Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What would you say ? >

What would you say ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What would you say ?

Old 07-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default What would you say ?

I went out today and shot my nephews mossberg mvp 308 needless to say I am now leaning towards getting a 308 what is the best affordable rifle that has a good mix of everything?
Old 07-04-2016, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same as in the deer hunting section.

Al
Old 07-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't really follow the Whitetail Deer Hunting section any more, so I'll answer here.

Almost everything on the market these days is going to have 1) Die Hard fans, 2) Die Hard critics/opponents, and 3) a happy population falling in the middle.

For my money, if I'm buying a new deer rifle, my first preference would be a Remington 700, followed by a distant second place of a Savage 10/12/16 or Ruger M77 Hawkeye.

Budget friendly models like the Savage Axis, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot/MVP/4x4, etc are certainly functional, but life is too short to dance with ugly girls. A good deer rifle will last many lifetimes, and the cost will get diluted over many hours and miles carried in the field - no sense in short changing yourself if you can afford to get a better model.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

I have had Mosseburgs[308s] and done well with them.My son took it! My grandson has an old model 110 Savage and he won't part with it,i have a couple of Axis in 308 and love them. They aren't Cadillac's,but get the job done well!
I've danced with ugly girls and they are your friend forever!