Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
looking for my first deer rifle. i have something in mind... >

looking for my first deer rifle. i have something in mind...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking for my first deer rifle. i have something in mind...

Old 02-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I am a proud owner a .223 Tikka T3 lite in stainless.

IMO Excellent for the money !!!
hows the maintenance on your rifle is it fair? also i was wondering about the trigger does it need a "trigger job"?
Old 02-15-2016, 12:38 PM
Spike

for optics ill be using weaver grand slam rmef series model 800475
4.5x-14x40 any advise on this matter. its new just been sitting for a long time
Old 02-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

the vanguard is a howa 1500, been marketed through the years under different labels, vanguard, smith & Wesson, and with the parent companies name howa, really decent rifles.
Tikka is also a great rifle but I don't care for the plastic magazine on the T3's
RR
Old 02-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
the vanguard is a howa 1500, been marketed through the years under different labels, vanguard, smith & Wesson, and with the parent companies name howa, really decent rifles.
Tikka is also a great rifle but I don't care for the plastic magazine on the T3's
RR
The Howa has a better trigger and bottom metal then the Vanguard, imo. I thought they were the same exact rifle until I had both sitting here, there's a couple differences. The Nosler rifle is also based on a Howa.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Have a howa, 2 vanguards and a Smith and Wesson 1500. The howa and the newer vanguard I have made in 2003 have the same triggers in them. The vanguard with a synthic stock as a better synthic stock on it then my howa with a synthic stock. All of them are nice rifle and the older ones with the two way safties. The one vanguard is an older one with a three digit serial number. Looked at the tikka nice rifle but if I was buying and new one out of the two howa/vanguard or tikka I would get the howa/vanguard.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbj270
Have a howa, 2 vanguards and a Smith and Wesson 1500. The howa and the newer vanguard I have made in 2003 have the same triggers in them. The vanguard with a synthic stock as a better synthic stock on it then my howa with a synthic stock. All of them are nice rifle and the older ones with the two way safties. The one vanguard is an older one with a three digit serial number. Looked at the tikka nice rifle but if I was buying and new one out of the two howa/vanguard or tikka I would get the howa/vanguard.
Two-stage triggers in them?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

I would not own a Howa.

They are made in japan by those who killed my uncle in WW2.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Two-stage triggers in them?
No single stage triggers. Both the howa and the vanguard or only a couple years part. I got the vanguard for high school graduation and got the howa while I was in college. The vanguard is 300 wby and the howa is 338 win. Both had heavy trigger pulls to I had them lightened buy a gun Smith.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Spike

I am a sucker for a used gun, I would look for one that needed some TLC, an make it my gun !!!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

What's wrong with your pump? I'll take it off your hands if your done with it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those options listed.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.