HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   First Rifle - X-Bolt vs A7 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/405108-first-rifle-x-bolt-vs-a7.html)

Viz 03-07-2016 08:01 PM

First Rifle - X-Bolt vs A7

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and I'm sure theres been this discussion (been spending the last few weeks scouring the internet!) here prior but I'm kind of stuck and need a little help!

A little context. I'm a new hunter, I gone for the first time last year and I'm addicted! I'm buying my first rifle in the coming weeks for summer so I can practice before heading out to the field again. I've been looking and I've decided between the Browning X-Bolt and the Sako A7. I know the Tika T3 is a great choice, but I rather the stock (soft touch) and double safety offered by the other two models.

I was pretty dead set on the 30-06 caliber as I would like a versatile weapon I could take on most hunts. However, due to high USD rates, prices are nuts now. I found a few good deals on botht he X-Bolt and the A7, but they're not the caliber I was hoping for. I was able to find;

- Sako A7 300 WSM for 1050$
- X-Bolt 270 win. for 1035$

I've read extensively on both calibers and both seem would fit the bill but I am stomped!

Which do you guys think I should get? Thanks a ton in advance for your advice!

Bocajnala 03-07-2016 10:23 PM

What will you be hunting primarily? As a new hunter just starting out I would suggest the .270 for you. Not that the .300WSM wouldn't work, it absolutely will. However, the .270 has a milder recoil, is cheaper, easier to find ammo for, and will work for most anything you would hunt probably.
-Jake

jeepkid 03-08-2016 05:43 AM

X-Bolt in .270 Win...perfect first rifle.

Viz 03-08-2016 02:35 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I actually ended up jumping on an X-Bolt 270, turns out I found a new one for 680+tx... couldn't miss that opportunity! lol

I'm actually planning to do deer and moose mainly, and I was hoping to do black bear next year which is why I wasn't certain if the 270 would cut it. Guess I don't have a choice now :P

salukipv1 03-08-2016 05:15 PM

A7 for sure. 5 shot MOA guarantee.

I've owned a couple nice brownings though.

spartan1 03-08-2016 07:32 PM

I have Blaser R93 in cal. 9,3x62 and Tikka T3 in cal. 308 win. At Blaser you can only replace the barrels, but is well above that budget. Why not look Tikka T3 in cal. 270 win.

spartan1 03-09-2016 11:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
That my Blaser R93 with new stock.

Mojotex 03-12-2016 05:42 AM

You have received plenty of good advice and your choice was a very good one. The 270 Win. is a very versatile cartridge. I have no experience hunting moose, but for deer sized game, it is one of the most popular down my way. You may already know all of this so forgive me if I come across condescending. If you are going tom use a scope, buy the very best that you can afford. You will not regret the $$$. If you are not hand loading your hunting ammo, be sure to try a few different factory loads. Most of the time one of these factory loads will group substantially better than others. My experience has been that a quality 130 gr. bullet is about as good as it gets for medium game. Good luck.

hoghunting 03-12-2016 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Viz (Post 4248932)
Thanks for the replies guys, I actually ended up jumping on an X-Bolt 270, turns out I found a new one for 680+tx... couldn't miss that opportunity! lol

Mercy, didn't you guys read this in his post??? He is no longer looking for a rifle.