Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Have you see what Ruger is selling? >

Have you see what Ruger is selling?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Have you see what Ruger is selling?

Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Have you see what Ruger is selling?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/rug...hot-show-2016/
Old 02-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the looks of that little can. I wouldn't mind seeing how well that baffle design worked for larger calibers like my 6.8 SPC. We use cans a lot while night hunting hogs. Much quieter for when we are hunting in more populated areas.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't you need go go through some hoops to be able to purchase a silencer?
Old 03-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on your state.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Don't you need go go through some hoops to be able to purchase a silencer?
It's not a silencer that requires a $200 license through the BATFE. It's a suppressor that does not eliminate the sound altogether like a silencer that requires a license for each gun you want to put one on.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
It's not a silencer that requires a $200 license through the BATFE. It's a suppressor that does not eliminate the sound altogether like a silencer that requires a license for each gun you want to put one on.
Uhhh Nope. 100% incorrect there Topper. ANY devise put on the barrel to suppress or "muffle" the report from a firearm is considered a "suppressor" and is "Taxed" by BATFE. The term "silencer" is a misnomer from Hollywood and is in no way differentiated by the BATFE. I own several but living in the backasswards state of Illinois I can not keep them here. One of my hunting buddies keeps them for me in his lockup in another state. And suppressors only tone down the report. They muffle the BOOM but unless you are using sub sonic loaded ammo they do absolutely nothing about the sonic crack.

And yep Bronko, you have to dance all kinds of jigs and usually wait like 4 months sometimes for it to go through.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Uhhh Nope. 100% incorrect there Topper. ANY devise put on the barrel to suppress or "muffle" the report from a firearm is considered a "suppressor" and is "Taxed" by BATFE. The term "silencer" is a misnomer from Hollywood and is in no way differentiated by the BATFE. I own several but living in the backasswards state of Illinois I can not keep them here. One of my hunting buddies keeps them for me in his lockup in another state. And suppressors only tone down the report. They muffle the BOOM but unless you are using sub sonic loaded ammo they do absolutely nothing about the sonic crack.

And yep Bronko, you have to dance all kinds of jigs and usually wait like 4 months sometimes for it to go through.
It was initially my understanding that when suppressors first really started being sold in the last few years that they were not considered under the BATFE requirement of a silencer costing that $200 tax through the Agency. I looked into it further after reading your post and you are indeed correct. Mea culpa everyone!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-03-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-04-2016, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes they are under the BATFE and for everyone you purchase say you buy 3 at one time will still require the 200 tax stamp fee for each so you will pay 600 all together. I know some states they are still illegal in, and some states if I read correctly have additional steps in place for someone purchasing them. NC I copied the two methods on for individual the second for a trust.

1. Register the silencer in your own name

Obtain the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm) complete the required information on the form, remember to complete all information in duplicate.. Complete the back by answering the questions and stating the reason you are acquiring the silencer. Sign and date the back of the form. Again, remember to complete all information in duplicate.

Affix a recent color passport-sized photograph of yourself on the back of each copy of the form.

Acquire a signature of the chief law enforcement officer of your county or your local sheriff. While you are at the station obtaining the required signature, ink up your fingers and get two copies of FBI fingerprint cards (FBI Form FD-258) that you will send in with the two duplicates of Form 4. Fill out the ATF Form 5330.20 (Certification of Compliance). This form does not have to be in duplicate.

Place both completed copies of Form 4, the two copies of FBI fingerprint cards, and the completed Certification of Compliance form in an envelope, along with a check or money order (payable to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) for $200 and mail to the address listed on Form 4.

2. Register the silencer to a trust or corporation

When you register your silencer to a trust or corporation we will handle all the paperwork for you. Simply scan your trust or corporation documents into a PDF file and email them to us at [email protected] .

Once we have your trust or corporate documents we submit your form 4 to the ATF for processing along with your $200 for the tax on each suppressor. No finger prints or CLEO sign off is needed when usiing your trust or corporation to register NFA items. The ATF does require the NICS background check when completing the form 4473 to transfer the item to the person acting on behalf of the trust or corporation.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Suppressors are remarkably simple pieces of equipment, making them right up the alley for a manufacturing innovator like Ruger. Sig brought theirs out, seemed to be doing OK with it, but the all American brand Ruger has a distinct market advantage.

Ruger specializes in two things - innovating high volume, low cost production methods, and selling to "virgins." The majority of the Ruger line up - especially their new model releases in the last decade or more - have been aimed at accessing the new firearm owner; in other words, Ruger wants to sell people their first firearms (or first in respective classes). Starting out with a low cost, Ruger branded, rimfire suppressor was a smart move for Ruger. The tooling and labor cost to spool them up is minimal, the market appeal is huge, and if it works out, it's a great tester for a larger suppressor market for them. If you can't sell a rimfire suppressor to the masses, you can't sell a centerfire suppressor, so Ruger's position now is to start with their best bet, then wait and see how many phone calls and "tell the CEO" emails they get asking why they don't make a CF version too...

To me, it's encouraging. I don't think suppressors will ever get delisted, but having a mainstream manufacturer putting one out these days is a step in the right direction.