Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
1-1/2 gauge shotgun from hell >

1-1/2 gauge shotgun from hell

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1-1/2 gauge shotgun from hell

Old 04-27-2017, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 1-1/2 gauge shotgun from hell

nuff said

Old 04-27-2017, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Illegal in every state in the union so far as I know so what is the point? I guess if you want to beat yourself up it would be fun for someone. I wouldn't really call that a punt gun because they were a lot larger than 1 1/2 ga. A one gauge is 1.660 inches diameter and a 2 gauge is 1.325 inches in diameter so a 2 1/2 gauge would be somewhere in between in diameter. That is much smaller than the real punt guns I have seen and seen fired, some of them fired a pound of shot and had to be tied down to the boat with the stock against grain bags and there were instances where they broke loose and injured people and knocked them out of the boat. They actually still use punt guns in Great Briton. They are limited to a barrel diameter of an inch and 3/4 and they are permitted by the Crown. They must row their boats and cannot use a motor. I have a CD of two guys in England sitting at a kitchen table making paper shotgun shells about 6 inches long by rolling the paper to fit the brass head of a huge shotgun shell. After they inserted the paper they put the power and shot in the shell using a funnel and a scoop and then crimped the end with their fingers by pressing it down in increments. There only a handfull of permits left and when the permittee quits, they do not reissue the permits, they will be done punt gunning pretty soon.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-27-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

My interest is in deer hinting with something similar. So I'm not looking for shot loads I'm looking for shotgun slugs.

Last edited by uncle matt; 04-29-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really doubt you would want to shoot a slug through that thing, unless it was ties to a tree.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

My old Mossberg 835 with 3" turkey loads was enough for me.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guy needs to come up with a bullpup stock design so the balance would become manageable to be fired without support. He said 46lbs, certainly nothing a person can hold so far forward as a standard stock design, but it COULD be managed as a bullpup.

If we're striving for absurd, then a guy might as well shoot for the stars.