Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm vs 300 win vs 28 nosler

Old 02-25-2016, 01:02 AM
  #11  
Nontypical Buck
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: central Ky
Posts: 2,867
Default

If the WSM has any accuracy advantage over the win mag I sure cannot see it. I've built a BUNCH of rifles including precision, match, and tactical, and simply can't tell any difference other than the win mag has advantage of more room when loading long high BC bullet loads. Just about anybody that loads belted mags neck sizes so that after the 1st firing the case is fireformed to chamber and thus headspaces on shoulder after that. In fact full length resizing causes excessive case stretching & over working.


Originally Posted by gunnermhr
300 Win Mag simply because of Bullet selection. I'd take a WSM over it though because of inherent accuracy and it isn't a belted mag. I have a few 300WSM's and won't be without one.
stalkingbear is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 05:17 AM
  #12  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 240
Default

the WSM is much more efficient than the 300 Win Mag, 61 grains of H4350 will push a 210 VLD Berger 2860fps, the win mag will take almost 10 more grains of powder to get the same velocity. Speaking competitively the WSM now dominates over the win mag in long range, in fact it has over taken all the big 300's. You'll see a few 300 improved cases but very few. The WSM holds the 1000 yard 10 shot record in Heavy gun (2.815") and did in light gun (3.505") until it was recently beat by a 6 Dasher (2.687").

I'm not saying a Win Mag isn't a great cartridge, it is for sure. But if you are going to shoot for accuracy the WSM is by far the best choice for long range in a 30 caliber. Decent Barrel Life and easy to tune.
gunnermhr is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 06:24 AM
  #13  
Giant Nontypical
 
jeepkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ****ifornia
Posts: 5,052
Default

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
the WSM is much more efficient than the 300 Win Mag, 61 grains of H4350 will push a 210 VLD Berger 2860fps, the win mag will take almost 10 more grains of powder to get the same velocity. Speaking competitively the WSM now dominates over the win mag in long range, in fact it has over taken all the big 300's. You'll see a few 300 improved cases but very few. The WSM holds the 1000 yard 10 shot record in Heavy gun (2.815") and did in light gun (3.505") until it was recently beat by a 6 Dasher (2.687").

I'm not saying a Win Mag isn't a great cartridge, it is for sure. But if you are going to shoot for accuracy the WSM is by far the best choice for long range in a 30 caliber. Decent Barrel Life and easy to tune.
I bet those WSM's are built on single shot LONG actions too...I wouldn't want that on a hunting rifle...
jeepkid is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 06:54 AM
  #14  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 240
Default

They are on long actions, why wouldn't you want a WSM in a hunting rifle on a long action? You can't buy a Win Mag, 7MM Rem Mag or a Nosler in a short action.
gunnermhr is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 07:22 AM
  #15  
Giant Nontypical
 
jeepkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ****ifornia
Posts: 5,052
Default

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
They are on long actions, why wouldn't you want a WSM in a hunting rifle on a long action? You can't buy a Win Mag, 7MM Rem Mag or a Nosler in a short action.
Because the point of a WSM is to be on a lighter weight short action. And a WSM on a long action can run into feeding issues for a repeater.

Also there isn't a factory WSM on a long action...
jeepkid is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 11:58 AM
  #16  
Nontypical Buck
 
super_hunt54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,695
Default

Huge difference between a hunting rifle and a competition rifle. Since the OP is asking about hunting rifles I do believe all this hoohaa about competition results from bench guns is a moot point. As far as the comparison on wsm vs. wm, the ONLY reason there would be any more accuracy from the wsm would be BECAUSE of the short action being stiffer. Less flex upon firing= a little more accuracy but in the hunting world, that .002" difference would be totally meaningless. If you have the barrel and twist to handle them, Bear nailed it as far as the WM having the edge because of more case room for longer and better BC bullets than the WSM.
super_hunt54 is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 11:59 AM
  #17  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern wv
Posts: 3,697
Default

the current 10 shot 1000 yard heavy gun record was set in 2010 2.6" and change, shot with a 6mm dasher.
besides that hodgdon data says with only 5 gr. more powder the winny outruns the wsm by 60 fps, at lower pressure. now why would that be? perhaps capacity? of course a smaller case is thought to be more efficient, because 1 gr. of powder will increase pressure more in a smaller case. load them both to the same pressure don't worry about less than 2 cents worth of powder it costs ya more and see which is on top.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 02-25-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Ridge Runner is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 03:01 PM
  #18  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 240
Default

I simply stated in the beginning of the thread not to under sell the wsm, though questions and doubt I tried to explain why the wsm is second to none. I know you can't compare hunting rifles and match rifles but you can compare cartridge to cartridge.

Ridgerunner, soon the dasher will hold all the records, but right now heavy gun is owned by Matt Kline and I can assure you it's with a 300wsm at 2.8 inches, dasher holds light gun at 2.6
gunnermhr is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 04:40 PM
  #19  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern wv
Posts: 3,697
Default

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
I simply stated in the beginning of the thread not to under sell the wsm, though questions and doubt I tried to explain why the wsm is second to none. I know you can't compare hunting rifles and match rifles but you can compare cartridge to cartridge.

Ridgerunner, soon the dasher will hold all the records, but right now heavy gun is owned by Matt Kline and I can assure you it's with a 300wsm at 2.8 inches, dasher holds light gun at 2.6
well look up and get back with me, took me less than a minute to find it.
RR
Ridge Runner is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 06:24 PM
  #20  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 240
Default

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
well look up and get back with me, took me less than a minute to find it.
RR
Nope, I'm not seeing it
gunnermhr is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.