Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
243 bullet choice >

243 bullet choice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

243 bullet choice

Old 10-31-2016, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I use Serria 85gr HPBT game kings.

.243 dia. (6mm) 85 gr. HPBTGameKing1530

Al
Excellent choice,killed a lot of deer over the years...
Old 10-31-2016, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by duckslayer82
Thanks guys for all the great info. I will definitely give them a try. I had a bad experience with hornady a few years back with the sst so have honestly been scared to try hornady again. But it's worth a shot
I had a couple bad blow up's with the SST's myself in both the 250gr muzzleloading SST's and out of my 7mm-08. Both close range blow up problems. Still got both deer and both hogs but lets just say I had a good deal less boning out to do That's why I switched the the Interlocks and Interbonds. The Interbonds are suspended presently but the Interlocks are plentiful.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'll tell you a little story about the 100 gr Hornady Interlocks. As I stated I killed a lot of whitetails and all but one were one shot and DRT. The only single deer, a 154 lb. field dressed buck, was hit behind the shoulder and for whatever reason I found later the bullet exploded on impact and never even entered the chest cavity but fragmented under the skin and pieces traveled left and right between the hide and rib cage. Why this happened was a very rare instance with these bullets. This first shot put the buck into high gear. I cycled the bolt and sent the second bullet on its way. That 100 gr Interlock hit the buck squarely in the right shoulder breaking it, went through the body and broke the left shoulder. Being at a full sprint and losing his front "axle" his nose hit the ground, then his rack and he flipped with his butt coming over his head and laid there stone dead. This happened about 30 years ago and has been etched in my brain. It was really awesome.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Spike

My wife and I had great results w/ Horndady Interlocked 100grn this year. I shot a whitetail doe and a big mulie doe with them; my wife shot a forkhorn mulie. These were all w/ .243's. Great ammo. I'm not inclined to look further at this point.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second the 100gr. Hornady Interlocks!
Yup.....someone here knows his stuff.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Spike

I load 100 grain Sierra Game Kings, soft point boattail, or the Speer version. Both are nearly identical and group the same. I saw the GK take a whitetail last fall, it blew the top of the heart out and blew up both lungs.