Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need input on big magnum please. >

Need input on big magnum please.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need input on big magnum please.

Old 10-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need input on big magnum please.

I am looking at buying a BIG magnum 416-Remington, 416-Rigby or 416-Weatherby? I am looking for some input from people who own one of these big calibers. I want to know if you ever regret making the purchase? If you had to do it all over again would you buy the same rifle or the same cartridge?
Give me some feedback guys.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:24 AM

Default RE: Need input on big magnum please.

Get a 460 Wby, 416' s are for wimps!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

From an economy standpoint the Remington would be the easiest on the wallet...the Weatherby has tremendous killing power on both ends and the 416Rigby is probably the best of the three...
Old 10-24-2003, 12:25 PM
bigcountry

I got a good freind with that 460Wthby, and its hard on scopes. He went thru 2 leupolds, one that was sent back once, and finally found a Enertl that can handle the recoil. I usually don' t complain much about recoil, but that Wthby really whollops you. And I shoot the RUM' s alot. But it is no comparison. I would probably go with the Remington due to expense.

Old 10-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .416 Rem Mag is equivalent to the .416 Rigby in power. The .416 Wby is a bit more.....quite a bit!!

Truly big bore guns is one of my favorite topics and I' m learning as I go. However, it' s a dangerous game cartridge (all of them) and most folks want a controlled round feed gun to shoot them.....or a double rifle.

I personally own a couple .375 H&H and it' s about as much as I can shoot.

In advice from others on the .375 the constant advice is to load them down somewhat to achieve the best penetration. Higher velocity don' t always achieve the best results.

If you are set on a .416, I' d recommend you build one on a Dakota action in which case you can pick the .416 Rigby or the remington.

Look at C-Z safari rifles. They enjoy a fine reputation as a DG gun.

If you can afford a double rifle, get the .416 Rigby for certain.

However the best way to go for folks on a budget (like me) is to spend the $1,100 for a M-70 CRF in .416 Remington.....NIB from Winchester. When you get it, install a McMillan stock and bed the barreled action to that stock.

Ruger has a bolt action chambered to .416 Rigby as well.....if you like Rugers.....I don' t!!

African hunters are a bunch of traditionalists.....I guess they can afford to be....but you won' t find many Weatherby Magnums there.

There are some fine push feed bolt guns chambered for the .416 Rem Mag...... if you buy one make sure the feeding and extraction is flawless while at the shooting range. I personally thing the CRF feature is exaggerated but there' s a whole lot of folks that disagree with me.

Good luck with your .416, it' s a hell-of-a-lotta-gun.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:44 PM

Wolf Killer,

Give a good look at the CZ chambered for .416 Rigby. (If you are considering using the 416 in tropical climates the Rigby case allows for velocities similar to the .416 Remington.....but at lower operating pressures. An important consideration in hot climates!)

Also prior to deciding on a rifle or caliber to be used for hunting dangerous game....here is some information worth reading:

http://www.african-hunter.com/lessons_learned.htm

I would give this information some attention prior to making a decision!

P.S. As the article mentions....even the Ruger # 1 might be an acceptable alternative!

Good luck with your decision...let us know what you decide!
Old 10-27-2003, 12:01 PM

Avoid all them thar small bores and get a rifle in .50BMG.