Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
221 Fireball - what twist rate? >

221 Fireball - what twist rate?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

221 Fireball - what twist rate?

Old 02-23-2020, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You do know the op was over 3 years ago, I doubt the op is checking the thread anymore.
He's still active- this is a valid question.

Why does it bother you so much?

-Jake
Old 02-24-2020, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

yeah I know the threads old, but for the newer guys,

maybe because Im an engineer
but have you ever considered using precision measuring tools on the bullets you want to use and available math?
links to calculators

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

https://thebarreloutlet.com/twist-calculator/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...el-twist-rate/
Old 02-24-2020, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
He's still active- this is a valid question.

Why does it bother you so much?

-Jake

Because it does!
Old 02-24-2020, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Here we see a post that is on topic, a good question, a follow up to the OP, asking for personal experience from somebody who has now owned a firearm for several years.

Exactly what forums like this were intended to do.

Originally Posted by steakman
How did that rate of 1:9 twist work out for you. I am thinking of a 221 fireball build in a Remington SPS and was looking into the 1:12 twist or maybe a 1:10 twist.

Here we see a post that's not on topic, not a good question or addition to the thread, not adding anything useful in the slightest.

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You do know the op was over 3 years ago, I doubt the op is checking the thread anymore.
I don't know how i can make it any more simpler for you (and others who do this)

Your posts don't disappear three days after posting them. They show up in google searches all the time. That's what brings allot of people to the site. They Google ".221 fireball twist rate" and they end up here.

The information that was useful and valid in 2017 is still valid and useful today.

Pick a new thing to be bothered by.

-Jake
Old 05-16-2020, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by steakman
How did that rate of 1:9 twist work out for you. I am thinking of a 221 fireball build in a Remington SPS and was looking into the 1:12 twist or maybe a 1:10 twist.
Sorry for the delay! Been off the site for a little while. I can't say for certain whether the 1:9 twist was the reason for it, but the build turned out very well. I developed an accurate load using what I consider "economy" components, which is to say, bulk Hornady 55 grain SP bullets and relatively easy-to-find IMR 4227. My best handgun group to date was this 0.589" 3-shot group at 100 yards. I know the 3-shot group isn't the best indicator of a gun's accuracy, but even with 5-shot groups, it'll shoot under 1 MOA.

Was the 1:9 twist strictly necessary? According to Berger's Twist Rate Stability Calculator, this load would be "marginally stable" with a 1:12 twist. However, with the higher velocities produced by a rifle length barrel, I don't think a 1:12 twist would be a handicap.

I honestly haven't tested many other loads since this one does exactly what I want it to do. That's going to change soon, though, as I've just taken possession of a 24" barrel, also with a 1:9 twist. While the standard 1:12 would likely shoot these same loads just fine, I wanted the option to try some 69 grain BTHP bullets with slower burning powders that will likely be more accurate than my "economy" loads. I'll make a thread once I get started testing it.