Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Encore barrel or new rifle? >

Encore barrel or new rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Encore barrel or new rifle?

Old 10-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a box of Hornady American Whitetail Interlock 100 grains today. Dicks had them on sale for $19.00. Once I get my barrel I will try those to start and see how they work out.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
I bought a box of Hornady American Whitetail Interlock 100 grains today. Dicks had them on sale for $19.00. Once I get my barrel I will try those to start and see how they work out.
If they are accurate out of your rifle, you can bet you will be happy with their terminal performance on game. One thing I would recommend though, a lot of factory produced barrels nowadays aren't as polished as I would like as well as most other shooters. Get you a jar of JB Bore Paste and run about 30-50 strokes down the barrel to shine it up really well. I do this with every barrel I get. Even my Shilen customs.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

I was at a buddies house today shooting my ML and my shotgun. He only has a 100 yard range so I shot two rounds with my Encore .243 at 100 after having the scope mounted and bore sighted. I know it is early but I was impressed with my first two shots ever with this rifle (or an rifle really other then a .22). I have a range nearby that I can go back over 200 yards. So I am going out there this week to start getting some range time in before season starts in 2 weeks.

These are with the Hornady American White tail 100 grain rounds.

I ended up putting a Nikon Pro Staff 4-12 x 40 on it.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would dial it down just an inch or so. Hitting pretty high. You should be approaching 3000fps with that ammunition from that barrel. You don't need to sight it in 3 inches high at 100 to have a zero of 200 yards. At 200, where you have your scope dialed in presently, will still be around an inch high with that particular load. Glad you got your rig all set up and ready to go like you like it. May you have a successful hunt this year and in the years after.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Sight it in about 1.5 inches high at 100 yards and you'll be on at 200.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

I plan on bringing it down some. According to their web site there is a 1.6 inch difference between 100 and 200 yards.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
I was at a buddies house today shooting my ML and my shotgun. He only has a 100 yard range so I shot two rounds with my Encore .243 at 100 after having the scope mounted and bore sighted. I know it is early but I was impressed with my first two shots ever with this rifle (or an rifle really other then a .22). I have a range nearby that I can go back over 200 yards. So I am going out there this week to start getting some range time in before season starts in 2 weeks.

These are with the Hornady American White tail 100 grain rounds.

I ended up putting a Nikon Pro Staff 4-12 x 40 on it.

IMHO, I would just leave it as it is and not move it one click. If anything, 2 clicks left for a more centered group, but it could have been many things for that slight deviation to the right. I would rather have that little extra distance without having to hold over than not. Good shooting all the same especially with a new barrel!!!
I played with my ballistic chart and with what you have at basically 2-3/4" high already, I would bump it up 1 inch and have it 3.250" high at 100yds with I said a 100grn bullet, ballistic coefficient of .405 and 3000fps. It will give you a point of impact of 300yds. I am a firm believer of leave well enuf alone.