Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Monarch .357 Ammo >

Monarch .357 Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Monarch .357 Ammo

Old 01-27-2016, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Monarch .357 Ammo

I just bought a box of brass case 158 gr. SJHP .357 ammo from Academy Sports. Does anyone know the ballistics on them out of a 4 inch barrel? Any other info is appreciated too. Thanks
Old 01-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I recall correctly, the Monarch is made by Prvi Partisan. It should have a cited velocity in a 10" barrel of 490fps, good for 1607fps. I'd assume that's a sealed bore test barrel velocity. I also tend to assume 35-50fps loss per inch of barrel (wide range, I know).

So in your 4" revolver, if you have a standard 6thou B/C gap, you'll lose about 9% of your velocity, gets us down to 1462fps... Then your short barrel (6" shorter than the test tube) will cost you somewhere between 200-300fps... So you should expect somewhere around 1,100fps out of that load in your 4" revolver. Maybe a little more.

I'd assume you're not shooting long distance with these, so the external "ballistics," referring to its trajectory won't really matter. I'd tend to assume - since this is a 4" revolver - that the dynamics mean a lot more, as in the velocity and resultant energy and momentum of your bullet as it leaves the barrel and hits an assailant. But I'd love to hear more if you're shooting a 4" revolver at longer ranges!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Spike

Academy Sports sells monarch ammo and it does have PPU stamped on the brass and it is made in Serbia....so, it is Prvi Partizan, which in my humble opinion is decent ammo. I'd never describe it as match grade ammo, but I've never had a problem with the hundreds of rounds of their rifle ammo I've shot. I assume their pistol brass will be good for reloading as is their rifle brass.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I will be shooting this ammo out of a Ruger Security Six 4 inch barrel. I had read on the internet that it may be "hot" which I do not care for, I just wanted some decent general purpose .357 ammo. I have been keeping an eye out for 125 grain Federal or Remington ammo but gun fodder is still scarce in SE MO.
This is the Serbia made stuff with the PPL headstamp. I also read that it shoots "dirty" and can foul lockwork. It is relatively cheap for this day and age, I paid $22 for a box of 50 rounds.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it's actually substantially "hot," it'd be within 0-50fps of Hornady's and Remington's loads, a LOT lighter than Buffalo Bore's High Velocity 125grn's... It's not a reduced recoil load, that's fair, but I wouldn't expect that it's a barn-burner. Hot 125's don't burn up Mag's like they do Max's. I wouldn't buy another box if you think they're too hot.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Jenks

Perfecta (@Walmart) is a cheap option, if they carry it in .357. I heard the brand cycles good, not steel-cased but shoots dirtier than most others.

I clean my pistols after every range outing. So if one brand is dirtier than some, I'm OK with it, as long as it shoots well. It's not a brand I would use for everyday carry anyways.