Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need a custom stock >

Need a custom stock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a custom stock

Old 02-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Spike

Default Need a custom stock

Hello, I recently purchased an over under collectable shotgun. The model is IJ-27 it is a USSR made shotgun but imported to the states by Baikal. Made in 1974 and the metal is in very good condition never shot. However the wood is in very bad condition. Does anyone know any custom shops that can make me a stock? Money is not an issue. Just want a good quality job. Thanks- Outdoorlivin.

P.S.- there are new models of this gun but the stocks are different thats why I need a custom made one.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check with Boyd's Gunstocks.

Last edited by JoeA; 02-10-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

anybody with a duplicater can make you a stock. try wenig, got a couple made by them, joel russo also comes to mind.
RR
Old 02-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

there is NO shortage of custom stock makers out there, do a web search and you will find all you want, be prepared to open your wallet if you want HIGH grade wood
basic stock sets will run about 800+ high end can run several thousands
having the original stock will sure help on time for a smith to make and fit

here is one I know does good work

http://www.jschaferstockmaker.com/index.php

I know of several others as well, most I know tend to be BUSY and booked up a yr or longer out,
so expect to NOT get it FAST< unless you want to PAY even more, or find a smaller shop looking for work

the TOP guys, don't need to LOOK for work, word of mouth keeps them as busy as they want to be most times

I have a local guy, does great work, but I know he is always at least a yr out, but he's very fair on prices and does super work IMO
does maybe 10 stocks a yr only, small and likes it that way!

here is a idea on what blacks run, to help you, and MOST all places like this can recommend you to a GOOD stock builder too, so you can try reaching out to them too, or like places, again, do a search for gun stock blanks and you will find a LOT out there

I doubt ANY mass produced stock maker will have a stock for this gun your looking for, will have to be a custom build deal!

http://www.oldtreegunblanks.com/customgunmakers.html
Old 03-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

By saying custom stock, you DO realize depending on the type/grade of wood selected, you're talking about anywhere from 350-500 for lower grade wood, up to the sky as limit if you REALLY want fancy! When I make stocks all by hand, I invest many hours inletting, shaping, final shaping, final sanding, checkering, and finishing. It's hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a (NO offense) lower grade inexpensive gun. I've been making stocks by hand from blanks for well over 30 years, but have yet to do 1 I'm 100% satisfied with!
Old 03-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm the same way Bear...I just ordered a Boyds the other day for this Smokeless ML I'm building because I am not really equipped to drill the rod hole. That's a pretty long hole and I'd hate for it to "creep" on a stock I'd just spent HOURS on shaping. Not to mention that stock is pretty nifty looking too

Isn't quite a match to what I really wanted but for $135 total not too much to cry about. I can always do a little work on it to match up with what I have in my head.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Outdoorlivin
Hello, I recently purchased an over under collectable shotgun. The model is IJ-27 it is a USSR made shotgun but imported to the states by Baikal. Made in 1974 and the metal is in very good condition never shot. However the wood is in very bad condition. Does anyone know any custom shops that can make me a stock? Money is not an issue. Just want a good quality job. Thanks- Outdoorlivin.

P.S.- there are new models of this gun but the stocks are different thats why I need a custom made one.
There are nice tactical stocks for Baikal from DLG Tactical but I think no any for IJ-27

Old 04-09-2020, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by punking
There are nice tactical stocks for Baikal from DLG Tactical but I think no any for IJ-27

The man wants to restock an over and under shotgun. Why would he be interested in a tactical stock?
Old 04-09-2020, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Outdoorlivin

I have never heard of Baikal shotguns being collectible, they are more of a utilitarian shotgun. I would not go overboard on the grade of wood that you buy to restock the gun. I am not knocking the gun, just don't want to see you spend more than necessary for a gun that most likely not going to return your expenditure. You would probably be better off by buying a semi inletted stock from a place like Boyd's and doing the job yourself if capable of paying a stocker to do it for you. Wood can get real expensive real fast depending on how it is figured.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-09-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since the op has not been back since he posted, I have to think perhaps his post was simply a prelude for the spammer's post above.