HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   .35 Remington (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/415222-35-remington.html)

BrushyPines 08-14-2017 10:50 AM

.35 Remington

I know someone trying to sell this caliber and debating whether to buy it or not.

Any one shot this caliber?

What are the pros & cons of this caliber?

I'll be using this caliber specifically for deer.

Nomercy448 08-14-2017 11:26 AM

Grab one up in a Marlin and be merry. Recoil is stiff if you're used to a 30-30 or 243, but not bad. That old cliche' - "it's more of a shove than a kick," - tends to apply. Anchors deer very well. 35cal seems to be waning pretty badly in light of 338 hunting cartridges like 338WM and Federal, but it's always killed deer well, it always will.

If you're in brush where you're not shooting long and need deer to go down quickly, it's a great option. If you aren't in the bramble or needed a bit more range, I'd personally probably prefer a 7-08 over a 35rem.

hunters_life 08-14-2017 11:33 AM

The old .35rem is without a doubt one of the best lever gun cartridges ever made. Although I am more partial to the .444, the old .35 is without a doubt a fine whitetail cartridge for the heavy woods hunter. As with most every cartridge, the .35 can be loaded to much better performance than most factory offerings. Near every .35 made are great brush guns since they are light and usually 22 inch, or under, barrels so they maneuver well in the thick stuff. If you don't reload, ammo availability may be a question. I know back when we lived in Pa I almost always saw it stocked on the shelves but it was also a very popular cartridge in Pa. I don't know about MS where you live.
Of course it isn't a long range cartridge. Around 150 yards is about as far as you will want to push it for good terminal performance.

grinder67 08-14-2017 12:02 PM

I shoot it in a pistol and like it alot but never shot it in a rifle

BrushyPines 08-14-2017 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4313403)
Grab one up in a Marlin and be merry. Recoil is stiff if you're used to a 30-30 or 243, but not bad. That old cliche' - "it's more of a shove than a kick," - tends to apply. Anchors deer very well. 35cal seems to be waning pretty badly in light of 338 hunting cartridges like 338WM and Federal, but it's always killed deer well, it always will.

If you're in brush where you're not shooting long and need deer to go down quickly, it's a great option. If you aren't in the bramble or needed a bit more range, I'd personally probably prefer a 7-08 over a 35rem.

The reason I am interested is because of MS' primitive weapon season. A .35 caliber or higher qualifies as a primitive weapon so why not? The only caliber I have right now that qualifies is a 44 Rem Mag and the range with that caliber is not impressive!

BrushyPines 08-14-2017 01:18 PM

How does the .35 Remington compare to the .35 Whelen?

hunters_life 08-14-2017 02:58 PM

Got a better picture of what you are looking at. I am assuming since you want it for the PW season that you are looking at some sort of single shot rifle. The .35WH is a far more powerful cartridge capable of pushing a much larger bullet. The .35WH is a .30-06 case necked up to .35. If you are looking to go after whitetail only, the .35REM will probably suit your needs as well as your shoulder and wallet much better than the .35WH.

PaJack 08-14-2017 03:21 PM

I used one when I first started hunting 40 years ago,great deer caliber..:D

Nomercy448 08-15-2017 04:19 AM

The Whelen is a lot more cartridge than the .35 Rem. With an uber load, the Rem will push a 200grn pill somewhere around 2300, factory fodder will be around 2050-2100. The Whelen will push the same 200grn pill up over 2800 with a smile on its face. A lot more powder, a lot more recoil... fantastic cartridges in their own rights, however, both of them. Just different weight classes.

Don't count out your 44mag in a conversation about the .35 Remington. Getting a 240 up over 1600fps isn't a challenge, even 1750 can be within reach. The 240 XTP has a BC just over .2, most of the blunt 200 grn pills for the .35 Rem aren't much, if any better, and again - you're only talking 2100-ish feet per second. I shoot .44mags out to 250-300 fairly regularly, my 250yrd hold is the bottom edge of my 1st mil-dot. 250 with a .35 Rem would be just a touch over half a mil. Not a big enough difference for me to buy a new rifle over - especially when the .44mag is cheaper for factory ammo (and more widely available), and uses less than half of the powder of the .35rem.

Don't let that discourage you from buying a new rifle if you want one - as the .35 Rem is a great round, but I also wouldn't want a guy to buy a new rifle thinking it would change their world compared to their owned rifle, without really feeling out what the real differences might be.

MudderChuck 08-15-2017 06:06 AM

I like my 35 Rem rifle. One of those rounds that doesn't look real good on paper, but actually works well.

Moderate distance, 200 yards or less. Moderate recoil allows for a quick second shot if needed.

Seems to pack a punch, I use mine mostly for hogs. 200 grain, round nose soft point. Good expansion at a hundred yards. I call mine "the hammer". Most times I can see the Hog stagger when hit, while my .308 (165 grn core lokt) seems to make them flinch or shudder.

One oddity is I get very few holes all the way through 100-150 pound hogs, The round seems to want to dump all of it's energy quickly. Holes all the way through a Hog makes them easier to track if you get an unlucky hit. But the left over energy in the bullet after it passes through a Hog is wasted energy.

When my old Model 8 eventually dies from old age, I'll likely buy a lever gun in 35 Rem.