Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
nosler partition vs accubond >

nosler partition vs accubond

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

nosler partition vs accubond

Old 09-02-2016, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default nosler partition vs accubond

I am thinking about trying accubond in lieu of partition bullets. I am not really getting great groups out of the partitions. aboout 2" at 100 yds and I want to shoot out to 400-500 yds. what are you thoughts on the accubond bullets?
Old 09-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had pretty similar results getting Partitions to shoot - they're a hunting bullet, and incredibly reliable, but they're a long ways from the most accurate pill out there. I can tend to get them down to 1-1.5MOA in most cases, but it does seem to take more load work up. Fantastic bullet for killing game, though.

The Accu-bond is a bullet I'd never doubt - reliable expansion due to the tipped design, but great weight retention for a tipped bullet, usually a bit cheaper than the Partition AND a better ballistic coefficient (not that it makes a HUGE difference at 400-500), and almost always accurate as all get out. Accubonds are good to go. They're my favorite big game hunting bullet in because I know they'll open, but can trust they won't blow apart so they can go deep. Just wish they didn't cost so much.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a .30-06 that will ONLY shoot the 180gr PP Partition. And I mean ONLY!! Anything else I've tried in that thing makes me want to wrap the thing around a post! I tried Accu's, Interlocks, interbonds, SST's, GMX's, Barnes TTX, Speers, and had just about given up and made a fence post out the dang thing. Couldn't get anything better than a 2.5 inch 5 shot group and that was with the Accu's. Loaded up a round of those PP Parts. and got me a 4 leaf clover with a center hole! I have a couple of pretty particular rifles but DANG this thing drove me flat out bat crap crazy! If it wasn't a pre 64 Mod 70 I wouldn't have worked so long to find a winner.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I've got a .30-06 that will ONLY shoot the 180gr PP Partition. And I mean ONLY!! Anything else I've tried in that thing makes me want to wrap the thing around a post! I tried Accu's, Interlocks, interbonds, SST's, GMX's, Barnes TTX, Speers, and had just about given up and made a fence post out the dang thing. Couldn't get anything better than a 2.5 inch 5 shot group and that was with the Accu's. Loaded up a round of those PP Parts. and got me a 4 leaf clover with a center hole! I have a couple of pretty particular rifles but DANG this thing drove me flat out bat crap crazy! If it wasn't a pre 64 Mod 70 I wouldn't have worked so long to find a winner.
Wow. Talk about picky.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
As I was reading that I was thinking, "I woulda given up.." but I suppose for a pre 64 it was worth it to get it shooting well.
-Jake
Old 09-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably blew over $150 in bullets, primers, and powder on load development for that picky bugger. But with that load I FINALLY figured out, I can bang a 10 inch gong at 800 yards consistently. It's actually one of my better shooting stock factory rifles. Just goes to show, with a little time and patience (okay more than a little sometimes) you can get a rifle that is sub par in consistency to sing like a champ!
Old 09-05-2016, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used Accubonds on deer, elk, and boar, and have NEVER had a Accubond to screw up yet-regardless of distance/retained velocity/retained energy but in all honesty the longest shot I've ever done with them was on deer at 647 yards (hobbling across my range opening day midday already wounded several times), and my last elk was 419 yards later lasered from where I shot, and to where the bull fell. I'd venture to guess a serious long shot-1,000 to 1,500 yards or more may drop them down to where they wouldn't expand reliably.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds good. I'm not planning on shooting past 500 and sounds like the accubonds will do fine. I did see on a chart where the accubonds were a little flatter shooting between 4&500 yards than the partitions and it looks to me like they "should" group better given their design.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
I've used Accubonds on deer, elk, and boar, and have NEVER had a Accubond to screw up yet-regardless of distance/retained velocity/retained energy but in all honesty the longest shot I've ever done with them was on deer at 647 yards (hobbling across my range opening day midday already wounded several times), and my last elk was 419 yards later lasered from where I shot, and to where the bull fell. I'd venture to guess a serious long shot-1,000 to 1,500 yards or more may drop them down to where they wouldn't expand reliably.
my longest with an accubond was 0ver 1300 yards, impact velocity was around 1650 fps, it still left a nickel sized exit on a whitetail hitting only possibly a rib.
RR
Old 09-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've tried Partitions several times in different rifles and could not get them to shoot as well as I could the Ballistic tips. Accubonds also shot better than the Partitions in my 308 and 30-06.