Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Youth Nova 20ga, Slug barrel or slug choke? >

Youth Nova 20ga, Slug barrel or slug choke?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Youth Nova 20ga, Slug barrel or slug choke?

Old 12-01-2016, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Youth Nova 20ga, Slug barrel or slug choke?

Good morning,
I'm looking to see if anyone has or has used either of the following with a Benelli Nova youth 20ga: A slug barrel and/or a slug choke and their opinion or results.

My youngest is very leary about shooting a deer rifle, although he shoots turkey loads out of the nova without much issue. I've tried to explain that the rifle he would use (either 7mm.08 or .270 with reduced recoil loads) would probably kick the same or less than the 20ga with slugs, but at least for now, his mind is dead set against it, and I don't want to create a mountain out of a mole hill.

So I'm looking into the options above. Finding a slug barrel for the youth model seems to be an issue, but I can get a slug choke. For those who have used them (even if it's not in the Nova), what are your thoughts on performance?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Handles, My daughter has a Mossburg 20 with a slug barrel as well as a Rem slugger. I can tell you with no uncertainty that the 7mm-08 kicks about 3/4 to even as much as half less than those buggers. Unless you have the rifle in a super light configuration. Her .243 kicks a tick less than MOST of my 7mm-08's. The exception being my AR 10 in 7mm-08. If ya didn't hear that one go bang you wouldn't even know it shot! Now, I know you don't want to push him hard but SOMETIMES you kinda have to push a tad bit to get them over the "fear hump" so to speak. After rising 5 kids and every last one of them hunts and shoots, I have seen exactly what you are going through with 2 of them. My middle son and my youngest son. The 2 daughters and my oldest boy jumped at the chance to shoot anything I put in their hands. Including my nastiest recoiling rifle, a .500 Nitro Express that even I don't enjoy shooting all that much! He may balk a little but just let him know that if he can handle full boat turkey loads, with a turkey choke I assume, then a 7mm.08, especially with reduced loads, will be a breeze. Your job will be to get him over his fear and be convincing without seeming forceful. LOL use my youngest daughter as an example and say "if a 60 pound scrawny little GIRL can handle a 7mm-08 surely a big strong BOY can handle it!!" You would be amazed at how well that works Granted my kids are all grown up now but I used my oldest daughter, who has absolutely 0 fear of pretty much ANYTHING, as an example to the 2 younger boys and my youngest daughter. It's amazing how fast their little bird chests would puff up, jaws get set, hard and focused eyes get seen, and they say "gimmi that rifle pops! I'll show her who's better!" You will probably have to suppress a giggle or 2 but trust me buddy. It works. ESPECIALLY with boys!

Now, as far as your question about the chokes. Rifled chokes work a little bit but they aren't that great really. I tested quite a few out a good while back when I first moved here (slug only state) and I didn't particularly care for carrying around a slug barreled shotty being as heavy as they are. Those slug barrels add a good deal of weight. Ended up getting a slug barrel for my TC as well as for my Mossy 500. Those chokes pretty much tightened up a group at 50 yards about an inch tighter than smooth bore firing Brenkee's. I wasn't impressed to say the least.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply on both the kick and function of the choke tubes. I know what you are saying, I push pretty hard in some areas, but he likes to hunt and shoot, so I'd rather give him a little leway to figure it out himself. He's only 11 and 75 lbs, I figure by summer he should be 8-10lbs heavier and perhaps have more self confidence.
But your advice about the 20 and slugs pretty much solved that issue, I won't be attempting to go that route and spending money that really won't be worth it. If he wants to hunt deer, he's just going to have to come around on the 7mm.08. If not, heck he can still be a happy small game hunter for a few more years. Deer hunting isn't everyone's goal in life.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

That'll work. I know all mine were chomping at the bit to deer hunt with pappy. If yours is anything like mine, that will put a mindset in him to "get over it" pretty quick too. I got a pair of twin grandsons I'm working with now (I pity their mom and DAMN I'm glad we never had twins) that have zero fear but they aint retarded either. They always want to see papaw shoot it first to make sure it wont knock them on their butts I guess their daddy warned them Just work him into shooting that 7mm-08. Show him it doesn't kick as bad as that 20 gauge. Good luck to ya. Kids can be one of the most stubborn beings on this planet! Even after they are all grown up!