Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Concealed Carry Gun? >

Concealed Carry Gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Concealed Carry Gun?

Old 04-06-2017, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used to carry a 1911 .45 in a horizontal rig when I was wearing either a jacket or sport coat on the job. Before I retired I switched to my Kahr MK .40 on my hip and it is still the gun I carry the most. When in shorts and a T-shirt I usually slip my American Derringer in .45 Colt into my right shorts pocket and a few shells into my other pocket.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I used to carry a 1911 .45 in a horizontal rig when I was wearing either a jacket or sport coat on the job. Before I retired I switched to my Kahr MK .40 on my hip and it is still the gun I carry the most. When in shorts and a T-shirt I usually slip my American Derringer in .45 Colt into my right shorts pocket and a few shells into my other pocket.
I believe I'm gonna have to have one of those Kahrs

I don't carry much but I'll never forget when the Ferguson MO stuff was going on and my mother in law had to be taken through there for cancer treatments and I had to ride along armed and ready to shoot every time.

Sad when you have to do that to get somebody their cancer treatments.

Last edited by rockport; 04-06-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really like mine. The MK 40 is all steel, not just the slide but frame and all, and it really shoots well. I had to qualify last month in order to keep my retired LE officer National carry privilege, we shoot from 3 yards back to 25 yards. Even with 70 YO eyes I shot a group about the size of a saucer. I put a Crimson Trace grips on it but I rarely use the laser, I got it mainly for low light situations.The gun really saved my bacon when that wounded boar charged me in Feb. No pun intended. They should have called out the National Guard and ended that nonsense with the thugs in Ferguson by whatever means necessary.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-06-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Now I'm looking at Kahrs on the web. There goes the budget.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

They are well made handguns. If you have big hands I recommend buying the extended magazines for the MK 40. It extends the grip to the little finger which is perfect for my hands.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

How is the trigger?

The kel tec trigger sucks .....actually it pretty much sucks all around accept its very very small and gives you 10 40S&W shots and does so reliably.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

I looked on the trigger pull and there isn't much that's definitive. Plenty of comments on the smoothness of the pull but not so much on the wight of the pull. I hate DA pulls in general but especially long ones. Guess I'm gonna have to handle one at the local gun store and see how it feels. I do like the compactness, finish and apparent fit though.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

The trigger pull is pretty good, not as good as my 686 revolver but for a double action striker gun it is not bad, similar to a Glock. I don't know if they can be worked on or not. If you can find a store that sells them pick one up and dry fire it, that is what I did before I purchased mine.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I looked on the trigger pull and there isn't much that's definitive. Plenty of comments on the smoothness of the pull but not so much on the wight of the pull. I hate DA pulls in general but especially long ones. Guess I'm gonna have to handle one at the local gun store and see how it feels. I do like the compactness, finish and apparent fit though.
Yeah funny i'm very picky on triggers with my hunting guns but not so much my carry gun.

I like small, plenty of shots, plenty of power at short range, and reliability.

I get all that with the kel tec but I'm not opposed to also having a great trigger.

I talk down the Kel tec but there is a reason I use it. Its pretty impressive that you get 10 40S&W down range out of something that small.....Fingers are usually bleeding a little afterwords but it sure gets it done.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

If it's close to a Glock, I'm golden. Pretty much all of my training with pistols has been geared towards gun fighting, whether it's for duty (mostly) or off-duty (CCW). I know what works for me, managed to prove it in one gunfight and just won't relent from that standard. From what you guys have posted, I think this Kahr pistol bears further checking and consideration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.