Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ok, got the new used gun and here it is >

Ok, got the new used gun and here it is

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ok, got the new used gun and here it is

Old 01-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You got an absolutely wonderful deal on that rifle.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the Remington trigger deal, go to their site and check, I THINK (not sure here) that based on the markings on the bolt your gun isn't included in the recall.

If so, it's a simple send it in, or bring to a certified repair shop.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
On the Remington trigger deal, go to their site and check, I THINK (not sure here) that based on the markings on the bolt your gun isn't included in the recall.

IMHO I'd go with an aftermarket trigger while he has the gun broken down right now and be done with it. He'll still be well ahead of the game with the money he has involved with that gun/scope combination if he does that and will have piece of mind and not be shipping it off somewhere.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH

Its definately included in the recall. I checked. Good news is, rem makes it easy with one important exception. U must remove all accessories incl the scope so as someone who doesnt get too deep into gunsmith work, i will need to take it to the local shop for bore sighting and mounting then to the range for sighting. I tried to put insurance on the scope but with call tags it is not permitted. I would need to ahip insure and pay for the whole thing otherwise, a $35 ish expense.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based upon your description of the rifle & scope combination, I'd consider the $325 offer as almost comical. Depending upon the Conquest model, the scope, if in great shape, alone would retail for around $300-$350 used.

You have gotten some great advice already. I certainly agree with staying away from sand paper .... and taking it apart to give it a thorough cleaning. As for the discolored SS ... SS will oxidize. Simply keeping it protected with a high quality rust preventative product made specifically for use on firearms is a simple, effective and inexpensive process. I'd suggest soaking both the bolt assembly and trigger assembly in a high quality gun cleaning type solvent for a couple of hours. Might be some old gummy gun oil or gun grease residue on surfaces of these parts. That stuff needs to be outta there! The bore should be bright and slick. If not, for sure it bodes well to clean it too. If not "polished" looking, you might conside running Remington brand Bore Cleaner through it ... maybe 4 to 6 passes. That product is a super fine abbrasive suspended in a oily lubricant. It does a fine job of polishing. I would not however run it through the bore more than a few passes. Should not have to anyway. The Remington 700 factory trigger is adjustable. If you do not know how to do this, take it to a good gunsmith and see if you might want the pull weight changed. Sounds like you got a nice rifle/scope combo for sure.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gun was worth that without the scope.
Nice deal, your friend did you a solid...or he ain't too bright.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
a Remington 700 and it is synthetic with a drop mag and a stainless barrel nor an expensive gun.

Your joking right?
It sure isn't a Savage axis, Ruger American, Remington 783 or 770.

That gun shop you took it to would give you $325. for it and turn around and sell it for well over 400 with a scope.

At a local gun shop and with a Bushnell scope $499.00
http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/mor...ucts.aspx&ai=M

To remove the rust I would have tried a simple eraser used to erase pencil mistakes. Many time if the rust isn't real bad that would do the trick.

Al

Yea tell me about it lol that's a nice rifle!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

I think the gun shop was trying to rip you off. he would have made a good profit if he got that rifle and a ziess scope and only paid you 325 for it. the ziess scope probably sell for that much. from the picture it looks like the rifle has a matte finish on the stainless barrel and action. use steel wool as fine as 000 or 0000 and oil to clean up any surface rust don't buff too hard or it might change the matte finish to a shiny one. like one of the posts said, take the barrel and action off the stock and make sure you get all rust removed.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

The gun came out great. Looks like new. Yea, it does look more shiny than the orig matte but looks fantastic. Very happy with it. I did pull the barrel and action from the stock, there was some slight surface rust but it all cleaned up nicely. Gun heading to the gunsmith on Thursday for the trigger replacement. Remington is issuing a call tag and has delivered a free shipping box so all good

Last edited by tealboy; 01-10-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Late to the party but if you were to still think you got a less than good deal, just offer it in this forum for your purchase price from your friend. I'd bet you get a LOT of takers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.