Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying new rifle - recommendations? >

Buying new rifle - recommendations?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying new rifle - recommendations?

Old 03-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Spike

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Sounds like .270 or .30-06 is the way to go. Reloading them sounds cheaper as well. As far as brands go, which brands for those calibers would you all recommend? Also recommendations for scopes would be a plus.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot a number of elk with a 30-06 and they have always gone right down. Never had one get away. In addition it has taken dozens of large bodied northern whitetail a few caribou and a long list of varmints. That caliber along with .308 and .270 are excellent calibers for all around use.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brandon, sounds like that combo with the Nikon is actually a good deal. I am an avid Nikon user. Every firearm I have that has glass has Nikon glass on it. USUALLY I am with most the other on here as far as combo deals being a bad idea but you USUALLY see junk glass on them not a decent quality scope. I am also with everyone on you NOT needing a .300WM to start out with. Just because you are big doesn't make you automatically recoil tolerant. I'm a little over 6'5" and average around 260# and I really hate the recoil from many of my rifles. My .500NE double would make a Brown bear sit down and cry from either end A good .30-06 is more than sufficient to take anything on this continent as long as you use the proper bullet and put that proper bullet where it's supposed to go. I've dropped several Moose right where they were with my 06's. In all actuality, the .300WM really has no advantage over the 06 until you pass around 400 yards or so.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Spike

super_hunt54, thank you for the informative reply. That's the big issue I seem to face right now is whether to look for the rifle and glass separate or at the combo deal. I researched that Nikon scope a bit and read a lot of good reviews about it. But then again, is there a scope comparable or slightly better then that for a decent price? Not sure where to look or what brands are quality.

Last edited by Brandon_Lawhorn; 03-19-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Brandon_Lawhorn
super_hunt54, thank you for the informative reply. That's the big issue I seem to face right now is whether to look for the rifle and glass separate or at the combo deal. I researched that Nikon scope a bit and read a lot of good reviews about it. But then again, is there a scope comparable or slightly better then that for a decent price? Not sure where to look or what brands are quality.
I don't think Nikon makes a bad scope.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Brandon_Lawhorn
If I am thinking correctly, that looks to be a ProStaff model Nikon on that rifle. They are an excellent entry level to high medium quality glass scope in my opinion. I have a few ProStaffs and have never had a single problem from any of them. Honestly, for the money, they are a very good quality product. They aren't on the level of a Monarch but they aren't far enough apart for the price difference in my opinion. That little 16/116 Savage is a short rifle built for hunting. It's not really a long range rig in any cartridge offering anyway so that pairing seems about as perfect a mate as you can get for that price. My own little opinion would be to tell you if the rifle fits you well then jump on it. It's a fair price for that combo and in 30-06 would be a fine rifle for anything you want to hunt on this continent. Savage is hard to beat for out of the box factory rifle quality and precision. Especially for the prices.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

The prostaff is a good scope. Not top of the line, but it will work well for you and you can spend more to upgrade later. I have a prostaff on 3 different rifles and have been pleased with all of them.
-Jake
Old 03-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Spike

So, after some more searching, I came across a Remington 700 long-range (not sure if it's an overrated rifle since I hear everyone and their mother either is talking about one or owning one). Cost about $740 with no glass. Like i said, not sure if these rifles are overrated, or if they're quality. Also saw a Remington 700 SPS Stainless for $700.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Earlier in the thread, you were cautioned about the big box stores. I generally agree w/what was said, but I do believe you should consider Dicks Sporting Goods if you have one not too far from you. As long as you go into a big box store knowing what you want and that they have it, you're good to go. Just don't ask them any questions so they can change your mind or cause you to question what you need.

Dicks is great if you catch them on a sale. Here's an example. The first Thompson Center Omega I purchased was a Camo, stainless, weathershield, muzzleloader w/thumbhole stock. The gun was easily a mid $500 purchase. (Read very good gun) The gun was on sale for, IIRC, $459, a $100 discount. It lso had a $50 mfr. discount. Tax price was about $414 for what could have easily been a $600 tax price gun.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 03-20-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Shop and compare scopes on a web site like http://www.opticsplanet.com/riflesco...flescopes-US-S

I have a good many scopes, Bushnell, two muzzle loaders, 308 Remington 700, 243 Remington 700. Leopold (my most hated, only scope I've ever had to send back for a repair) compact on Remington 700 300wm, Ruger 77 22lr, Simmons Ruger 77 220 swift, Ruger 77 22 hornet, Pentex My favorite scope of all on a Remington 700 mountain rifle 7mm08, Remington model 7 in 7mm08.

My favorite bolt rifle is a Remington 700, not as well made today as they once were but I really don't think any thing is.

Just keep in mind when you buy from a box store there is not one bit of service worth a crap after you drop all those dollars on the counter or swipe the plastic. You will be on your own once that is finished.
I learned that lesson the hard way. Bought a new shot gun from Sears (yes once they sole shot guns and rifles.) in Mid June 1970, At the range shooting trap the end of July a part broke so it would not eject empty hulls, took it to Sears expecting a replacement, NO it had to be sent to the factory under warranty. Sept. arrived along with pat hunting, rabbit hunting and I do not have a shot gun. Oct arrives and Pheasant season arrives with duck season and goose season and I do not have a shot gun.
Decide if I am going to do any shot gun hunting I will need to buy a new one. this time I went to the local gun shop and I still own that shot gun today 46 trouble free years later. The one sears sent in I got back finally mid February 1971. Gave it to my brother when he got out of the service, hunted part of a season with it hated it and traded at the local gun shop for a sxs he still has.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 03-20-2016 at 03:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.