HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Slugs in my Shotgun?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/416265-slugs-my-shotgun.html)

dig4gold 11-18-2017 09:25 AM

Slugs in my Shotgun??

I have a Winchester Model 1897 pump shotgun made in the mid 50's.
It has the 30" barrel, takes 2 3/4" shells, and is labeled to have a fixed "FULL" choke. It has a smooth bore.
I have never shot it as it was left to me by my late Father-In-Law and prize it more than the actual value of the gun. And just don't sky bust anymore.
BUT . . . Can I safely shoot slugs in it? My research leans me toward using the Brenneke K.O.'s.
ALSO . . . I would be happy to hear some of your slug suggestions for this gun.

Oldtimr 11-18-2017 09:53 AM

I would not shoot modern rifled slugs in that shotgun. A full choke is not the optimum for slugs'

Ridge Runner 11-18-2017 10:27 AM

may or may not shoot them very well but they won't hurt it.
RR

dig4gold 11-18-2017 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4321076)
may or may not shoot them very well but they won't hurt it.
RR

;[Any other slugs or slug type you could recommend?

Ridge Runner 11-18-2017 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by dig4gold (Post 4321086)
;[Any other slugs or slug type you could recommend?

in a smooth bore thats about the only choice you have, will a dime fall through the barrel?
RR

dig4gold 11-19-2017 04:16 AM

Took me a while to find a dime!
But no . . . a dime will not go through the muzzle from either direction.
Probly not good, huh?
Here's my dilemma . . . I'm hunting an area that only allows "Limited Range Weapons" and thought I could use slugs in a shotgun. And I'm hunting Elk.

Ridge Runner 11-19-2017 04:25 AM

ok, its a full choke, possibly extra full, drop it down the barrel, how far from the muzzle does it fall?
RR

dig4gold 11-19-2017 04:37 AM

The dime won't go halfway. Just under half.
I've mic'd it at .7". And it is stamped "FULL" on the barrel.
I'm thinking that the sabot may not travel as far as a more open choke, but the bullet accuracy should not be compromised. Biggest concern is doing any damage to the gun . . . OR ME!

Paulpskp 11-19-2017 06:36 AM

Rifled slugs are designed for smoothbore barrels. A more open choke would be better than full but it should not hurt the barrel. Do you have another shotgun that you can use? If it were me I would put that model 97 on the wall and leave it there. If you could find another barrel with a more open choke you could use it for any small game or birds or big game. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

dig4gold 11-19-2017 06:49 AM

I have a 20ga that takes 3" with a fixed "MODIFIED" choke.
I agree the Model 97 should be hanging on the wall. But this hunt has put me in a bind (didn't read the rules before applying!) It's a one-off hunt and I'm not financially fixed to buy a Hawkins, or handgun, or another shotgun/barrel. Looks like the ballistics are very comperable between 2 3/4" 12ga and 3" 20ga. Much the same drop/energy, etc.