HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Cut receiver (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/415441-cut-receiver.html)

Juston 09-01-2017 08:04 AM

Cut receiver

I was looking at a gun parts kit with a cut receiver as per batf. I wanted to know If I can send the receiver to a company who could convert it to semi auto or if there is someone I should bring it to? The description says it would be perfect for a semi auto build so there has to be some way to fix this. Thanks in advance.

Juston 09-01-2017 08:08 AM

Buying the parts kit has a big discount but if the receiver can be fixed, how much will it cost?

burniegoeasily 09-01-2017 08:50 AM

I dont know. Im sure you could find a gunsmith to do it. I have done all mine myself, but have the tools to do so. Just be careful what you have and how it is configured. Example, if you have a PPS, that has been cut but the stock still unfolds, you are looking at jail time. Unless you weld the stock down or remove it, or get a SBR stamp. I suggest this because I have seen many parts kits that could get somebody in trouble if they are not careful. Same with AK parts kits, make sure you meet r922.

Juston 09-01-2017 09:48 AM

So any gunsmith should be able to do it? My gun is a full sized rifle, not a sbr.

burniegoeasily 09-01-2017 10:23 AM

Not sure if all will, some around here will, some wont. I guess it just depends. I have a mig/tig welder as well as a wire and stick welders so I just do them myself. I would just call around and see. What kit are you looking at? Sometimes you can find American made receivers.

Juston 09-01-2017 11:08 AM

I was looking at a couple of sets, but I really just wanted to know If there were people who could weld the receivers. I'll look and see if I can't find a semi auto receiver and if I can't I'll call some gunsmith and see if they can do it.

Juston 09-01-2017 11:10 AM

How do you turn the reciever into a semi auto? If you welded it back together wouldn't it just become full auto again?

burniegoeasily 09-05-2017 09:59 AM

Depends on the gun.

Nomercy448 09-05-2017 11:11 AM

You really have to give more detail about the specific model. Some can be welded back together and the fire control group made to only function in semiauto and everything is groovy. Some can't be welded back together at all (cost effectively vs. remanufacturing a semi-auto only receiver). So kick us some models and we can be of more help.

You also have to consider, a "de-milled" receiver is not a firearm. Welding one back together is creating of a firearm. Perfectly legal to do so for yourself as a SEMI-AUTO, but it gets a little hairy if you're paying someone to do so for you, as legally they'll be the manufacturer, not for personal use.

Juston 09-08-2017 10:32 AM

So I can't pay someone to fix it for me? I don't really want to do it myself. I was looking a either a UK 59, cz 26, or a fal. I know if I get the cz that I'll have to register it as an sbr so I'm just using it as an example but prolly won't get it.