Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
CC / capacities? >

CC / capacities?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CC / capacities?

Old 12-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default CC / capacities?

Any pistol suggestions for a CC...?

I like the idea of those pocket pistols, 6 or 7 rounds in .380, just think it could leave a guy wanting more in some situations, especially if more than 1 bad guy.

But what are some higher capacity options yet still being very carry-able? probably in 9mm, maybe something like 12rounds vs 19 etc...

anyone carry a full size pistol? and how many rounds does it hold?

Thanks.

But then again why choose? get both! ha.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Off duty I regularly carry a Springfield XDS .45 with the extended mag(7+1).... After we get through the Christmas season I'll be buying a Glock 43 though... no complaints with the springfield, I'll just go to the glock as I've shot it and like it, and I can use the same ammo as my duty weapon which will keep things a little simpler.

I'll continue to carry the Springfield whenever I'm in the woods though because I like it, and it's already been through allot of abuse in the field so might as well keep carrying it there.

Now, to give you my spill on CC pistols.... #1 thing you need is a gun that you can shoot well and carry comfortably all the time. If you cannot shoot it well under stress then it's not worth having. If it's not comfortable for you, chances are you'll start to leave it at home, and it's not worth having. It does you no good if it's left at home or if you cannot hit with it in high stress environment. So evaluate what you typically wear and plan accordingly..... I can conceal a full sized all winter, but that doesn't help me in summer.

More rounds is better, yes. But again, back to the comfort issue.. if it's uncomfortable you'll leave it at home and that leaves you with no rounds. So get something you can carry everywhere.

#2 Decide what your purpose is.... ten years ago I would have told you to go with the pocket option. It was very unlikely for a civilian to end up in a gun fight where round count would be an issue. Most defense situations happened up close, and quickly. Meaning that 6 or 8 shots was probably enough, and you wouldn' be shooting far enough to be limited by the short barrel. BUT our environment has changed. Mass shootings have, in my opinion, changed the requirements of a CC firearm.

you're in the mall with your family when shots start going off. You could potentially be face to face, or 50' feet away from, someone carrying an AR and a couple hundred rounds on them. Suddenly that .380 pocket pistol isn't ideal.. If your purpose is general defense that pocket pistol is probably enough, but if you want to be truly prepared for the type of conflict that we see more and more often then you need something more.

For what you described (12+ rounds) I'd look at a glock 19... It's 15+1 gives you good capacity, but it's still small enough for most people to conceal relatively comfortably.

Just my opinion for whatever it's worth. I'd go to a big shop and ask to hold multiple different guns. Find something that feels good in your hands. Some ranges will even rent guns out for you to be able to shoot before you decide what to buy. Glock, S&W, Springfield, HK, SIG, and others make pistols that would fill your need, so find out what fits you best and then practice, practice, practice, and carry it everywhere you go.
-Jake
Old 12-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just opinion, but I train enough I rarely miss, if I do miss it is by inches and not feet.

Chances are if somebody is shooting at you, they are going to miss, unless it is at reach out and touch me distances. I'd guess 95% of the population is pistol incompetent, not for lack of trying, it isn't easy to master. Especially in high stress situations.

I've never had anybody shooting at me actually hit me. I've been shot twice, once was an accidental discharge and the other time I was sitting behind the guy some other guy was shooting at.

Like I said, just opinion, but the first guy not to miss usually wins.

I like my P-7, one of the safer pistols on the planet. Not much chance of an accidental or negligent discharge. I've worn mine all day chain sawing, splitting firewood and never gave it a second thought.

Kind of boils down to quality and quantity, if you get seven hits with seven shots you are likely all good. I never have been one for spray and pray.

Trigger safeties give me the willies. If I owned one I'd have to carry in condition 3.

I carried a High Power for years, before that a 1911. I finally down sized to a P-7/8 single stack, a wheel gun when out hunting. Reloads really don't take that long.

I've shot matches with a wheel gun, like anything else, practice.

IMO weight isn't really a factor, you get used to it. Having a good holster is the key to concealment in many cases. It has to do with your build what will work best for you.

I have a high armpit soft holster, works for me. I wear Levi shirts with snaps down the front. Or a vest with a built in holster.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 12-19-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

This is actually a very good question. For duty, I've always carried full size pistols in either 40 or 45. Many departments are starting to switch to 9mm pistols (primarily from 40's because the 9mm ballistics are now almost as good as a 40 and the pistol frames hold up better than the 40's.

For off-duty (CC), I've carried full size pistols (Sig & Glocks), compact Glocks and even a Walther PPK when I was trying to conceal it in my slacks front pocket (it can be done). For me, the most convenient method was a gun bag cause I could even use it while wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I've tried IWB holsters but they don't work as well when you're fatter. I really like paddle holsters but you need some kind of shirt or jacket to conceal it and then have to make sure it's not printing (generally in the shirts.

I've recently bought a Glock 42 (380) and 43 (9mm). The 42 will likely be used as a pocket pistol (pocket holster and maybe one of those pager type concealment holsters. The 43 might work as a pocket holster but will likely be in either a pager type holster or an IWB holster. I still carry a Glock 45 when I want the extra comfort but there are sometimes when that's not going to be practical. For me, any Glock pistol is very familiar after having carried larger Glocks as duty weapons for so long.

In a perfect world, having a high capacity full size pistol is the best weapon for a gunfight (especially if you're in the middle of some school shooting or other attempted massacre). But sometimes that simply isn't practical and then you have to make real life decisions about how deep you want to get involved in any shooting situation (mass or otherwise).

If you're worried about a smaller # of rounds for a more concealable pistol, carry a spare magazine or even 2. The idea behind CC is that other people don't know you're carrying and can't spot your pistol. Sometimes that means a smaller pistol or even a pistol in a smaller caliber. For those of you worried about terminal ballistics in smaller calibers, just remember that a pistol is inherently not as useful as a rifle or shotgun in killing a person or animal. That's why you train to recognize if your first shot isn't stopping the threat and you have/need to fire additional shots.

Each of us will have to decide each time we choose to carry CC or not and what options our CC pistol provides for us or not. If you decide on a particular holster and pistol, make sure you practice drawing and shooting that pistol from that holster so the process is smooth and comfortable. You're naturally going to be in an overload situation just trying to process all of the incident without having to split your concentration on trying to draw your pistol fast enough and shoot accurately enough. Hopefully this helps you consider some other things and make a better decision for you.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most ranges nowadays won't allow draw and shoot practice anymore. At least none around here do. Get yourself a couple of snap caps for whatever round you choose and practice draw and fire at home in the mirror. I'm not a fan of dry firing handguns as I have had to replace too many firing pins and hammers for people for that very reason. Some people can dry fire their handguns 1000 times and never have an issue. BUT it only takes that ONE time and you not know something has happened to your weapon and need it!!

As far as what handgun for you to carry goes, that is a VERY personal decision. Much like a compound bow. Your carry weapon must fit YOU and your shooting style and ability. I myself am a fairly large man in both height and width so I can get away with carrying much larger handguns than some. The little ones, like a little .380 actually get lost in my big ole mitts and I can't shoot them worth diddly. But my little bitty wife is SCARY accurate with them. I have a few full size 1911 Sig .45's and a couple of 1911 Sig Carry .45's that I usually carry. Also have an ancient Colt 1911 .45 that has been on my side for 40+ years on and off. I use shoulder rigs and IWB's according to the weather and clothing.

Like Cal said, rather than high capacity, I go for an extra mag or 2 if I feel I am going to be in a rough area. But above all else, proficiency is KEY with ANY weapon you decide on!!
Old 12-20-2016, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not usually CC but I usually have a firearm nearby. If I am in a vehicle I usually have a S&W 5906 in a case with three 17 round mags If I am walking the deer woods I have a 4 inch Security Six loaded with .357's on my belt. If I ever felt the need to CC, I have a P-64 that fits in a large glove, the glove goes into a coat pocket or in my hand. The P-64 is a Polish military surplus all steel handgun. It holds 6+1 9X18 Makarov ammo. The gun is accurate, reliable and inexpensive. It is about the size of and looks like a PPK.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Application drives necessity.

When I'm out on the ranch, I won't usually encounter people, and if I do, they are likely trespassing, so I don't need to conceal anything, so I wear a belt gun.

When I run to Walmart, jog down the country road, or otherwise go somewhere without many people, I carry an LCP or SP101, or LCR.

In large crowd situations, I take a Sig P224 or G19.

I'm as confident in my 380's as I am in my 40's for their suited application.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

over the years my carry has evolved to something easy to carry and comfortable....to that end i rotate depending on what im wearing either a sig 938, keltec pf9 or glock 27. I have shot and really liked the g42, think the the g43 would also be an excellent carry gun. When you look at statistics its rare if you will ever need a gun in a self defense situation.....many times if you do need it all you need to do is pull it and the situation resolves itself with ho shots fired....so to that end i dont sweat having an armory on me. The 8 rounds in my sig will be more than enough and if not i guess it was just my time. By having something smallish and comfortable i carry all the time which is the most important thing.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Comfort is key, for me. If it's easy to carry and comfortable, I have no excuse not to have it with me at all times. For me, that's either a Ruger LCP or a Glock 42.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Any pistol suggestions for a CC...?

I like the idea of those pocket pistols, 6 or 7 rounds in .380, just think it could leave a guy wanting more in some situations, especially if more than 1 bad guy.

But what are some higher capacity options yet still being very carry-able? probably in 9mm, maybe something like 12rounds vs 19 etc...

anyone carry a full size pistol? and how many rounds does it hold?

Thanks.

But then again why choose? get both! ha.
Kimber for me eclipse pro II 45 for winter and solo carry 9mm for summer with extended mag I also use dm bullard bodyguard holsters they really keep super tight to your side you don't want a gun that is flopping around when you walk or run !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.