Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Pet peeve - two shots close, messed up third shot >

Pet peeve - two shots close, messed up third shot

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pet peeve - two shots close, messed up third shot

Old 09-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pet peeve - two shots close, messed up third shot

While shooting my 221 Fireball Encore this afternoon, I experienced one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to shooting:

My first two shots were right on top of each other (the bottom left hole). My third shot, though, wasn't. Oh well, I'll try again, after adjusting the scope:

Except it happened again. The first two shots (the higher two) were quite close together, but the third was quite a bit further away.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a 7mm Rem Mag that did that...drove me nuts!
Old 09-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to try is to let the rifle cool (way) down between shots. If you see no difference it may be you.

I've noticed the longer I shoot, I may shoot worse. More shots don't necessarily make you better. It isn't osmosis (the process of gradual or unconscious assimilation of ideas, knowledge or talents), it is repeating the good shooting steps exactly the same way every time.

Trigger jerk or lazy method are the two most common reasons, shooting a hot gun, the most likely.

My SSG will clover leaf them if I'm doing my part. It won't if I shoot it hot.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
One thing to try is to let the rifle cool (way) down between shots. If you see no difference it may be you.

I've noticed the longer I shoot, I may shoot worse. More shots don't necessarily make you better. It isn't osmosis (the process of gradual or unconscious assimilation of ideas, knowledge or talents), it is repeating the good shooting steps exactly the same way every time.

Trigger jerk or lazy method are the two most common reasons, shooting a hot gun, the most likely.

My SSG will clover leaf them if I'm doing my part. It won't if I shoot it hot.
I think the issue was the loose nut behind the trigger.