Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ok, got the new used gun and here it is >

Ok, got the new used gun and here it is

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ok, got the new used gun and here it is

Old 01-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ok, got the new used gun and here it is

Some of you have been following my previous post, something that evolved from selling inherited guns to buy my own new gun to a friend offering a 30-06 that he never used. I generally know what it was but without having it in my hands, some of it was guesswork.

Well, it arrived and it is a little less than I expected but still ok, I think. The gun is in fact a 30-06, it is a remington 700 and it is synthetic with a drop mag and a stainless barrel.

What it's not is, a higher end synthetic stock with the rubber inserts in the grips and the scope is not a vxiii but rather a zeiss conquest. All that is fine, but what surprised me most was, the barrel was not in great shape. It has very light surface rust in a number of places and looked slightly dirty, discolored. Apparently, it was stored in the Skb foam case and wasn't oiled so the humidity in Florida caused this condition.

I took it to the gun shop and they said based on condition and the fact that hunting season is almost over plus, they were pretty heavy one guns they would only pay $325. They suggested I keep it and use steel wool and oil to polish the barrel. Said the bore was in nice shape and the barrel could be cleaned up nicely. Said optics were in great shape.

All that said, I was offered the gun For a little more than that by my friend but he threw in the Skb single gun case for free. The small catch is, this gun has a trigger recall by remington and he can't find the keys for the Skb.

Can I get replacement keys from Skb? Also, what do you suggest re cleaning up the barrel? I have 600 grit wet dry sandpaper and suspect that, along with wd40 or oil is better than steel wool. Thoughts?

I think I did well on the gun but need to shoot it to be sure, that's the part that matters most.

Last edited by tealboy; 01-07-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do not use sandpaper on the barrel, use 000 or 000 steelwool and a light oil. Quite frankly, with your lack of knowledge, you would be better served dealing with a reputable gun shop than the internet for advice.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Do not use sandpaper on the barrel, use 000 or 000 steelwool and a light oil. Quite frankly, with your lack of knowledge, you would be better served dealing with a reputable gun shop than the internet for advice.
A little gun oil and steel wool should remove all the mild surface rust. Just don't get too aggressive. Just enough buffing to remove the rust.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Fair enough but at the same time, this isn't rocket science nor an expensive gun. A few small tips like yours leads me to dig a little further and I've found several good videos that has showed me what to do. I have spent a little time on it and the results are really impressive, the barrel is looking great. With a microscope it would be apparent that the surface isn't perfect but it is a hunting rifle that on the surface, looks really nice now. Thank u for the help.

Also, re Skb case, one quick call and keys are in the mail, sent free of charge. That was a nice surprise
Old 01-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

teal, I personally would do a complete breakdown of that rifle. Definitely pull the barreled receiver from the stock. If there is surface rust on top then you can bet there is rust where you can't see. Pull the scope base as well because more than likely there will be rust there as well. Humidity can get into places over time when they have sat in one of those foam rubber gun cases. I would also get some JB bore paste http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...-prod1160.aspx and run that 50-100 swipes down the bore to make sure you have a nice bright bore.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might be surprised how much surface rust will wipe right off with a good gun oil and a paper towel. I personally use blue disposable shop towels for this most of the time (rags in a box, available at most automotive or home improvement stores).

Foam lined cases are the devil. Guns should spend as little time as possible in any case.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wait a min...

I got a new gun and here it is... With no pics?????
Old 01-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

Foam lined cases are the devil. Guns should spend as little time as possible in any case.
Dey is da DEBBIL Bobby da DEBBIL an don't yew fergit it!!
Old 01-06-2016, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

Re: Nomercy's reference to where are the pics.?

Lol. Good point. I was intending it as a clarification to what it actually turned out to be vs what i was speculating it was but fair point. I will pop a pic up this evening though i cant say that it is any kindnof eye candy. ��

Regarding breakdown, i did pull barrel from stick and as onebposter said, you can bet there is some surface rust there too, and there was. Have not pulled the scope, yet.
Attached Thumbnails Ok, got the new used gun and here it is-image.jpg  

Last edited by tealboy; 01-06-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

a Remington 700 and it is synthetic with a drop mag and a stainless barrel nor an expensive gun.

Your joking right?
It sure isn't a Savage axis, Ruger American, Remington 783 or 770.

That gun shop you took it to would give you $325. for it and turn around and sell it for well over 400 with a scope.

At a local gun shop and with a Bushnell scope $499.00
http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/mor...ucts.aspx&ai=M

To remove the rust I would have tried a simple eraser used to erase pencil mistakes. Many time if the rust isn't real bad that would do the trick.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 01-06-2016 at 03:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.