HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   S&W Shield and Bodyguard (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/405006-s-w-shield-bodyguard.html)

d80hunter 03-05-2016 04:18 PM

S&W Shield and Bodyguard

Today the Mrs. and I went to the LGS to look around. She has finally got over the scare of being robbed last year enough that I talked her into getting a CCW pistol. After careful selection she picked a S&W Bodyguard 380 with the laser. Figuring we would be spending time together shooting and always looking for an excuse I also got a S&W Shied 9mm. I have two .357 revolvers, the GP-100 and LCR so I felt it was time to try a pistol for CCW to mix it up with the LCR. Plus she doesn't like the noise from my magnum revolvers so she will have more fun with me shooting my 9mm.

We should be enjoying some time together shooting by tomorrow. I hope it goes so well she asks to shoot my rifles and finally tries hunting with me. She just said she was a little nervous, I think it is time to move on from being scared by some fool robber however frightening it must have been.

muzzlestuffer 03-05-2016 04:44 PM

yeah that's scary i'm glad she's ok !! i wish you luck on getting your wife more involved in our sport mine will go bird hunting with me and she makes a great quail flusher but she won't go deer or elk with me maybe i can talk her into turkey hunting n.m. has over the counter tags i used to hunt there every year before we got married ! keep us posted.

Champlain Islander 03-05-2016 05:34 PM

I have a 9mm Shield on order. Feels great in my hand and I am looking forward to getting it.

d80hunter 03-06-2016 11:27 AM

The shooting did go well. We shot in the backyard at some paper targets. She wasn't very accurate with the Bodyguard but she gave it her best. The long DOA trigger will take some time for her to get used to. The laser sight made my groups considerably better than I usually do with a pistol of that size.

With the Shield I put all my shots within a baseball without much effort. We were shooting at 50 feet. I did enjoy the ease of 9mm compared to shooting full power 357 ammo out the 16oz. LCR. We will be going back out soon to shoot a few more mags today.

Both are very easy to carry concealed. The Bodyguard even more so because of its size. The Shield is way more of a shootable and accurate gun. I am very suprised at the accuracy and comfort of the Shield for being in the compact class of pistols. CI you will not be disappointed with it at all.

I do believe I will be using the Shield for EDC and the LCR will be a backup gun in the truck and home.

muzzlestuffer 03-06-2016 11:53 AM

i had a s&w shield in .40 cal i had trouble with it right from the get go! s&w paid to ship it back right away and i can't remember if it took once or twice to fix it but i lost confidence in it as a carry gun so i sold it. which reminds me i have a couple of really nice holsters that i bought for it if your looking for one let me know and i'll send pic's.

Champlain Islander 03-06-2016 02:12 PM

The shop had one with safety in a 40 but I want my wife to learn to shoot and protect herself so I am waiting for the 9 which should be a little tamer recoil wise to come in. I am old school and having a thumb safety is something I need for piece of mind.

d80hunter 03-06-2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer (Post 4248396)
i had a s&w shield in .40 cal i had trouble with it right from the get go! s&w paid to ship it back right away and i can't remember if it took once or twice to fix it but i lost confidence in it as a carry gun so i sold it. which reminds me i have a couple of really nice holsters that i bought for it if your looking for one let me know and i'll send pic's.

Unfortunately I shoot handguns left handed.Thanks anyway muzzlestuffer.

d80hunter 03-06-2016 02:36 PM

I prefer a safety on auto-pistols as well. IMO the safety on the Shield is stiff enough to not be an issue with accidental movement.

muzzlestuffer 03-06-2016 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by d80hunter (Post 4248422)
Unfortunately I shoot handguns left handed.Thanks anyway muzzlestuffer.

ok no worries thanks for getting back !!

jerry d 03-07-2016 08:44 AM

I have the 9mm shield and my wife had the bodyguard 380.

I like the shield, nice trigger, good sights & conceals well. The 380 has a very long trigger pull which for some is difficult to get use to. The sights on the BG are all black and IMO needed to be painted white, which I did. Also the grip is on the slender side.

My wife was never able to get used to the long trigger pull and narrow grip so we traded it in on a sig sauer p238, which she really likes.