Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
copper vs lead >

copper vs lead

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

copper vs lead

Old 08-31-2016, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I don't think a thin skinned animal should need a "solid" to put them down, but not my field of expertise ??
There's a difference in a "copper solid" bullet and a "solid copper" bullet.

Side by side, the CEB MTAC and the Nosler E-tip might both look like low drag BTSP's - with one being tipped, but when you cut them open, or slam them into the side of a game animal, the difference becomes clear. One is a Copper Solid, the other is just solid copper. I try to remember to use the vernacular "mono-metal" or "all copper" instead of saying solid copper, solid, or copper solid to avoid that confusion.

The downside for expanding mono-metal bullets: even though they have hollow cavities, the copper around the cavity gets really thick really quick as you move down the tip of the bullet, so they take a TON of force to expand clear to the shank. The good news, from there, is they will stop expanding, worst case, they shed their petals and punch on like a 1/2 weight FMJ. So the upside is they penetrate like crazy, no matter what speed. But if you're wanting a big wound cavity, they do take a lot of velocity to open up - and past 400-500yrds, the mono-metal bullets I have used don't open as much as I would like. Up close, weight retention is great though, remarkably so.

Nosler Accubond is what I've loaded when I've gone after elk (except in 44mag and 45-70). Looking at the 1800fps expansion comparison between the E-tip above and the Accu-Bond below, I'm hard pressed to let the E-tip on my list. I'd rather have the E-tip at short range, since it's obvious the weight retention at high speed is better, but the difference in downrange performance if 500yrd, out of state Elk hunting is involved.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

For what it is worth, my opinion is that the mono-metal bullets are lacking on game if the impact velocity is not high. I have found this to be the case most notably in smaller than 308 caliber bullets. The newer mono bullets that are tipped with plastic seem to open better due to a larger hollow point. They are great on paper, great for penetration, but not always reliable for expansion.

I spent most of July of this year in a couple of different countries in Africa and shot elk sized game with both 180 grain Nosler AccuBond and 168 grain Barnes TTSX in my light rifle (.30-06). Both loads started out at approximately 2,700 fps. One oryx required a fairly long-range finishing shot of about 400 yards with a TTSX. The finishing bullet was recovered. It had expanded - but not very much. It looked just like the picture of the mono that impacted at 1,800 fps in one of the posts above. Not very impressive.

I do like the mono metal bullets in larger calibers (.375 etc.) when the impact velocity is 2,400 fps and above. They are great penetrators and open well at reasonable velocity.

I have used the 210 grain and 225 grain mono bullets in my .338 rifles, but never at ranges exceeding 300 yards. The have worked well but I see no advantage in using them when compared to bullets like the AccuBond.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

^ And THAT - ladies and gentlemen - is why I asked Uncle to weigh in. Thanks!!!

Interesting to hear the performance I've seen with little pills on whitetails and coyotes replicated in the big bullets on big stuff. I love the idea of high BC mono-metal bullets for weight retention, just wish they poked a bigger hole down range.

Anyone ever looked at annealing the bullet ogive? I read about that many years ago - not sure how you'd do it without melting the polymer tips, but maybe that would give a little more expansion down range? Or maybe somebody will come out with a mono-metal designed for longer range hunting... Someday...
Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
^ And THAT - ladies and gentlemen - is why I asked Uncle to weigh in. Thanks!!!

Interesting to hear the performance I've seen with little pills on whitetails and coyotes replicated in the big bullets on big stuff. I love the idea of high BC mono-metal bullets for weight retention, just wish they poked a bigger hole down range.

Anyone ever looked at annealing the bullet ogive? I read about that many years ago - not sure how you'd do it without melting the polymer tips, but maybe that would give a little more expansion down range? Or maybe somebody will come out with a mono-metal designed for longer range hunting... Someday...
Limitations to everything. All these years and still no better mousetrap....