Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain >

New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to high powered rifles - shoulder pain

Old 08-14-2016, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOLOLOLOLOL, I'm thinking RR was bored and wanted to rile you 2 up a bit.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I agree. And I made my suggestion because I've seen way too many shooters hunched over on the bench and complaining recoil. And being that it was his 4th shot and not the other 3 the solution was clearly not the rifle but his shooting form.
I read the initial thread and respond the the originator.
I don't claim to be an expert but I've been in this game a long long time to help a new shooter out.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I agree. And I made my suggestion because I've seen way too many shooters hunched over on the bench and complaining recoil. And being that it was his 4th shot and not the other 3 the solution was clearly not the rifle but his shooting form.
I read the initial thread and respond the the originator.
I don't claim to be an expert but I've been in this game a long long time to help a new shooter out.
The problem with not reading what is going on in a thread is that you can offer things that will not only not help, but can exacerbate a problem. The OP already had a pad on his stock and both of you telling him to put one on after that had already been discussed and cleared up would only confuse the OP and could cause more problems. Nobody said you don't know what you're doing, but that one tip you offered just like RR did was not beneficial to the OP and if you had read the thread posts you would have known not to offer that suggestion.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Didn't rile me up at all, but his wiseacre post was certainly not made to help out on the thread like we had already done and taken care of the problem the OP presented to us!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Spike

I've been shooting my rifle with no problem since I got feedback on form on this forum. The problem was, I was placing the butt on the WRONG part of the shoulder when sitting on the bench. All I did was to bring the rifle up while standing, then sit at the bench. I did this a few times, and now my muscles "remember" exactly where to place the rifle when sitting on the bench without having to stand first.

Eye relief is good, the rifle has a recoil pad on the butt, and there is no pain from recoil. Thanks all for the helpful tips!. I am 100% in a 4 inch radius accurate on 60 yards off hand with my rifle. I always look at the target, then bring the rifle up. So I am sure that if I stay in this short range when I see my first deer, I will get it (unless the nerves get me first). I wouldn't try to shoot a deer farther than 50 yards for now, and that is a rare occasion in VT anyway...
Old 08-15-2016, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck this season.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, glad we were able to help and quickly solve your problem. Now go out and get a big one this Fall with that new rifle!
Old 08-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

TG the pad would have just been for shooting OFF THE BENCH. I guess I should have been more clear. But the slip on pad was only to be used if he WAS NOT shooting off the bench as upright as possible.
I use a slip on Limb Saver pad when shooting my big boys to verify zero and then send a few more down range without it. It saves the shoulder and IMO better than using a lead sled.
Nothing I said would degrade his shooting. Heck for that matter he could slip a cushion under his shirt when shooting off the bench. What is all boiled down to was his form
Old 08-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually anticipate the shot. I squint my eyes, grit my teeth, clench my butt cheeks and jerk the trigger really hard while flinching like one of Michael Vick's pit bulls. I never notice the recoil this way.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I usually anticipate the shot. I squint my eyes, grit my teeth, clench my butt cheeks and jerk the trigger really hard while flinching like one of Michael Vick's pit bulls. I never notice the recoil this way.
They may sound funny but that is the way my idiot cousin shoots. But he is a total A-hole anyway so I don't even try to tell him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.