Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Thompson Encore Barrel question >

Thompson Encore Barrel question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thompson Encore Barrel question

Old 10-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thompson Encore Barrel question

I recently purchased a .243 barrel from E A Brown for my Encore.
I noticed the two black pieces (not sure what they are called) that are screwed to the bottom of the barrel that the for end screws onto did not come with the new barrel. Figured no problem I'll just take the ones of the factory ML barrel and put them on. One of them came right off the other I could not get the set screw to budge. The tip of my craftsman screw driver broke before it came loose, it started to strip the head so I left it alone.
I went ahead and tried to put the one I got off onto the new barrel and the screws are different sizes. The factory screws from my Encore drop right into the screw holes in the bottom of the new barrel.

These are what I am needing.

I am searching on line trying to find a place that sells them new so I can have a set on each barrel and not have to mess with changing them each season when I switch barrels. I was hoping to order some today but so I could get them as quickly as possible. I was originally planning to have a scope installed today and get to the range, that plan is out for now.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Finally figured out they are called pillars I guess (I'm sure most of you already knew that). Just not able to find anyone selling them. I might have to call TC on Monday. I might go ahead and take the gun in without the for end on it and have the scope mounted without the forend.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The muzzleloader forend, unless I'm mistaken, is different than the standard forend. Your new .243 barrel doesn't need those "pillars," as they are specific to allowing the ram rod to pass through. These should not be removed from the ML barrel. Brown will likely sell you a set, but personally, I'd just grab another forend and use the CF barrel as it was designed, rather than trying to refit it for the ML stock.

Pillar blocking the standard barrels is backwards of those pillars on the ML barrels. Like any bolt rifle, the pillars for standard rifles are embedded into the stock, permanently affixed. For the ML's, since they act as rod guides, they're affixed to the barrel (also permanently, as you've found out).

The ML "pillars" are adapted as part of the barrel, effectively, to allow the use of short screws for forend mounting, letting the ramrod pass through the area of the stock usually occupied by forend mounting screws in standard models. The forends aren't really interchangeable for this reason - the ML has pillars with rod holes and short screws, plus mortises in the stock for the pillars, the standard forends don't have those mortises and use long screws.

So these barrels use two different mounting systems - I personally wouldn't convert a CF to a ML mount - I'd just get another forend.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 10-15-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Partly my bad there fly. I just assumed for some retarded reason that you had the CF forearm with your stock since you said you had 2 frames. The ML and rifled SG barrels are larger diameter and the forearms for them are channeled to fit them as well as mortised for the pillars. If you don't have the CF forearm you can order one from the same place you got your barrel from.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the info, being new to this gun set up I assumed that the forend etc would be interchangeable. That is kind of frustrating to know I am going to have to purchase something else. I am finding a few places selling forends. Do they come with the pillars in them or do I need to buy forend and pillars?

Last edited by flyinlowe; 10-16-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

All you need are longer screws.

The centerfire barrels don't use pillars. You CAN install custom pillars to free float (kinda) the barrel, but by design, they do not use pillars.

Two centerfire forends at left and center, a muzzleloader forend at right. You can see the groove routed down the length for the ram rod, and the two mortises for the rod-keeping pillars.

Here you can see the screw bores for the forearm screws and the slick belly barrel. No pillars, just 2 screws running through the wood.

Here's a comprehensive set of forend screws - you can see 3 different lengths - the 2 shorts are front screws for ML forends, the longer screws are for the CF forends.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not worried about making Hoosiers look good, and who cares if you think I am making us look bad. I sought the advice of many people, on here and else ware. Almost everyone I spoke with said the Encore is a great platform, which I think it is. I was never looking at the different forends out there because I never knew it needed a new one. The barrel description from EAB says to use a Pro Hunter rifle forend or a 26" barrel contour forend. My ML is 26 inches so I figured the forends were the same. I got the barrel for $269.00 from EAB, even with the cost of the forend I don't think I could have got much of a rifle in that price range. As I mentioned in anther thread I have two children (11 and 7) who will be using the .243 soon. That is one of the reasons I didn't go with a 308 or something else. There is more to it then me just wanting to add 50 yards range to my hunting.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Hookeye, I appreciate the responses, you've lost me on some of it. Anyway back on topic I contacted EAB today and have a new forend on the way. They worked with me on the price so it worked out fine.
Thanks for everyone else for putting up with the stupid questions. Never owned or hunted with a rifle being from Indiana. If the .243 barrel preforms as good as the ML I should have no issues. A couple years ago I started loosing my groupings with the ML but some new glass took care of that, the gun was not at fault.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fly, good to hear your getting all set up. Again my apologies for not thinking about the forearm being different. Us old farts are bad about assuming someone knows some things just because we have been around it for 10000 years. I personally think you are going to enjoy that .243 barrel for years to come. Just remember to get ammo loaded specifically for deer. Heavy for caliber and not less than 85 grains! Again, if those American Whitetail Hornady rounds are accurate out of your rig, those would be the ones I would take out for bambi!
Old 10-17-2016, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Curious for those of you who hunt with .243, what is the max range you would shoot a deer with that round? I plan on keeping it close this year until I can get more practice, but I have heard people say 200 yards is the max range and others have said 400 yards plus, as long as you can make a good shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.