HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   CCW w/o Safety Will Kill You (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/413587-ccw-w-o-safety-will-kill-you.html)

younggun308 05-07-2017 02:41 PM

CCW w/o Safety Will Kill You

I figured I'd adopt a provocative title like uncleMatt did to spur discussion; not saying I agree with the title.

Just saw on Facebook today an acquaintance had to have 4 hours of surgery because his CCW inadvertently fired with he was carrying and driving.
A 9mm +P hollowpoint went through his knee and left hand as he pulled into a driveway. I figure the trigger must have gotten caught on some part of his clothing while we holstered IWB, and only toward the end of his drive got pulled the rest of the way.

Made me glad I 1) have a safety that's easy to switch off at the end of my draw, and that 2) I carry 5 o'clock, so at worst I'll get grazed where Forrest Gump did if anything goes awry while I'm driving.

I doubt there's any single thing that is the solution to preventing this sort of thing from happening, but there are several options. I just wonder which of them that guy will adopt from now on. Aside from what I mentioned above, I investing in holsters that cover the trigger area from both sides or carrying with the safety off but no round chambered (not something I'm comfortable doing) would have also worked.

Oldtimr 05-07-2017 03:04 PM

I would be careful,about believing a gun in a holster just inadvertently fired while a person was just driving his vehicle. That is the kind of story that a person makes up to cover up doing something stupid with a gun. If it sounds like a bogus story it probably is.

younggun308 05-07-2017 03:07 PM

That's certainly possible. Another thing might be he tried adjusting it while seated and carelessly put his finger inside the trigger guard.

CalHunter 05-07-2017 03:48 PM

I totally agree with the title if "safety" means user safety. Every single pistol AD I've ever seen on a range has been due to operator error (finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be). I also agree with OT about using a proper holster to prevent AD's. I haven't personally heard of any "string in a holster" incidents as mentioned by hookeye but am deferring to him on that as he is apparently aware of some and I can understand the principle.

MudderChuck 05-07-2017 07:17 PM

One reason I really like my P-7 squeeze cocker. One of the few pistols I'll carry with one in the chamber. Second best is my Hi Power SA on half cock with a high end holster, thumb break hammer strap.

I saw the pictures of the why and how on one AD with a Glock. The holster was old and well used and had developed a wrinkle in the leather that contacted the trigger.

I've always been a firm believer in Murphys law, whatever can go wrong will go wrong.

Every AD I've seen was a assumed empty firearm and/or operator head space and timing. I have seen a few rounds cook off in the chamber.

I watched one guy clearing his 1911, still had the magazine in, slide slipped, finger on the trigger. Round went in from above and behind his kneecap. Really ugly, the kind of mental image that stays with you a lifetime.

TN Lone Wolf 05-09-2017 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4303558)
I would be careful,about believing a gun in a holster just inadvertently fired while a person was just driving his vehicle. That is the kind of story that a person makes up to cover up doing something stupid with a gun. If it sounds like a bogus story it probably is.

X2

It's easier for a lot of people to say "My gun went off on its own!" than "I wasn't practicing proper trigger discipline."

That said, having owned several jackets with drawstrings in my younger days, I can see the cord getting in the holster when the pistol is inserted. I can't see it being a very likely occurrence, but I can see it happening.

Sheridan 05-09-2017 10:26 AM

+2

Sounds like another Remington 700 "story"; with guns going off without anyone pulling the trigger.

I'd say LOL, but it's not funny.