HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Concealed Carry Gun? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/403948-concealed-carry-gun.html)

Oldtimr 04-06-2017 08:53 AM

I used to carry a 1911 .45 in a horizontal rig when I was wearing either a jacket or sport coat on the job. Before I retired I switched to my Kahr MK .40 on my hip and it is still the gun I carry the most. When in shorts and a T-shirt I usually slip my American Derringer in .45 Colt into my right shorts pocket and a few shells into my other pocket.

rockport 04-06-2017 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4299958)
I used to carry a 1911 .45 in a horizontal rig when I was wearing either a jacket or sport coat on the job. Before I retired I switched to my Kahr MK .40 on my hip and it is still the gun I carry the most. When in shorts and a T-shirt I usually slip my American Derringer in .45 Colt into my right shorts pocket and a few shells into my other pocket.

I believe I'm gonna have to have one of those Kahrs

I don't carry much but I'll never forget when the Ferguson MO stuff was going on and my mother in law had to be taken through there for cancer treatments and I had to ride along armed and ready to shoot every time.

Sad when you have to do that to get somebody their cancer treatments.

Oldtimr 04-06-2017 09:40 AM

I really like mine. The MK 40 is all steel, not just the slide but frame and all, and it really shoots well. I had to qualify last month in order to keep my retired LE officer National carry privilege, we shoot from 3 yards back to 25 yards. Even with 70 YO eyes I shot a group about the size of a saucer. I put a Crimson Trace grips on it but I rarely use the laser, I got it mainly for low light situations.The gun really saved my bacon when that wounded boar charged me in Feb. No pun intended. They should have called out the National Guard and ended that nonsense with the thugs in Ferguson by whatever means necessary.

CalHunter 04-06-2017 10:27 AM

Now I'm looking at Kahrs on the web. There goes the budget.

Oldtimr 04-06-2017 11:01 AM

They are well made handguns. If you have big hands I recommend buying the extended magazines for the MK 40. It extends the grip to the little finger which is perfect for my hands.

rockport 04-06-2017 11:07 AM

How is the trigger?

The kel tec trigger sucks .....actually it pretty much sucks all around accept its very very small and gives you 10 40S&W shots and does so reliably.

CalHunter 04-06-2017 11:08 AM

I looked on the trigger pull and there isn't much that's definitive. Plenty of comments on the smoothness of the pull but not so much on the wight of the pull. I hate DA pulls in general but especially long ones. Guess I'm gonna have to handle one at the local gun store and see how it feels. I do like the compactness, finish and apparent fit though.

Oldtimr 04-06-2017 11:29 AM

The trigger pull is pretty good, not as good as my 686 revolver but for a double action striker gun it is not bad, similar to a Glock. I don't know if they can be worked on or not. If you can find a store that sells them pick one up and dry fire it, that is what I did before I purchased mine.

rockport 04-06-2017 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4299987)
I looked on the trigger pull and there isn't much that's definitive. Plenty of comments on the smoothness of the pull but not so much on the wight of the pull. I hate DA pulls in general but especially long ones. Guess I'm gonna have to handle one at the local gun store and see how it feels. I do like the compactness, finish and apparent fit though.

Yeah funny i'm very picky on triggers with my hunting guns but not so much my carry gun.

I like small, plenty of shots, plenty of power at short range, and reliability.

I get all that with the kel tec but I'm not opposed to also having a great trigger.

I talk down the Kel tec but there is a reason I use it. Its pretty impressive that you get 10 40S&W down range out of something that small.....Fingers are usually bleeding a little afterwords but it sure gets it done.

CalHunter 04-06-2017 11:47 AM

If it's close to a Glock, I'm golden. Pretty much all of my training with pistols has been geared towards gun fighting, whether it's for duty (mostly) or off-duty (CCW). I know what works for me, managed to prove it in one gunfight and just won't relent from that standard. From what you guys have posted, I think this Kahr pistol bears further checking and consideration.

Oldtimr 04-06-2017 11:58 AM

I used to think I wanted a Kel Tec until our undercover officers were issued them years ago. Them had to qualify with them 3 times a year and in two years they essentially shot themselves to pieces. That was about 12 years ago or so. I am pretty sure they were .380s.

rockport 04-06-2017 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4299998)
If it's close to a Glock, I'm golden. Pretty much all of my training with pistols has been geared towards gun fighting, whether it's for duty (mostly) or off-duty (CCW). I know what works for me, managed to prove it in one gunfight and just won't relent from that standard. From what you guys have posted, I think this Kahr pistol bears further checking and consideration.

Ive heard lots of good things about them.

uncle matt 04-06-2017 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4299957)
Pretty rare weapon, not much fun to shoot at all really but its not for fun. It was discontinued because limp wristing was regularly mistaken for malfunctions.

9+1 capacity 40 S&W in a very small package

Too often the KelTec P11 was overlooked because of it's low price. I got mine when they first came out so it is 9mm and yes they don't appreciate limp wristing but with it's light weight one shouldn't limp wristing these. LOL. Mine has alot of time on it and alot of rounds thru it. It will digest any ammo. I have had the belt clip since new and really liked the ease to carry, lightweight and very flat. Although I use a Sig 320 these days I still use the P11 occasionally.

uncle matt 04-06-2017 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4300001)
I used to think I wanted a Kel Tec until our undercover officers were issued them years ago. Them had to qualify with them 3 times a year and in two years they essentially shot themselves to pieces. That was about 12 years ago or so. I am pretty sure they were .380s.

I think you are remembering the old Grendel P10 or P12. Those were .380s. The P10s magazine was fed from atop or with a stripper then the P12 came along with a magazine. Supposedly in 1995 Kel Tec fed the design of the Grendel P12 into a computer and telling the computer to make it slightly larger and 9mm resulting in the P11. Don't know if that is true of not. But the guy who started KelTec was the guy who ran Grendel.

Another KelTec that I think is overlooked is their PMR30. .22 mag, 30 round magazine. With a spare you're good for 60 rounds. .22 mag is no laughing matter and in a gunfight it's doubtful you would be the guy running out of ammo of being the first guy needing to reload!

http://www.guns.com/2013/03/07/grend...eltec-kel-tec/

Oldtimr 04-06-2017 02:16 PM

Have to tell you Uncle Matt. I subscribe to the Wild Bill Hickok rules on gun fighting, that is, you can't miss fast enough to make up for poor shooting. I know everyone is enamored with 30 rd mags but I would rather have less rounds and be able to shoot straight. When you have a fully loaded gun and are carrying 60 extra rounds in two magazines on your duty belt that is a lot of weight, added to whatever else you are carrying. I can still remember when we were issued speed loaders for our S&W Mod 686 revolvers. We carried speed strips prior to that on our duty belt. When they were issued, one of the new guys piped up and said, these are great if you run out of ammunition your partner can throw you a speed loader, to which I promptly replied, if you have already wasted 18 rounds, I am not going to give you any of my ammo. You may well be correct, they may have improved the Kel Tecs since I have been around them.

rockport 04-06-2017 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4300001)

I certainly would not carry one as my primary weapon if I was in law enforcement.

In my situation where I just have to stop them from getting me/my family its a fine weapon but I'd want better of I were task with actually pursuing criminals.

Mykey 04-07-2017 01:49 AM

My main conceal carry gun and the one I have on me the majority of the time is a Glock 36 single stack .45 ACP. It carries very comfortable inside the waistband in front or in the small of the back. It's a pleasure to shoot and has always ate anything I fed it. It's also very accurate and the recoil is mild for a .45. The only other handgun I carry is a Glock 43 9mm when i'm working in the yard or garden and I carry in on my side.

CalHunter 04-07-2017 09:14 AM

Interesting. I hadn't ever looked at a G36. It looks like a great pistol.

I carry a G30SF for duty and as my main CCW gun currently. Almost the same dimensions and a few ounces heavier but then I get an extra 4 rounds in the magazine and it's a double stack mag.

I picked up a 43 (and a 42) and am test driving both. I can see times when one of those would provide increased concealment.

Rob in VT 04-08-2017 05:45 PM

I considered the G36 as I like 45s but was concerned it would be too snappy. Ended up with the G26. Might have to check out he 36 again.

SecondChance 04-09-2017 12:21 PM

I just saw the other day that Kimber has now came out with another new 10mm. May be adding a brother to the other 10mm Kimber that I have already!!!! That and Remington added a 10mm in their R1 version. I have the first R1 Enhanced in 45 when they came out. It shoots!!!!

GoexBlackhorn 04-23-2017 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rob in VT (Post 4300332)
I considered the G36 as I like 45s but was concerned it would be too snappy. Ended up with the G26. Might have to check out he 36 again.

I almost bought the Glock21S, but the weight turned me into something lighter, but still a full size 45. I got the 10 ounces lighter Kahr CT45 and the price difference between it and the Glock 21 was $210 less.

My favorite firearm handgun is still a Glock. It's the baby Glock42 in .380. The handgun right between those two is a very dependable/trustworthyTaurus PT`111 G2 that I bought new after rebate for $149.

It's in service right now and unless that single/double-stage trigger improves when it returns, I'll take a sledgehammer to it (seriously) and buy my 2nd Choice in 9mm..... Ruger LC9S Pro. 3rd choice has been the Glock43 and 4th Choice is a tossup the S&W M&P Shield and the Walther.