Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin XT-22VR >

Marlin XT-22VR

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin XT-22VR

Old 12-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Marlin XT-22VR

My wife keeps asking me what I want for Christmas. I'm really not sure. However, since losing my Ruger 10-22 Deluxe to my 16 yo son, I could probably use a good 22 lr.

So what's the general consensus on the Marlin XT-22VR? Is it a fairly accurate rifle?

Thanks, NYH.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, the Marlin XT-22 will be quite accurate, likely moreso than your 10/22 was. The Savage 93 and Mark II's, CZ 455 & 452's, the Marlin, Ruger American Rimfire... Pick any of these, if they don't shoot well for you, there's probably something wrong with that particular rifle. The only real downside to the VR you linked for accuracy, which is what's wrong with any of the above in their synthetic stock forms, is the flexible synthetic stock. Inexpensive work can be done to stiffen them and ensure pure free float, or care can be taken while shooting to minimize pressure against the stock, but that's the only bad I could really ever say about any of the lower cost synthetic models on the market.

Any of this list should shoot 2" at 100yrds or better.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Nome.

NYH.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Would the Ruger American Target be a better way to go because of the stock?

Thanks, NYH.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I probably should of looked at more of these in the first place. I noticed the Savage Mark II BV is kind of what I'm looking for too. Which is a traditional type heavy barrel 22 lr bolt action that I'll mount a Leupold Rim Fire Scope on.

Thanks, NYH1.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

I’d take a serious look at the CZ 452 or 455 22 rifles.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I looked on CZ's web site. Nobody has any around me though.

Thanks, NYH1.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by New York Hunter
I probably should of looked at more of these in the first place. I noticed the Savage Mark II BV is kind of what I'm looking for too. Which is a traditional type heavy barrel 22 lr bolt action that I'll mount a Leupold Rim Fire Scope on.

Thanks, NYH1.
If you can free float, block, and bed that Savage, you'll be very happy with it. It'll shoot very well out of the box, and even moreso after giving the action a solid bedding and getting all pressure away from the barrel. The CZ likely has a slight edge on all of the other models in terms of absolute average accuracy (meaning a hundred of their rifles would ON AVERAGE shoot better than a hundred of anyone elses), but as I mentioned before, all of the Ruger American Rimfire, Marlin XT, Savage 93 and Mark II, or CZ 452 or 455 will shoot incredibly well. If you need more precision than these deliver, you're likely shooting in some competition format where an Annie or a Win 52 will be required - next level precision expectations...

I'm generally a Ruger guy, and I'm not 100% sure why this is, but I just haven't been able to get on board with the Ruger American rifle or Rimfire. I have a Ruger Precision Rifle which is absolutely fine for what it is, but I just find myself buying OTHER things besides the Ruger American Rifle or Rimfire. I've seen them shoot incredibly well, however, so I have no qualms in recommending them.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Nome.

NYH1.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Went with the Savage Mark II BV.

NYH1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.