own a Judge. They were a poor attempt at a self defense gun, not enough rifling to be a good revolver and and a P poor shotgun for hunting. They were made for buckshot and rifled slugs not fine shot. a 410 long gun requires an very good shot gunner to be proficient a 410 handgun is an insult to the game anyone tries to hunt with it coupled with the fact that it is a revolver which means it doesn't have the velocity a long gun has makes it a gun to have fun on targets with, or self defense, not hunting. That is my opinion and I an standing by it. If you really want a 410 handgun, buy a single shot like the contender.

coolbrze0 01-19-2018 05:53 PM

Thanks guys. I've got 2 buddies that have Judges & I've used both theirs & killed bunnies. I like hearing my dogs run more than shooting so it's almost like the novelty of having one. The TC Contender was choice #2 :)

bronko22000 01-20-2018 09:20 AM

I'm of the same opinion as Oldtimr. A Judge would be fine for bunnines within 10 yards but beyond that the pattern opens up too much for reliable multiple hits on fast moving game. the Judge was designed as a self defense firearm for "across the room" distance. For that purpose a load of buck shot or other large shot it will take down just about any intruder. Accuracy with .45's is not too good. But then again, why use .45s when with a .410 shot charge you have enough.
I owned a Judge but after shooting in and testing it I sold it within 2 weeks. Its too bulky to be a carry gun and for sure not a hunting firearm.

JagMagMan 01-21-2018 03:48 PM

I'm of the same opinion as OT and Bronko!