HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Torn (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/415591-torn.html)

06300bang 09-16-2017 11:10 AM

Torn

Looking to buy a new rifle and I'm torn between the following rifles:
Savage 111 308
Remington CDL 308
Remington CDL SS 308
Remington Mtn. SS 308 (concerned about pencil thin barrel)

I have some Savages now and they shoot sub-moa all day they just don't look the prettiest.

Oldtimr 09-16-2017 12:08 PM

I bought my grandson an older Savage 111 used in .243. It has nice wood hand cut checkering and a butter smooth bolt. It also is a tack driver. I bought used because I didn't know if he would stick with hunting and he is left handed and I didn't want to tie up a lot of money in a gun I couldn't shoot. If it wasn't a left handed bolt I would love to hunt with the rifle.

bronko22000 09-16-2017 12:14 PM

Savage is a good rifle and won't break your wallet. If you're use to the Savages why not stay with them. Yes the Rem is a sleeker looking rifle and if it were me I opt for the SS version.
BTW have you looked at Tikka T3 rifles? Those are some sweet rifles and excellent shooters as well.

Berserker 09-16-2017 08:35 PM

I have a couple savages, and don't like the quirks of them. Such as leupold scopes are cantalevered over magazine. I have also had issues with failing to load, and fail to fire. Bolt passing over round, and dented primers.

That being said, they are extrememly popular.

But no point discussing any of this, if you don't say your goal.

I have thought about Remington 700 mountain gun, for carrying in woods. It will heat up, and slow to work up loads. At some point I will probably sell my savage weather warrior and get one. Can't have a gun you don't trust. Even if failure is only every 100 or 150 rounds.

But talking about this is useless. Since we don't know what you want to hunt, where, or how.

But I vote for 700s.

06300bang 09-16-2017 08:38 PM

I was thinking about a Winchester Model 70 as well.

Mountain SS is a nice looking rifle but I don't want to wait 8 years between shots if practicing at the range. :)

:)

Berserker 09-16-2017 09:01 PM

Are you hunting in a blind near 4 wheeler, or walking a mile or so?

06300bang 09-17-2017 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Berserker (Post 4315904)
Are you hunting in a blind near 4 wheeler, or walking a mile or so?

walking :)

Another option may be to buy an SPS and then put an aftermarket stock on it.

Nomercy448 09-18-2017 01:27 AM

Skip the mountain rifle unless you're really looking for something very light.

Personally, I'm a Stainless guy, so having the SS CDL on the list, I scratch the blued CDL.

The 111 is blued, but knowing the trigger will supercede the CDL, and the precision be better - and knowing both need a block & bed job, I'd probably be looking for a 116 stainless, or 112, but the Savage is a great rifle for the money. If I bought the blued, I'd likely find myself cerakoting it shortly thereafter.

Play odd-man between the 111, CDL, and CDL SS. All 3 are right answers to the same question. The Mountain Rifle has just enough specialty strapped to it, I'd pass. If I were needing a lightweight rifle, then the MR is the ONLY right answer, and hard pass on the other 3.

Big Uncle 09-18-2017 12:28 PM

My choice would be either the Mountain Rifle or the stainless CDL. I have both.

My wife hunts mid-sized game with a stainless Mountain Rifle chambered in 270 so naturally I do all of the load development and shoot it fairly frequently. The barrel does heat quickly but it is not noticeable if I shoot three shot groups. The five and ten shot groups take a bit of time at the range, but it is quite a nice shooting rifle. The skinny barrel is not really a problem for a hunting rifle.

I have a couple CDL rifles that not only look good but shoot small groups to boot.

I must admit that the Savage rifles are not my cup of tea but some other fellows really like them.

06300bang 09-18-2017 06:36 PM

Remington's walnut stocks are good quality on the 700?