HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   308? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/409730-308.html)

indiana deer hunter 11-01-2016 06:50 PM

308?

I went to the range today my question is with this group at 100 yds where does this put me at 25 50 200 and 300 ? I shot this gun 1 other time and my group was right around bullseye but today was super windy and i wasnt really holding the gun down to stop muzzle rise this was off a bipod i was shooting 150 gr american whitetail 308

super_hunt54 11-01-2016 08:05 PM

uhhh what? A group isn't the position on the target, it is the average distance from each other in a multiple shoot. Like 5 rounds, how close are they to each other. Now as to your question, I think you are looking for POI (point of impact) answers. I think those American Whitetail from Hornady are loaded with the 150gr Interlocks. I know the .243 is.

If you have your rifle zeroed at 100 (that means dead on bullseye) then you will be approximately 2 inches low at 200 and around 10.5-11 inches low at 300. That's based on if you have a 24 inch barrel. It could be a bit different than the book speeds. But I'll be honest with you on something, if you have no clue where your rifle will hit at a certain range, then you have absolutely NO business shooting at live game at that range. A rifle isn't some magical tool that will automatically make the kill shot for you. There are a lot of variables to shooting live game in the field. If you have only shot that rifle once before, then you really need to be hitting the range and practice shooting under field conditions at ranges that you think you may encounter game. Our whitetail deserve nothing short of our best effort to harvest them cleanly and as quickly as possible. I'm not trying to be a A Hole here, just an advocate for ethical hunting practices by everyone out there.

uncle matt 11-01-2016 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4279246)
uhhh what? A group isn't the position on the target, it is the average distance from each other in a multiple shoot. Like 5 rounds, how close are they to each other. Now as to your question, I think you are looking for POI (point of impact) answers. I think those American Whitetail from Hornady are loaded with the 150gr Interlocks. I know the .243 is.

If you have your rifle zeroed at 100 (that means dead on bullseye) then you will be approximately 2 inches low at 200 and around 10.5-11 inches low at 300. That's based on if you have a 24 inch barrel. It could be a bit different than the book speeds. But I'll be honest with you on something, if you have no clue where your rifle will hit at a certain range, then you have absolutely NO business shooting at live game at that range. A rifle isn't some magical tool that will automatically make the kill shot for you. There are a lot of variables to shooting live game in the field. If you have only shot that rifle once before, then you really need to be hitting the range and practice shooting under field conditions at ranges that you think you may encounter game. Our whitetail deserve nothing short of our best effort to harvest them cleanly and as quickly as possible. I'm not trying to be a A Hole here, just an advocate for ethical hunting practices by everyone out there.

I wholeheartedly agree.

MudderChuck 11-01-2016 09:23 PM

You don't want to try and hold the muzzle down. What you want is consistency, use proper form and try to do it exactly the same every time.

The rifle is most always more accurate than the shooter is. When things go wrong or your point of impact shifts, most times it is because the shooter has introduced a variable, bad form or made some other mistake.

Theoretically, you could hold your rifle upside down, dial in your scope and shoot good groups, if you did it the same every shot.

Ammo type, bullet weight, outside temperature and other factors also play a role. Either singly or a combination of factors.

You also have to make sure your equipment is OK, scope tight, bore clean or dirty (one or the other). Again consistency is the key.

Tensing up is one of the major mistakes of a beginning shooter. Relax be consistent and let the rifle do most of the work.

A lot of people talk now on days about five shoot groups. IMO three shot groups are the way to shoot, after three rounds barrel temps play a larger roll in point of impact.

Sheridan 11-01-2016 09:54 PM

Wind drift is real, even at 100 yards.

Practicing with "good form" is the key to consistency; with consistency come accuracy !

ButchA 11-02-2016 01:37 AM

This may help...

I have a Savage .308 with a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 scope. I have it dialed in for a 150yd zero and am fine with that. It's roughly about an inch high at 100 and an inch low at 200 with that setup.

alleyyooper 11-02-2016 01:59 AM

Use the chart.

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-re...ics-calculator

:D Al

Champlain Islander 11-02-2016 07:33 AM

I don't believe he was asking his question about hunting. He only was looking for info such as would come from a ballistic chart.

MudderChuck 11-02-2016 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4279281)
I don't believe he was asking his question about hunting. He only was looking for info such as would come from a ballistic chart.

Ballistic charts are an indicator of what is likely to happen, not definitive.

The only real way to know, is to get good enough to shoot some decent groups and try your specific rifle at various ranges.

The scope (line of sight) is normally above the barrel (line of flight). Depending on the rifle, mount and scope diameter, the geometry can change some. Different ammo brands, barrel length, different bullet weights and even outside ambient temperature is going to cause some deviation from the ballistic charts.

Like I said, the only way to know for sure is to keep a shooting book, put in the range time and figure out what your rifle does at different ranges.

I eventually figured out when it gets seriously cold out, my point of impact at moderate ranges actually went up and not down like I assumed. One rifle I have, the point of impact, at moderate ranges, would rise as the barrel heated.

First step is to get enough consistency in your shooting, to shoot some decent groups (MOA or less). Keep a shooting book so you can get an idea of what to expect the next time out.

mrbb 11-02-2016 05:50 PM

a chart will like said above ONLY give you a ballpark idea
If you honestly want to know what YOUR gun and YOUR ammo will do, the time to KNOW and find out is NOW< before hunting with it
its NOT right to be finding out WHAT YOUR AMMO/GUN does by shooting at game
thats why they have targets to practice with
just taking a chart and calling it GOOD< can lead to lost game or wounded animals and disappointment!
spend the time and SHOOT at ranges your willing to shoot at game at!
its the right thing to do and will ONLY help you gain skills, all worth while to do!