Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Revolvers will get you killed >

Revolvers will get you killed

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Revolvers will get you killed

Old 05-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fight or flee is in all of us.........It's what you do next that counts !!!

Practice never hurts !
Old 05-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Man do some people on here ramble and BS a lot or what? A very simplistic and easily discussed topic was started and boy did it turn to a steaming pile of total conjecture and outlandish story telling quickly. I would have to say to a couple of the people posting on this topic that you really need to make some different life choices. I'm in the business of protection and security and don't have to go through the things a couple here have posted. And some of our clients have extreme need of our services. Missing fast is still missing. Training and proficiency with whatever you choose to carry is still, and will always be, the most important factor of CCW in the off chance you ever have to use that firearm. Hopefully you will never have to be put in that situation as it is not a good one to be in. But it is always best to train and prepare for the worst situations possible.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

You sound like your dad.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Most times I take that as the highest of compliments CalHunter. Only when I lose my temper do I regret sounding like him. Same temper as his, I just have a much longer fuse.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

It was intended as a compliment. Believe it or not, he actually restrained his temper in here and was a good influence on many.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Note to self. Retiring in Germany sounds like being in Chicago. Neither one is a good alternative.
Four years in east or south L.A. is like forty years in Germany. Stuff still happens, but it is a lot rarer. Tampa Bay was another place that was a real eye opener. In Tampa bay I'd sit out on the porch with a cold Beer on a warm summers night and listen to the gunfire echoing across the Bay, sounded like a war zone.

Around here in the 80's it was the Bader Meinhof setting off bombs. Then it was the reunification and East Germans which weren't the same as the tamer West Germans. Now it is the East Europeans, North Africans and Middle Easterners that prey on the Germans. The Germans are generally sheep, the predators occasionally mistake me for a sheep.

Back on subject, IMO and from experience, revolvers are more reliable than semi autos and easier to deal with when they do misfire. A little practice, a jacket pocket full of speed loaders and you can pump out some rounds if necessary.

I prefer a revolver for a few simple reasons. It is hard to find an auto with the punch of a magnum revolver. The longer sight radius makes long shots possible out to a hundred yards or so. I'm generally more accurate with a revolver.

Having said that, my go to pistol is a single stack 9 mm semi auto with two extra magazines. Just because it is handy and it has never misfired or stove piped on me (yet).

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-01-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I once got caught flat footed bad. We'd just moved into a new house and had contractors and others in and out all the time. I answer the door and two guys with suits are standing there, one says they are there to collect the $5000 I owe them. I told them I had no outstanding bills for $5000, send a bill or call. I was standing door partially opened, foot behind the door and then the guys hit the door together and launched me backwards onto the four steps behind the small foyer. They both marched the length of my body. I laid there stunned for a few seconds. Wife calls down from upstairs, asking who is there. They bound up the stairs, I head for my pistol. Wife screams, they both come stomping down the stairs, I figured they were headed the right direction, away from my wife. I took cover in a doorway, only thing showing was half my head and the pistol. They stop at the bottom of the stairs, staring at my pistol. One guy says to the other, don't worry he won't shoot. I put one into the brick wall right between their heads from around six feet (probably powder tattooed them both). Told them to get the heck out and as far as I was concerned it was shoot on sight the next time I saw either of them. Figured out later they were a pair of leg breakers hired by some guy who the previous owner of the house owed money to.

Like mentioned, each situation is unique. I think of these encounters as most times being pretty darned bizarre to one degree or another.

No castle law here, if I would have shot them I'd be the one in jail.

My front door now has four hinges and nobody is going to kick it in. I never answer the door without looking out of a side window. For years I've had an outside dog that was pretty much a man eater and an inside dog that was pretty much the same. I call it defense in depth.

Twice now I've been trapped between parked cars, one guy in front and two behind. Both times it worked out OK. Like mentioned, situational awareness.
That must have taken quite a bit of self control. IL doesn't have a castle law either, but I still say they waive their right to leave without a bullet wound, as soon as they forced their way in. I don't think it would have been difficult to convince any reasonable person that you feared for your life, either. First of all, it was 2:1 in their favor, you don't know their intentions, and you don't know for sure if they're armed or not. Obviously, I wasn't there, and I cant say for sure how I would have reacted. That said, I'm pretty sure castle law probably would not have factored into my thinking in that situation.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Man do some people on here ramble and BS a lot or what?
As a person who does ramble, I tend to offer this in response to this type of criticism: It's an internet gun forum, what else would you expect? We're not discussing viable pathways to cure cancer in here - online forums are meant for little more than BS'ing, even at their best.

I'll admit, that played out line about semiautos causing shooters to spray and pray is one of my few hot-buttons, and I never have any intention of letting that kind of BS go unchecked in public forums, as I certainly don't let it happen in any of the handgunning classes I teach.

Guns make shooters "spray and pray" just about as much as guns kill people. It's not possible - BUT... that rumor just won't die, and even well respected and highly experienced folks like Flags (for whatever reason) feel the need to propagate such silliness. I've been wrong before, so one of these days I hope someone experienced like him might educate me into a new manner of thinking, but I've carried, competed with, and hunted with single shots, revolvers, and semi-autos long enough that if semi-autos caused shooters to suddenly forget about round management and shot placement, it would have happened to me... But it hasn't...

So take it as rambling, doesn't break my heart. Maybe I'm more sensitive to that particular brand of foolishness being spread than others might be, but I'm happy to pick my battles for myself - and squashing the whole BS mindset such "revolvers make shooters be more responsible with their rounds, and semiautos make shooters blast wildly," is ONE battle I will always pick...
Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Guns make shooters "spray and pray" just about as much as guns kill people. It's not possible - BUT... that rumor just won't die, and even well respected and highly experienced folks like Flags (for whatever reason) feel the need to propagate such silliness.
Bull. If you know you have a lot of rounds you don't take as much time with your sight picture, remember it is a general statement and won't apply to every shooter so don't take it as an absolute. Bottom line when you don't have many you tend to make them count. Kind of like the old saying: Beware the man that hunts with a single shot, he can hit what he aims at. Ever hunted with a muzzleloader? Didn't take any iffy shots that you would try with a repeating gun did you? It's the same concept. Rounds on target is the most important aspect of going home alive.

If you dump a full mag of 15 rounds in a 9mm but don't take the time to actually aim them then a guy like me, with a 6 shot revolver in any caliber you care to mention, will probably win the gunfight. Rounds that hit flesh count, rounds that hit sheetrock don't. This is why my unit had us load minimal rounds in our rigs and still require a successful engagement of multiple targets, you learn to make the shots count and that is what matters. Spray and pray leads to bleed and die.

But hey, what do I know? I only survived a couple of fire fights and you admit you've never been in one. You obviously know more about it than I do.

Last edited by flags; 05-02-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Bull. ...remember it is a general statement and won't apply to every shooter so don't take it as an absolute.
And there we have it: the key to understanding this debate.

The argument is not deterministic, either way. But even if Mercy is right that high-capacity weapons don't necessarily make shooters less efficient, what flags is saying is rooted in reality---pedagogically speaking, it may be better to start shooters out with lower capacity. There's more than one way to do this, though; flags has mentioned not loading a 9mm magazine all the way when shooting more than one target. One needn't have a revolver to force themselves to do more with less.
I've elsewhere said it probably makes more economic sense when buying a first rifle for a kid to get a bolt-action they can use for several years (if not their whole life) and only load a single cartridge, than to buy a single-shot rifle, only to replace it years later.

Of course, people have to hold themselves to this, or be held to it by someone else. But if they cannot resist the temptation to load the magazine all the way at the range, or load their magazine all the way in the woods, it's probably a poor bet that they'll overcome the temptation to buy anything other than a revolver or single-shot in the store.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.