Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
6.5 Creedmoor Weatherby or Bergara? >

6.5 Creedmoor Weatherby or Bergara?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

6.5 Creedmoor Weatherby or Bergara?

Old 10-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Spike

Smile 6.5 Creedmoor Weatherby or Bergara?

I've done a ton of research, and I've while the Ruger American Predator used to be at the top of my list, I got to hold one and I can't stand the stalk. Seems so flexible that it could touch the barrel off of a bipod. If I'm wrong let me know, but I just have a tough time getting past that. So I've narrowed it down to two guns that both have sub MOA guarantees - The Weatherby Vanguard S2 and the Bergara B14 Hunter. I'm really leaning toward the hunter because I had originally wanted a Remington 700 but heard some bad things about the trigger and the fact that the barrel wasn't free floated. From my research it sounds like the Bergara accepts almost all Remington 700 part upgrades, and they've also free floated the barrel and the trigger is Bergara's and is supposed to be better than the stock 700. I can get the Bergara for $640 or the Weatherby for roughly $500. Is the Bergara worth the extra $140? I've heard nothing but good things about the Weatherby, but it does not have a free floated barrel and I worry that it could be more susceptible to changing weather conditions. That said, I'm new to rifles above the quality of walmart brands, so I don't know whether or not a floated barrel is necessary if it already shoots sub MOA. My main goal is to find a rifle I can use for a long time to hunt, but also to shoot long range (we're building about a 900 yd range now). I'd like to do it right the first time, but also not spend a ton of money upfront. I plan to put a Nikon Black X1000 xMOA scope on either one. Opinions from anyone who knows more than I do about these guns? (everyone!)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Add the Browning AB3 and Winchester XPR to your list. Both a bit less than the Weatherby, much better stocks than RAR and shoot lights out.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Add the Browning AB3 and Winchester XPR to your list. Both a bit less than the Weatherby, much better stocks than RAR and shoot lights out.
Does XPR come in 6.5 Creedmoor? I haven’t found it. Same issue on the non-floated barrel though. Does it matter long term and past 4-500 yds?
Old 10-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Neither.

Look at the Howa 1500 line of rifles.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by djc227
Does XPR come in 6.5 Creedmoor? I haven’t found it. Same issue on the non-floated barrel though. Does it matter long term and past 4-500 yds?
In both regular and compact versions.

The only thing that matters about the barrel is that it shoots. One that doesn’t won’t regardless of bedding. The XPR barrels shoot like crazy.

I found these rifles (XPR & AB3) when doing a project for a friend. I was absolutely astounded at the difference in their quality vs the competition such as the Ruger American, Savage Axis (any Savage, really), Remington 783 and 700 SPS, and all of the Marlin and Mossberg stuff. The only ones at the “entry level” I like as well are the Weatherby Vanguard and Howa rifles mentioned above, but even those didn’t feel as good in hand or shouldered.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 10-26-2017 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 11-03-2017, 04:39 AM
Spike

Take a look at the Tikka. I just bought a Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor after looking at the Howa 1500 which I also like very well but the Tikka appears to be a higher quality made rifle.