Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
1/2 inch all day,if i do my part ! >

1/2 inch all day,if i do my part !

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1/2 inch all day,if i do my part !

Old 05-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
OK In will throw into the mix a range story
I did a lot of range work over the yrs and way too much seat time at a lot as well

was a bunch of yrs back and at a public range,
I was sighting in some rifles for some customers.

I had my bench , one of 6 , had my complete bench set up with me, good rest spotting scope and basic's to make life easier for doing this!
I was far right side of things, so a lot of room to my left!
when in pulled up a brand new Suburban all loaded up with lift kit and chrome this and that
two guys get out smelling like a cologne factory, gold chains and designer clothing
and right off I see issue's LOL

they got out some very HIGH end gun case's a HUGE spotting scope, and some rolled up rags for a rest? HUMM<
they have them high end Custom wood weatherby rifles, and can hear the yapping to each other loud enough so I HAVE to hear them how they paid SO Much money for them and this and that
not knowing I could care less I guess?

well, I check to make sure there OK I shoot, and they say can I hold on while they run a few targets down range as they plan to sight in a few rifles today

I was OK< I;m in no rush

they take the two benches far left of me, a good say 60+ ft left of me and set up targets accordingly

we both set up to fire,
I shoot, a 3 shot group, and am happy with first riffle I have to do, was a almost a dead on , so got lucky with that one,
do a 5 shot group and then call it good enough for this customer's rifle!
put rifle away, and these morons haven't fired a shot yet??
still bragging to each other about how costly each item they have is??
mean time I am stuck waiting , as there wanting to shoot, just ??

so, I dig out gun number 2 and pt first away

and watch them in action, figuring this should be good
each has 3 rifles!
they proceed to shoot, one rifle, , ONE Shot, and then use next gun and shoot one shot and then third and one shot

I am watching and thinking WTH are they doing??

OK< time out, we go and check targets, I set up a new one for next gun and remove old one and find I have an extra hole in the target than I shot??
NOW I have my attention on them a little better

and again they are talking about HOW Great the one guy shot and how he shot 3 times and only has 2 holes, one must have been in the same hole
, NOPE< you shot my target once??
and I swear it wasn't on purpose

we shoot again, I take 3 shots for a group, and adjust and am good again, with 8 shots fired

I put gun away but don't watch them shot all of there 6 shots with 6 different rifles

again, we check targets and I have this time 2 extra holes and one guy is NOW bragging how he got all 3 of his shots in the same hole
and how his high end rifles are so awesome??

mean time other guy is complaining how his 3 are all over the target??

so this round I sit out shooting, to just watch these guys??
again, they have 3 rifles each and are taking one shot from each rifle and then swapping to different rifle

so when there done, I ask them, why they are shooting like that
first guy looks at me like a moron, and says, WHEN you sight in rifles you should always take a 3 shot group to do so??
HAHA
I should also had befre every shot they are making scope adjustments based on there last 3 shot group
ONLY they are NOT keeping track of where each different rifle shot<
rather using group as a way to adjust all three rifles scopes

I try to explain to them that I am a gun shop owner and shooting instructor and that, they are NOT shooting a 3 shot group doing what there doing, they need to shoot each rifle , ONE rifle at a time for 3 shots and THEN adjust if needed, not , 1 shots from 3 different rifles at same time??

as that is NOT a 3 shot group

well, this sends them into a rant about how they know better than me and that they have been doing this for 20+ yrs and they have killed game all over the world doing this and blah blah
I then, ask them if they realized they had also been shooting at MY target, as I kept getting extra holes in my target, thus why I sat this round out??

this pisses them off even more, saying I am a liar and I need my head examined as they know how to shoot better than I do?

and at this point I remember WHY I never really shoot at public ranges

but WOW< can you imagine shooting a target 50 + ft off and NOT knowing your that far off??

or that using 3 different rifles to shoot a 3 shot group ??

MAN< some of the folks out there with more money than brains, its almost scary

I mean I could see shooting another target as a joke or to screw with them, but these two, honestly I think had NO idea they were, heck the one guy missed his target 2 of his 3 shots and thought they all went in one hole??
and was still making scope adjustments between every shot on every rifle he fired??

SO< I bet if you asked these two, they would both say they have rifles that can shoot 1/2 inch or BETTER groups ALL day!!

OH well, sadly this is a true story, hope you enjoyed
and I also hope you all never hunt any where NEAR these guys! HAHA!
I asked where they hunt in PA< and they told me, Pike County!
I don't hunt there and happy to know that I won't see them in my area!
yeah public ranges can really suck. I do like my local when the rifle range is open just for the simple fact the range officer will boot a Jackhole in a heartbeat. I'm friends away from the range with a few of them and the stories are halarious and scary at the same time.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was shooting at a German pistol range, it is a private range. I was there on my hunting license, a law here, shooting rights can't be refused a hunter, private or not.

Three soldiers show up, instead of spreading out they were all on one shooting stand on the far left, ten shooting stands. I really don't know what they were thinking, they sure as heck weren't members.

Far right was a Cop shooting quick fire pop up targets. I was in the middle shooting Olympic style.

Each stand has a horn button, Germans are pretty courteous. They usually clear their weapon, step back and wait for everybody to finish their round and then somebody hits the horn button.

The guys on the left were fiddling around with their pistols, I was finished, the Cop hit the horn button, looks left, makes eye contact with everybody, goes down to his target and the guys on the left start shooting. I hit my horn button and yell cease fire.

Cop walks back to the shooting table picks up his pistol, locks and loads, puts it in his holster and hits the horn button again, looks left, makes eye contact with everybody and walks down to his target.

These yahoos start shooting again. I hit the horn button, yell cease fire and these guys start to argue it is safe because this guy is at the other end of the range. I yell it may be safe for him but it isn't likely safe for you, this Cop (looking seriously PO'd) is still standing down range facing the obnoxious shooters with his hand on his pistol. I bust out laughing, told these guys they had better hit the road.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-10-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they where US soldiers they they should have had a mud hole stomped into their chests. They know from day one to never send anything down range on a cease fire let alone if anyone is beyond the line even if range is hot.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
If they where US soldiers they they should have had a mud hole stomped into their chests. They know from day one to never send anything down range on a cease fire let alone if anyone is beyond the line even if range is hot.
I have no idea what was running through their minds. Best guess is they were Air force maybe, maybe security contractors? I know few Army or Marines who would screw it up that bad.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what you guys are talking about, 1/2" groups! All of my rifles shoot one shot groups with every shot!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

The objective of each of my hunting rifles is to hit the game with it's first shot!

Many times more shots are not needed.

On the other hand I shoot my target rifles in competition. We get sighter shots at each match. There a target rifles 'grouping' ability is more important!

I keep records of how each rifle shot at the range with the date, where the first shot hit, the rifles bore condition and any other detail.

A current favorite, a M70 300 Win mag put these shots on at 200 yds. Hitting the game is what accuracy is. Where the shots hit is paramount.

Last edited by Savage_99; 05-11-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't see well anymore, but around 2006-2010 I shot a lot and could do pretty well
3 shots from my 20 tac at 150 yards

Best group I ever shot, 3 shots from my 6.5 Gibbs at a lazered 752 yards

RR
Old 05-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Darn it RR that Gibbs is a lousy shooter. You have to be at least 1" to the right! I'd throw that thing in the trash. (Just let me know when and where you toss it)
Old 05-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Darn it RR that Gibbs is a lousy shooter. You have to be at least 1" to the right! I'd throw that thing in the trash. (Just let me know when and where you toss it)
yeah, but with the L2R wind I had, 1 more click left windage would have put it the same place left of the white 1" square.
RR
Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Mountain man I have 1 of those ppc sakos and yes you are right a super gun. It took a lot of test loads to find one that went over an inch.
I have never seen another gun like it.