Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Breaking in a rifle barrel >

Breaking in a rifle barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Breaking in a rifle barrel

Old 05-10-2016, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Breaking in a rifle barrel

I remember seeing a post on the recommended breaking in on a rifle barrel, but could not find it. I have a Browning X-Bolt Micro Hunter in 7mm-08 that needs to be "broken in". Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Bill
Old 05-11-2016, 01:39 AM
Typical Buck

Even though it is new clean it out first.
I am sure others will let you know what their regiment is on this ?
Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Some will have a very detailed process, others will say just shoot it. Personally I clean it, then shoot 3 or 5 shots and clean, and do that for 20 or so rounds. It's nothing scientific, just how I do it.
-Jake
Old 05-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just about every custom barrel maker has a regiment for their barrels for break in. Each one being somewhat different based on the metal, cartridge (big and slow vs speedy), and rifling. With a factory barrel, my regiment is pretty much like Jakes. Send a few then clean. for about 20-50 rounds pretty much according to how good and clean the cuts in the rifling look when using my bore scope. It's also a good idea nowadays to take a good degreaser to your action then blow it out with compressed air to eliminate metal shavings that seem to almost always be in today's uninspected, pisspoor quality control factory rifles.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, a GOOD throughout cleaning of all things before I head to the range with new rifles
as you just never know what you will find in them
same with making sure all action screws are snugged up right and even
but I agree, every barrel maker has there own so called Best way of breaking in a barrel
I say keep it simple, start clean LIGHT lube, and shoot 5 rounds, clean, and repeat a few times and then, go back to what ever your normal shooting procedures are
as this too can vari a LOT from shooter to shooter, some guys will send a LOT of rounds down range without cleaning and some will clean every so often

and each shooter THINKS There way is best

IF it works for you, then be happy LOL
Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do the same. A good initial cleaning. Then cleaning after every 3 shots for about 30 rounds. Then after every 10 rounds there after to about 100 rounds or so.
IMO breaking in a barrel improves accuracy indirectly because it removes the slight machining imperfections in the bore which in turn reduces the amount of fouling build up and also ease of cleaning. I believe a clean barrel is an accurate barrel.
BYW I have the same rifle in LH. I needed to get it bedded. But now it shoots great. A nice little rifle
Old 05-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

bronko22000, my rifle is a lefthanded model.What are you using to clean with
Bill
Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here are 2 ways of doing it.

It's your rifle so you should decide which is best.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gunsm...-rifle-barrel/
Old 05-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

I don't really believe in any of those fancy protocols. I just take it out and shoot it some, clean it and shoot it some more. I do try to pace myself and not let the rifle get too hot, but all of that is just personal habit - its certainly not based on any kind of science (much like the rest of the barrel break-in protocols out there). Typically, when I have a new rifle, I like to get it set up over the course of 2 or 3 range sessions, with a light cleaning between each session. First, I'll take it out and get it on paper with a known load. It usually takes me less than 20 rounds, but I make it a point to shoot at least that many. Next session, I'll take a whole bunch of test loads with and shoot test groups to see how the rifles handle different loads or different brands of ammo. That usually ends up being another 20-50 rounds. On the last range session, I get it dialed in and fine tuned for the load I choose for the rifle. This also takes me (usually) less than 20 rounds, but I try to get another 30-50 rounds through it before I quit. After that, I consider it ready to go, whether the rifle is for hunting or punching holes in paper.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're going to get as many different answers as you will responses. Everybody has their own idea about how to go about it including me. If the barrel has been hand lapped such as a custom barrel installed, it don't require much of a break in. Yours is a factory barrel so I break factory barrels in. What I do might seem extreme to some, and have no across the board blanket proof that my method works any more or less than others. What I do when breaking a brand new factory barrel in, assuming I don't hand lap it to at least some degree (very rare that I don't hand lap) is a GOOD cleaning before the 1st round is fired. Then I shoot 1 round and clean, shoot 1 round & clean, continuing cycle for 10 rounds. Then I shoot 2-3 rounds and clean, shoot 2-3 rounds, then clean for several cycles. After that I consider it broken in, and start load development & checking accuracy/velocity. While I cannot clearly prove my method works better than lesser or complete absence of break in, it sure don't hurt anything. Having said that, 1 of the leading causes of barrels "wearing out" is improper cleaning. Be SURE to use a bore guide and I STRONGLY suggest a good quality 1 piece cleaning rod, either coated steel, brass, or the like. NEVER use uncoated steel cleaning rod, and aluminum cleaning rods are a poor excuse of cleaning rod. I also suggest spear or solid tipped jags instead of slotted tip-they do a MUCH better job, especially when you consider you're not drawing them back through the bore like most will when using slotted tip.