Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Am I crazy? .338 Win Mag >

Am I crazy? .338 Win Mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Am I crazy? .338 Win Mag

Old 05-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the look of the BAR's (almost like the old humpback shotgun in sleek rifle form). Among the reasons I thought it looked like a swell option is the semi-auto action's dampening effect on the recoil. At the same time, given part of the appeal of a .338 is its remarkable performance in the 300-500 yard range (and beyond), I have to ask how accurately does it shoot? I'm especially curious about the one with the BOSS system. I cannot seem to find a consensus online about this; some people seem to claim it shoots solidly MOA, others not so much. The concern might be minimal for elk hunting, given the massive target area, but given my location in the East, I would be more likely to use it on black bear, which seem to have a considerably smaller vitals area.

I feel if I ever get a .338, it'll be from a used gun rack somewhere in the South where someone got buyer's remorse after realizing they'll never use it on a slender Georgia whitetail.
Just want to know how much one is giving up in performance by going the BAR route.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

I sighted in both rifles at 100 yards so that they would be about 3" high, following Jack O'Connor's sighting recommendation in one of his articles. I've shot the Belgium (non-BOSS) rifle out to 400 yards on elk and it's a keeper. I've only shot the newer BOSS rifle out to 300 yards and it shoots well also.

I haven't really played around with the BOSS system to see if you can get that last 1/2" or so of accuracy by tuning it. With the BOSS unit on the rifle, I found it was too long for me (YMMV). If it was the only 338 I had, I would probably replace the BOSS unit with the threaded cap that comes with the rifle as well.

On a side note, the BOSS system is much louder for the shooter and especially for your buddy nearby. My buddy found the non-BOSS rifle tolerable but said the BOSS equipped rifle was just too loud to be anywhere near me when I shot it. I've heard that many guides don't like the BOSS equipped rifles for the same reason but haven't personally spoken with any guides about it. Like most of us on here, I tend to go the DIY route for hunting but, also like many of us on here, tend to hunt with a buddy.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad has the BOSS system on his 7mmRM A-bolt, and it works well, as far as we can tell (I mean, it's pretty darn accurate to begin with).
Most BOSS rifles come with two BOSS systems, don't they? One with a muzzle break and the other that's "normal."
My dad switched from the muzzle break version to the non-recoil reducing one, and is much happier. Ten years ago on a muley/whitetail hunt in Nebraska, it was splitting his ears in wide open country! Have you ever tried switching the BOSSes out?
Old 05-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. they come with both systems. I haven't bothered to switch the systems out since I got a deal on the Belgium BAR without the BOSS and pretty much shoot it exclusively. It was a good trade with a friend.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
We haven't discussed price. I honestly think I could get either for around $500. But I'll have to discuss it with him. What do you think would be a good price on either? Or should I just man up, buy both and sell one lol?
-Jake
Jake,

Ask how much, and then how much for both ?

If you can get someone else interested in "one" of them - Keep the one they don't take.

Great cartridge for big game out west (and up north) !
Old 05-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

338 is one of the great all round cartridges. If you handload you can pretty much tailor t to just about anything besides the really heavy game in Africa. My uncle has used one for years for elk back in my native CO and has taken it to Alaska a few times. Deer, elk, bear and moose have all taken a dirt nap from that rifle.

Personally I use a 375 H&H and a 9.3x62 but if I was looking to replace them the 338 Win would be on the short list of rounds I'd consider.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can't go through life/a hunting career without owning a 338 now can you!? haha.

Get one if you can, can always resell it, I'd probably shoot something like 210 gr bullets out of it, although if I needed more weight maybe 225/250 for a more specific task.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jake - If you're going to go for elk, moose or one of the big bears then the 338 WM is a pretty good choice. The Wins are nice rifles but the Rugers are built like a tank. I had a 77 in 300WM and after I had a trigger job done on it it shot great. But being young and foolish I sold it for something else. I always had a hankering for a 338 but never pulled the trigger on one. (Maybe I can get to shoot one this fall!)
Old 05-09-2017, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Flags, I'd actually been looking for a 9.3 when this guy said he had some .338s he'd consider selling.

Bronko, if I get it it'll definitely be making the trip for bear season. I'll go talk to him tomorrow again.
-JaKe
Old 05-09-2017, 04:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Flags, I'd actually been looking for a 9.3 when this guy said he had some .338s he'd consider selling.
In my humble opinion the 9.3 is the better round. You can get factory loads up to 320 gr. It is mild to shoot and when you hit game with it they go all wobble legged and tip over. I shot a 5 pt whitetail with mine a few years ago when he was facing dead on. Bullet took him at the base of the throat and exited at the base of the tail. End to end pass through with almost no bruising and very little meat damage. Try that with a mag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.