Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
2 rifles and 2 different scopes - which on which? >

2 rifles and 2 different scopes - which on which?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

2 rifles and 2 different scopes - which on which?

Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Spike

Default 2 rifles and 2 different scopes - which on which?

I originally posted this in the optics section but there doesn't seem to be much traffic out that way. Pasting the original message here for a bit more visibility.

I've been lurking the forums for awhile now but this is my maiden post and I'm looking forward to your thoughts and opinions on what scope I should pair with which rifle.

For a little background, I have several rifles in nearly every common caliber and have been shooting for decades. However, I've recently started taking precision shooting a lot more serious. My intent with the rifle/scope combos mentioned below is long(or what used to be considered long at least) range big game hunting (elk/moose/bear) with a typical range of 200-400 yards. With that, I'll be retiring from the military in about a year and the hope is to then move to Alaska. If that plays out, I would suspect most shots would be inside 200 yards in the areas I'm looking at. Anyway, on to the question at hand and the options I have to work with.

Rifle 1: M70 Extreme Weather Stainless in 338 Win Mag
Rifle 2: M70 Shadow in 7mm WSM.
Both rifles are 100% stock and are primarily used as hunting rifles (i.e. not dedicated extreme 1000 yard bench rifles)

Scope 1: Last years Nikon Monarch 7, 4-16x50 w/30mm tube and XR turret
Scope 2: This years Monarch 5 ED, 3-15x50 w/1" tube and the SF Advanced BDC reticle (not the XR turret).

While there is no wrong answer here, my dilemma is in trying to figure out which rifle to keep the Monarch 7 on and send in the ballistic data to pair up with the XR turret. I currently have the Monarch 7 on the 7mm WSM (just got the 338) but have no problem switching things around if it makes more sense. The mail in code for the XR turret hasn't been used though of course.

Both rifles shoot like a dream and are sub-MOA out to ~300 yards, which is the absolute farthest I generally shoot. However, I do want to be able to make humane shots out to 400+ (moose/elk/large target) if I had to though.

With that, how would you pair these up and why? Thanks!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the question is what rifle will you hunt with most and have the distances involved you worry about here
both guns and calibers will kill game at them distances and both are rather close in drop
the 338 will I believe carry more energy due to it can handle heavier bullets
when I ran about AK< I was carrying a 7mm08 in a rather light weight custom rilfe witha 4.5x14 scope on it, I killed 7+ caribou with it all dropped in tracks at ranges of 250-450 yards
granted there not as tuff to kill as a moose LOL
but the key really is knowing your rifle and where it hits at ALL ranges you will shoot at game and feel confident doing so

I am getting older and I find higher power optic's help me shoot better at distance, I will accept the gains in a few ounces to get the better sight picture and bullet placement they offer me

this is again the personal choice, NOT all shooters like the same things

and everyone has there opinions
its your rifle, you will be carrying it and shooting it
set up what ever rifle as you like, and that you shoot it well? and thats all you need to do, and not worry about what others think or say is BETTER!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:49 PM
Spike

mrbb, thanks for the post. Definitely not looking for someone to make up my mind for me. I'm looking for others thoughts and opinions on what setup they'd go with and why. There is a lot of wisdom on this forum I'd like to leverage and someone may bring up something I wasn't thinking about. As I said in my post though, there is no right or wrong answer here and both rifles are on par as far as how they shoot at known distances. And like my children, I love both rifles equally. :-)
Old 09-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

This might sound like a non-answer, but it really is not...

Flip a coin. 3-15x vs. 4-16x and only shooting to 400yrds with either a 338wm or 7mm RM, either rifle will get there without much dial or hold over, and since they are Nikon's, I'm guessing you can't get much over 12-13x with either of them before they start showing edge effects anyway.

So as you put it, there is no wrong answer here. They're not twins, but they're interchangeable for the application.

If it were me, I'd sell both. I don't enjoy BDC reticles, and I'm too non-committal with my scopes and travel too much to permanently etch my turrets for a "one load, one location" trajectory. So I'd sell both scopes and get milling or moa-ing reticles, matching the adjustment click units, and have an easier system to use - and ONE system for both rifles.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

3-15 on the .338
Old 09-22-2017, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

either or.

Personally, I'd get the data paired up with your .7mm. I'd be more likely to shoot long with that than the .338.

But, to 400 yards, it really doesn't matter either way.

-Jake
Old 09-22-2017, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
But, to 400 yards, it really doesn't matter either way.
That's my contention. We're talking about managing 4-5MOA of drop at worst. It's not even much of a challenge with a plex reticle and no dialing. Throw in either a graduated reticle or dialing and you get there with ease. It's right on the edge of "bad enough to need something," but not really bad enough to REALLY need something.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Spike

Thanks for the feedback guys, all valid points. These Monarchs are pretty impressive for the price (I think I picked up the 5 for around $330 and the 7 for $520ish through Natchez, new/non-refurb/blems) but as mentioned, at max zoom there is slight edging. For a hunting scope though, they are everything I could hope for and at the limited range I shoot, I don't mind the BDC reticles either. It will be nice having a dialed in turret as well if it works as advertised.

Once I start plinking at longer distances, I agree that an upgraded scope is in order and I need to get smart(er) on adjusting for mil, wind, barometric pressure and all the other nuances that really matter when going long. I'm not there yet though and these rifles aren't for that. A new 6.5 may be in my future though for just that....
Old 09-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd want the 3x on the 338 or even lower mag, 2x.... ie for big dangerous game. I'd take 2/3x vs. 4x on the 338.

both have high mag top end.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Rifle 1 scope 2. Rifle 2 scope 1. Reason the 338 will likely end up in close on a larger then your average bear. 1 power does not seem like much until you are in real close and then it is alot.
PS thank you for serving your country and enjoy your up coming retirement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.