HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Recoil Pad Choice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/414205-recoil-pad-choice.html)

Dennis81082 06-08-2017 08:55 AM

Recoil Pad Choice

Sims, Pachmayer, Kick-Eze

Please list your preference and why:

New member here,
I purchased a light weight rifle for my son and recoil is noticeable, not extreme but don't want to start any bad habits. He's a stout 19yo and has hunted and shot many different firearms for years.
I will be doing lots of bench work developing hand loads.

Looking for opinions/suggestions of actual users of above products.
Thanks

TN Lone Wolf 06-08-2017 09:09 AM

I'm quite fond of the Limbsaver slip-on pads.

Of the three brands you listed, the only one I've tried is from Pachmayr, and that was a pistol grip, so I can't help you with those.

Oldtimr 06-08-2017 10:39 AM

I have a pachmayr on my Mod 88 Win. .308, works for me and a factory pad on my Marlin 45-70 so I don't know who made it but it works for me. However I am not bothered much by recoil and only really feel it at the bench.

hunters_life 06-08-2017 12:24 PM

All 3 work well on various applications. They each have different models and some work better than others on various rifles and with various cartridge choices. To say which one would be best for your particular application would be in need of more information other than just a lightweight rifle. Some cases would be best served with a Sims, limbsaver, slip over pad for more length of pull to get a better fit to the shooter. Others would be best served with a cut to fit Pachmayer. My 7mm magnum is fairly light weight and was a bit short for me. Took off the crappy factory pad and installed a spacer and a Pachmayer decelerator pad. Fits me perfectly now and doesn't have near as much felt recoil. But I honestly feel the fitting part is more important than the pad itself absorbing recoil. A poorly fit rifle will always hurt worse than one fitting well. That in itself will also cause some bad shooting habits.

Big Uncle 06-08-2017 12:53 PM

I use mostly Pachmayr Decelerator pads these days.

Sheridan 06-08-2017 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 4307282)
I use mostly Pachmayr Decelerator pads these days.

+1

Firm outer edge & soft in the middle - Not "spongy" like Sims.

Disclosure - Not recoil sensitive.

alleyyooper 06-09-2017 03:21 AM

My wife is recoil sensitive and would bruise after just a single shot with her 12ga. I bought a Kick ese dual action pad for her 12 and 20ga which helped a lot. We also added a shooting vest with gel packs to totally solve the problem.

I liked the dual pads so well I bought a magnum pad and installed it on my 300WM and love it.

:D Al

Jenks 06-09-2017 01:43 PM

I agree with TN Lone Wolf about the Limbsaver slip on pads. They cost about $25 at Wally World and absorb a lot of recoil. They do add an inch or so to stock length. I use one on the range where recoil is noticeable and remove it when hunting.

buffybr 06-09-2017 02:56 PM

I put Limbsaver pads on most of my rifles, including my 3 magnum cartridges.