Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
rifle for my 12 year old >

rifle for my 12 year old

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifle for my 12 year old

Old 03-04-2017, 08:30 AM
Spike

yes black bear. We live in Michigan although I have hunted all my bear in Minnesota. As far as Africa goes just plains animals and some baboons.

Originally Posted by CalHunter
When you say bear, you're referring to black bear, correct? Also, when you say trip to Africa, are you talking about just plains game or something bigger?
Old 03-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Spike

I have 2 .243 one is a savage youth left hand I got for him and the other is a ruger M77 compact that is right handed. Now I love the ruger but again it is right handed. and while they are excellent deer guns I wanted to get him something that 10-15 years for now would be more versatile. Where I live in Michigan it is shotgun only so I did get him a Mossberg super bantam in 20 gauge. We also hunted a youth hunt in Ohio so I mainly got it for him for these two areas.

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
When my son was 12 I let him shoot my 308 and it rocked his world pretty good and I hand load pretty mild rounds.

That almost made him not to have any thing to do with shooting a rifle.

Put him back with the 243 and he was fine again. I my self would not push some thing on him that will rock his boat at 12 years old.

Al

Last edited by jacads; 03-04-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

There's a good reason you have to look around for reduced loads, shortened stocks and what ever else to make an adult size center fire rifle "reasonable" for a 12 year old child. Think about it.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you haven't bought him anything yet, I have some suggestions. I've trained shooters for years, so when my daughter was ready for her 1st year of actually carrying the rifle, I let her use a pet 7mm08 I'd had for years. To make a long story short, she got 2 clean 1 shot kills her very 1st year with it! She's claimed that little 7mm08 ever since! By the way, she was the ripe old age of 11 at that time. I consider the 7mm08 to be arguably THE best all-round whitetail cartridge EVER designed of all time! Very mild recoil, extremely accurate, easy to reload for, not load picky at all in every rifle I've ever seen shot or shot personally, pretty flat trajectory, and it kills all out of proportion & well beyond what it's modest paper ballistics would suggest! It's THE perfect diameter bullet for deer hunting, being big enough to definitely do the job EVERY time, have enough weight to go as deep as needed or depending on bullet choice, but yet don't even have over 2/3 the felt recoil of the mild recoiling .308, and you can even choose elk loads as long as you stay within reasonable range, and for sure it'll do the job further out than a youth has any business shooting!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can afford it, and can find them, the Browning A-Bolt 2 was on sale for 503$ for Composite Stalkers at budsgunshop , and if you're on a strict budget, the Ruger American in 7mm08 will shoot VERY much better than you would expect for that price, and even keep up with rifles costing hundreds of dollars more! I'd put a Nikon Monarch 5 on it with 5x zoom power adjustment range 3x-15x-40mm will let him bust up deer still hunting with it turned down all the way on 3x(the way ALL MY scopes are when hunting), but yet will zoom all the way up to 15x for a shot at extended range, predators, varmints, load development, or zeroing. If the budget won't allow that, a Nikon Prostaff 3x-9x-40mm s less than 150$, and sometimes on sale as low as 100$.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Spike

I have a new right handed 7mm-08 savage camo with a stainless barrel I got on clearance at cabelas never have shot it but when I bought a box of shells a little sticker shock at how much those rounds are. I had another person tell me to get him a 7mm-08 honestly I never would have bought that caliber except $250 on clearance was a steal. As soon as the weather warms up I will take him out and let him shoot and see what he thinks. The only two calibers he has taken deer with are a .243 and .223. We never got a shot in Ohio.

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
If you haven't bought him anything yet, I have some suggestions. I've trained shooters for years, so when my daughter was ready for her 1st year of actually carrying the rifle, I let her use a pet 7mm08 I'd had for years. To make a long story short, she got 2 clean 1 shot kills her very 1st year with it! She's claimed that little 7mm08 ever since! By the way, she was the ripe old age of 11 at that time. I consider the 7mm08 to be arguably THE best all-round whitetail cartridge EVER designed of all time! Very mild recoil, extremely accurate, easy to reload for, not load picky at all in every rifle I've ever seen shot or shot personally, pretty flat trajectory, and it kills all out of proportion & well beyond what it's modest paper ballistics would suggest! It's THE perfect diameter bullet for deer hunting, being big enough to definitely do the job EVERY time, have enough weight to go as deep as needed or depending on bullet choice, but yet don't even have over 2/3 the felt recoil of the mild recoiling .308, and you can even choose elk loads as long as you stay within reasonable range, and for sure it'll do the job further out than a youth has any business shooting!
Old 03-05-2017, 06:59 AM
Spike

Do you think composite is better than wood?

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
If you can afford it, and can find them, the Browning A-Bolt 2 was on sale for 503$ for Composite Stalkers at budsgunshop , and if you're on a strict budget, the Ruger American in 7mm08 will shoot VERY much better than you would expect for that price, and even keep up with rifles costing hundreds of dollars more! I'd put a Nikon Monarch 5 on it with 5x zoom power adjustment range 3x-15x-40mm will let him bust up deer still hunting with it turned down all the way on 3x(the way ALL MY scopes are when hunting), but yet will zoom all the way up to 15x for a shot at extended range, predators, varmints, load development, or zeroing. If the budget won't allow that, a Nikon Prostaff 3x-9x-40mm s less than 150$, and sometimes on sale as low as 100$.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends. Which is more important to YOU? Composite stocks will never warp, don't have to worry about scratching them, won't split out or crack, and temp/humidity/elevation/weather will never make a composite warp. Now walnut stocks are SOOOOO much prettier than composite stocks, have a rich warm feel, and is generally preferable if you KNOW you're never going to hunt in seriously nasty weather. Having said that, at my age & disability, I figure i'm never going to be in bad weather to begin with, and I go plumb discombudglated over extremely fancy walnut, and I make SURE my wood stocks are sealed many times over what's needed on outside, inside (inletted area), I glass a aluminum block in when I glass bed them so thet cannot warp. Do YOU want something to just grab at any time, and stand up to extreme punishment, or do you want to have more pride in ownership with a stock with dazzling figure, but will scratch up during use
Old 03-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The main difference between the "budget" factory stocks, and more expensive stocks, is the el cheapo models are simply injection molded plastic, whereas the best and lightweight or precision versions are hand laid layers of fiberglass, carbon fiber, or other material, and the best 1s have full length aluminum bedding blocks glassed in. There's a HUGE difference between those "levels" or quality if you will!
Old 03-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jacads
I am looking to purchase a new rifle for my 12 year old son. He has shot a few dear in the past with a .243 and a .223 rifle. However my son is left handed and all of my rifles are right handed. So I am going to purchase him a left handed rifle from Tikka. I am going to choose on of 3 calibers either .260, .270, or 30-06. I own both a 30-06 and and a .270 rifle and I like both guns I have a 6.5mm creedmor that I have not been able to shoot yet which I believe is a .260 caliber? of the the three calibers, which do you think would be the best option for him? He will be hunting deer and bear and we are going to be taking a hunting trip to Africa in a few years as well. I am looking for something with good knock down power with less recoil.

Thanks,

Jacads

Without the least bit of doubt....30-06.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.