HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Browning A-bolt 270 with BOSS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/40526-browning-bolt-270-boss.html)

153 10-20-2003 05:28 AM

Browning A-bolt 270 with BOSS

Purchased new A-bolt 270 with BOSS.Leupold 3.5x10x50 on Warne mounts.Chorographed with 130 Winchester Ballistic Tips 2900fps with CR and 2800fps with muzzle brake.Set to factory sweet spot on BOSS of 2.5 groups(all groups were at 100 yards) were 2-2.5 inches went out yesterday moving BOSS up to 2.75 got 1 inch groups,then 3.0 got 1.25 groups final move to 2.8 last two groups were .75 inch with Winchester 130 BST and last group with Hornady SST-IB 130 was .417.I think that I am ready for hunting season.This is my second Brownig with a BOSS,the first is a BAR 3006 that will always place the first three shots under and inch at 100 yards.For someone that wants an accurate gun with factory ammo I think the BOSS is the answer.

stubblejumper 10-20-2003 06:20 AM

RE: Browning A-bolt 270 with BOSS

I have owned a boss equipped rifle and found that I could shoot just as accurately with a non boss equipped gun using handloads.The number of rounds required to optimize the boss setting was just as great as to develop a handload for a gun.

akbound 10-20-2003 07:01 AM

I owned one of the Winchester Model 70' s equipped with a BOSS, chambered in .25-06. I used that rifle a number of seasons particularly for long range woodchucks and some " stand" hunting for whitetails. I liked the system and shot it a considerable amount particularly at the range and on chucks. It was " very" accurate.

One day while " chuck" hunting I took a shot at about 300 yards across a field that was nearly 500 yards long. There were trees on both sides of me approximately 50 yards to either side, (fence rows), and a wooded section about nearly 500 yards to my front. I FORGOT TO PUT IN MY EAR PLUGS!!!!! Apparently due to the shape of the field, (a slight bowl shape), and with the trees as backdrop the " muzzle report" hit my ears as hard as if someone had " clapped" them. My ears literally " HURT" for most of that afternoon and I heard ringing for several days afterward.

I never shoot at the range without ear plugs and sometimes even muffs. And I put plugs in prior to shooting while chuck hunting (unless I am shooting a rimfire or maybe a hornet). But once in a while you need to take a shot rather quickly....and sometimes you forget, (as above). And I do NOT use hearing protection while whitetail hunting....it would be to much of a hindrance and normally it is all over in one shot! But that day I decided I would not have a " game rifle" that I was afraid to shoot hunting....without hearing protection. (That rifle was made with the earlier version of the BOSS that you could NOT turn off!) Within a season or so I had traded it for another rifle....without the BOSS. In all fairness though I must admit I have NOT tried the newer version that you can turn the brake " On or Off" . I would like to try it as I liked everything else about the system.

Maybe someday?

Danny45 10-20-2003 01:41 PM

You don' t " turn-off" the BOSS. They have a CR (conventional recoil) BOSS that you can get, it' s either free or at nominal cost. You just unscrew the regular " compensated" BOSS and screw on the CR BOSS. You don' t even have to change the settings if you' re already dialed in.

Eman33 10-20-2003 07:24 PM

I agree that the BOSS is a good system. However, I had one in 7mm and shot it once on stand for Whitetail, my ears hurt for days. There are other ways to achieve the accuracy that are alot less rough on the hearing.

akbound 10-21-2003 07:07 AM

Hi Danny 45,

Thanks for the info....I meant that the " brake" is off, (which reduces muzzle blast). The effect that the BOSS has on accuracy remains the same. I' ve read the reports and they all indicate that the new system works well...and I know that I would appreciate the lack of noise while shooting without the " brake" . Especially with a caliber like the .25-06 where recoil isn' t very bothersome. But being able to change the vibrations of the barrel and tune it to the load you shoot is a nice feature!

Thanks again for the clarification!

flatheader 10-21-2003 11:25 PM

i have a 300win mag, a 30/06 both browning and a winchester 70 in 30/06 all with the boss, i use the cr for hunting but the brake is on at the range, i reallllly like the system, but i also am just plain partial to browning stuf...:)

153 10-22-2003 05:40 AM

Flathead,I get 100fps difference between CR and brake.Have you measured any difference shooting with CR and brake?What size groups are you getting?

flatheader 10-22-2003 09:06 AM

i don' t have a chrono, but so i can' t tell. on a good dayi run consitant 1 to 1.5 on a great day i' ll have some 3 shot groups that are touching ,, i figure with my 300s, that is great , the model 70 will shoot 1" and under, and 2.5 and somtimes less at 300,, i have had the triger lightened up on that one