Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.260 Rem for Canadian Bull Moose >

.260 Rem for Canadian Bull Moose

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.260 Rem for Canadian Bull Moose

Old 10-14-2017, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Well RR, I have to agree and disagree a bit. While yes speed kills, bullet construction has so much to do with that. I myself hunted them with the .300WM as I stated and with 220gr bullets. The Interlock bullets are a fairly stout bullet and can handle the speeds of the .300WM pretty well. And it's a big old bullet making a big old hole and a whole lot of soup in between the ribs. Places you get shots on Moose are not often considered long range shots. Most would be pretty lucky to have a 300+ yard shot on one. But you also need to consider the bone density of a Moose compared to the little Eastern Whitetail you poke at. Not meaning any offense, just that there is around 1500+ pounds of difference. The rib bone of a Moose is pretty near what the shoulder of a Whitetail in bone density and thickness from your neck of the woods would be. It's not so much the speed you need to factor into the equation but bullet weight and construction.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

100% correct, the thing that causes bullet failure is high velocity impacts speed will not help if you do not use a bullet that is heavy enough or tough enough to survive the trip, was not implying that you could use the wrong bullet at high speed
RR
Old 10-15-2017, 05:27 AM
Spike

We are talking about both a valuable and expensive hunt and the life of a treasured large game animal. I take both pretty seriously.

The .260 is basically a necked down .308 and capable of great accuracy. It can project a 140 grain bullet at a good velocity.

Elk are large tough animals and about half the size of moose, if that. Large mass = large bones = bullet stoppage and/or fragmentation of smaller bullets.

Are you guaranteed the perfect shot? Are you always capable of perfect shooting? If not, I would certainly recommend some insurance.....a larger load. A couple great moose loads off the top of my head? .338 Lapua or.338/.378 Weatherby, 8MM Mag, .375 H&H.

If I was a local and moose populations were very, very abundant, then I *may be* alright with a 30-06 or 7MM Mag.

I love big game and hope the license fees help assure a good future for the game. If we want to eat meat, an animal must pay the price. At the same time, the demand is what made their life possible....speaking of livestock here. I believe a quick and humane kill is our responsibility.

Having attended an outfitters convention, I will attest that professional elk outfitters prefer to see their clients show up with largish bullets that leave largish holes. They prefer bullet size over bullet speed.

A great thing about guns is that they hold their value better than 90% of the stuff we buy. One can likely buy a slightly used gun then sell it at ~ a 10% loss. Not bad at all.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Elk are way harder to kill than moose.I've shot truckloads with the 6.5x55,.270,30-30 and a few with a .338 win mag.No difference in how quick they died.A friend of my son's has a spinal injury so larger calibers are not an option.His moose dropped with a .243 Use premium bullets ,Partitions,Barnes TTSX etc. They aren't cape buffalo.A high shoulder shot and they go nowhere,but keep in mind they have 6" on hair on the hump so allow for that.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

http://outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=21770
The .303 British has been putting round holes in square heads since 1888

Last edited by Pioneer2; 11-14-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

The .260 Rem is plenty for moose. A big bull elk is harder to kill and my biggest bull ever was taken at 435 yards with a 125gr Nosler Partition fired from the similar 6.5x.284. Went down like he was struck by lightning and never even twitched. Bullet destroyed both shoulders and left a 2” exit hole. There was nothing left of his boiler room.

If you want to take it because you have confidence in it, load your .260 up with Barnes 120gr TTSX or 130gr TSX and rock on. Those bullets will penetrate as deep as anything.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can afford the hunt, then you can afford a gun worthy of the game. While one can kill a moose with a .223 Remington, it's not what I'd choose.....IMO the old .30-06 is a minimum unless you can be assured that the shot you get will be the classic broadside shot to the rib cage.

If the only shot you get is a quartering away or toward you, then you'll wish you had a lot more gun with a bonded bullet for the penetration and energy level to do the job.