Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What is better for stoping a charging bear? >

What is better for stoping a charging bear?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is better for stoping a charging bear?

Old 07-15-2016, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt Wyoming every year and I doubt that a Game Warden will want to see you carrying any type of a rifle during an archery only season and your attempt to claim that it's for self defense purposes. I'm assuming the OP is talking the grizzly laden units over on the west side of the state around Yellowstone/Cody on down a little south and well southeast of Jackson. I would have bear spray on my hip as a first defense because it covers a bigger area to stop one than a bullet that needs to be placed perfectly and that's hard to do in a full charge situation. If you want a weapon, IMHO it should be a revolver and at least a 44 magnum in potency.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-15-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-15-2016, 05:48 PM
Spike

Default Unit 53

It's unit 53. So close enough to the park,to make a guy think about it a bit more. I don't expect to have any issues. Figure the campsite would be more likely to see a visitor. If they can get into my boxes or food store. Then he can have it.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wycowboy288
It's unit 53. So close enough to the park,to make a guy think about it a bit more. I don't expect to have any issues. Figure the campsite would be more likely to see a visitor. If they can get into my boxes or food store. Then he can have it.
Yep; be bear aware, especially around the campsite keeping food and anything else with scent that would bring them in at least 100 yards away and up in the air as much as possible. Also, any animal you kill needs to be taken care of quickly and all the meat removed from around the gut pile/carcass ASAP and out of the area. Good luck and be safe!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
I have been around maybe a thousand or more bears over the yrs
from up close to handling them, having personal eye sight on them,
they can be very curious creatures at times, but never to date felt I was in any danger near one!
I used to tighten up the ole sphincter all the time when fishing for salmon and trout in Alaska. Sometimes I'd have as many as 10 or 12 Brownies around me at one time. Nowadays I just nod to them just like any other fisherman and even sometimes say howdy! Only had one make a move at me over the years. Guess I had his honey hole. It was being pretty productive Every time my boy and I had a problem we had to shoot was when we sneaked up on a sow and cubs or a fairly hungry and aggressive male. We both hated having to pull triggers and especially hated all the damn paperwork! If the bear don't get ya, writers cramp will!
Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

imo bear spray 1st and get you a freedom arms .454 or 475 revolver from freedom that would be my 2nd choice if the spray don't do the trick! that would be my recommendation !!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a tip, if you have to get a long gun into action quickly and don't want to carry it in your hands, slinging it muzzle up with the long gun to the front works well.

A little practice and you can get it into action almost as quickly as a pistol. A whole lot quicker than slinging it to the rear and causes much less annoyance if you have a pack on.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

A short barrel shotgun with a "line-up" of slugs and buckshot would always be my first choice.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mika7421
Hi all

I writing in this forum to tell a very short story about my encounter in the woods.

I live in a rural area B.C Canada. A few days ago I was practicing some bushcraft skills a few hundred meters from my back yard (very thick forest).
I encountered a cougar but was able to scare if off.

Usually I don't carry any self defence items into the forest (except knife and axe of course). I do not carry a gun.

Last year a friend of mine gave me an item for christmas. This item is supposed to be designed for urban use and for some reason I decided to bring this item with me on this day....lucky I did. what I brought is a Ultra Urban by a company called Salus. It's basically a rape preventor type device but I can tell you....it also works really well in the woods.

It helped me big time so i though I'd post it here for other people to think about and maybe use instead of a lethal weapon.

Here's a link to this thing.
Salus Ultra URBAN | Salus Defense
The problem with sonic defense devises is that you not only disorient your attacker, but yourself as well! Your attacker, being the 2 legged or 4 legged either one could recover quicker than you and then you are 100% screwed. So I personally wouldn't recommend anything like that for wilderness defense purposes.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is the 3rd post this Mika person has posted in a few minutes in various threads and I haven't gotten half way through yet. I suspect strongly it is a crock of steaming male bovine excrement and spam and I am reporting it as such..
Old 11-30-2016, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best way to stop a charging bear is to take away his credit card.......other than that a shotgun is far far far better than a handgun as extremely few folks can actually handle a powerful handgun.....even those that claim they can. There's a lot of "bull" in this bear issue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.