Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
If you could only pick one... >

If you could only pick one...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

If you could only pick one...

Old 10-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm Rem Mag in a Rem Model 700 in a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock shooting a handloaded 160 gr Nosler (either Partition of Accubond) topped with a 3x9 Leupold. Been using that combo for quite awhile and it has never let me down. I have taken mulies, whitetails, blacktails, elk, black bear, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, mountain goat and hogs with it. Nothing flashy, just dependable results.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:08 AM
Fork Horn

I will take the 7mm Rem Mag as well, I have had a Weatherby vanguard with the synthetic stock since 86 and the rifle is still performing admirably. For thin skin game Seirra Game King 160gr has resulted in drt. For other game the partition in the same weight. Though I have a Nikon Monarch 3-9 right now vortex has peaked my interest. I've had the vortex range finder for three years now and it is sweet.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Spike

My Winchester 300 Mag which is currently scope less. I banged up the last scope trying to get my little Honda 200 ATV across a stream so I could drag an elk.

Failed to notice the replacement scope is 30mm. Cabela's ring supplies were very low last week.

In spite of being voted "Jolly Green Giant" of my high school, I don't relish carrying cannons for my typical ~4 - 6 hour jaunts. Must be the shoulder strength that flags mentioned...

Shoots pretty flat and hits pretty hard. The recoil is fun when something is in the scope. Animals "tend" to flop over and quit moving. 'Cept when I miss. Running game is far, far more difficult for me.

7mm Mag is likely my second choice. Might be about first but that gun is just too purty to hunt with all the time.

The .270 with synthetic stock is easy to hunt with. Black synthetic looks like hell to me, I'm a wood guy having been a cabinet maker. Not worrying about the stock is nice at times though. Black synthetic is immensely practical.

Bullet choices? I remain unconvinced that is often of supreme importance. I don't worry too much about what load I am using. I once found my hand loaded Grand Slam bullet wedged in an elks spinal column. I could have reloaded that bullet. Perhaps a bit too sturdy? If using something less than 7mm, I would worry more about bullet construction. Of course I use bullets "made" for the game I am chasing. Though I would likely be "OK" if forced to use lead bullets....within reason.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Spike

Super grade 30.06 or 700 with good synthetic stock & Timney trigger. Leupold optics
Old 11-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Spike

If I could only pick one, it would be a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 358 Win and would top it with a Leupold VX II (or 2) 3-7x33. What I like about the 358 is that it can shoot 180 grain bullets at near 30-06 velocities and 225 grain and 250 grain bullets will take pretty much anything in NA. If I could choose only one bullet it would probably be a 225 gr NP but, I could easily easily swayed to choose a 225 gr Sierra GameKing SPBT because they are really accurate in my Hawkeye.

My 358 Win has been my deer rifle of choice and my primary or backup rifle for the last few year's elk hunts. Sadly, this year was my last elk hunt. Age, along with back, knees and shoulder problems, finally made me realize that I'm no longer the spring chicken that I am (or was) in my mind's eye. Just means that I'll be doubling up on my deer, turkey and hog hunts.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

For lower 48, I'll stick with my Ruger M77 7MM Mag. Though I might go to better glass. But the 3-9 Bushnell I have had for the past 20 years is still going strong. I can find light to heavy bullets on most shelves.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

while the rifles might seem a bit too powerful in many peoples opinion
I think most of us tend to select the rifles and calibers we have the most confidence in,
or have had the best results using.

I've never regretted using a synthetic stock/stainless weatherby mark V in 340 weatherby,(similar to these two pictures)
for most of my western hunting
I've used a sako 375 H&H carbine for the thicker timber

Last edited by hardcastonly; 01-11-2018 at 12:19 PM.