Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
6.5 Creedmoor? >

6.5 Creedmoor?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

6.5 Creedmoor?

Old 12-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

My head hurts reading this thread...

But I'll still put in my opinion...the Creed is nothing new, it's over a decade old. The only reasons it's popular is because Hornady is great at marketing, cheap "good" ammo, and the velocity restrictions in the PRS.

For a cheap to shoot plinker/target rifle they fill a niche.

For a hunting rifle, velocity kills and the Creed is pretty weak.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:35 PM
Typical Buck

I always find that statement, "velocity kills" to be a bit misleading. Actually in many cases, downright incorrect. There are 3 major factors to getting a bullet into the interior organs. Velocity, weight, bullet construction. While the creed is an okay round, it sure isn't the song and dance Hornady tries to make it out to be. I'd take a 7mm-08 over it all day and twice on Sunday.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
I always find that statement, "velocity kills" to be a bit misleading. Actually in many cases, downright incorrect. There are 3 major factors to getting a bullet into the interior organs. Velocity, weight, bullet construction. While the creed is an okay round, it sure isn't the song and dance Hornady tries to make it out to be. I'd take a 7mm-08 over it all day and twice on Sunday.
You ever shot a game animal with a rifle that had an Impact velocity above 3300fps? there is no doubt velocity kills once you witness it.
RR
Old 12-24-2017, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

just found this little tidbit
https://rifleshooter.com/2015/11/lap...-22-250-brass/
RR
Old 12-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Velocity means nothing without the other 2 factors Ridge Runner and you know it. Low weight and poor bullet construction will lead to limited penetration. And that means limiting your shots to low resistance target areas of the animal. When you are having to take away 60% of your target area on a big game animal, you might just want to reconsider your cartridge/bullet choices.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Velocity means nothing without the other 2 factors Ridge Runner and you know it. Low weight and poor bullet construction will lead to limited penetration. And that means limiting your shots to low resistance target areas of the animal. When you are having to take away 60% of your target area on a big game animal, you might just want to reconsider your cartridge/bullet choices.
been doing it long enough to know, as velocity goes up, bullet construction has to also. however the lowest resistance shot you can take on game is the broadside lung shot, at most you have to penetrate fur and one rib and your smack-dab in the middle of "boiler room city" there goes that factor, now the weight, ok do you know how bullets are made? do you know that generaly the makers use the same cup for several bullets? and that the lighter bullets made with that cup have a thicker jacket because its not drawn out as long? a good cup core bullet will do well till the IV (impact velocity) exceeds 3200 fps, above that I like the nosler accubond, now the difference between an accubond and a ballistic tip? just like a plumber fluxes copper pipe so the solder sticks to it, the jacket is fluxed so the lead core sticks to it, so it may become just a twisted mashed up mass, it stays together retaining weight, long as it has weight it keeps penetrating. have never recovered an accubond yet, except for one I shot int a tree.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 12-24-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
My head hurts reading this thread...

But I'll still put in my opinion...the Creed is nothing new, it's over a decade old. The only reasons it's popular is because Hornady is great at marketing, cheap "good" ammo, and the velocity restrictions in the PRS.

For a cheap to shoot plinker/target rifle they fill a niche.

For a hunting rifle, velocity kills and the Creed is pretty weak.
got the 120 gr ttsx running over 3000 fps and a 130 gr accubond to 2900, hardly weak, pretty close to a 270 winchester.
shoot the 45-70 is pretty weak but theres nothin on the planet you couldnt kill with it.

Last edited by zrexpilot; 12-25-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

the swede and the 260 have been known for being efficient killers on big game, its the .264 bullet that makes them. but the creed made that bullet go mainstream, its why i got one, couldnt ever find anything i liked chambered in 260 or swede, the creed is chambered in every manufacturer and ammo is readily available, thats why its doing so good
took a very nice buck this year, tight behind thoulder 155yds bang flop complete pass through with factory winchester 125 gr ammo, an sd of .266 will punch through everytime, thats why the creed is doing good, that .264 bullet is no joke, shoot the 143 gr has an SD of .29

Last edited by zrexpilot; 12-25-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

We shot 60 rounds through it this week. Factory ammo (129 grains and 2820) and hand loads (120 grains at approx 2900). Groups were under an inch at 100 yards and we had a blast shooting a 10 inch gong at 200 yards. Recoil is very light. Compared to my 300 Weatherby, it's like a BB gun.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
the swede and the 260 have been known for being efficient killers on big game, its the .264 bullet that makes them. but the creed made that bullet go mainstream, its why i got one, couldnt ever find anything i liked chambered in 260 or swede, the creed is chambered in every manufacturer and ammo is readily available, thats why its doing so good
took a very nice buck this year, tight behind thoulder 155yds bang flop complete pass through with factory winchester 125 gr ammo, an sd of .266 will punch through everytime, thats why the creed is doing good, that .264 bullet is no joke, shoot the 143 gr has an SD of .29
zrex, you need to research the hows and whys of ballistics, before you spout off in these posts, they make you appear to be a newb!
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.