Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying new gun, need advice >

Buying new gun, need advice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying new gun, need advice

Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Always very interesting perspectives from this board, appreciate them for sure. I was thinking the 30-06 was stepping up in a meaningful way vs the 308 so wasnt considering it another framing hammer but havent looked at ballistics either. The price may prove irresistable bc he is going to offer me a really good deal.

I need to verify the model and various details but i think in any case, this is a hard deal to pass up.

The only question i have is whether the scope is a 50 or 40mm and if the 700 is stainless or blued but that just changes whether it is a great deal or just a good deal

Last edited by tealboy; 01-05-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tealboy
I just got an offer from a friend who wishes to sell his Remington 700 SPS with a vxiii previous generation not the vx3. it is about six years old and in brand-new condition. It is in a 30 ought six so this may help make my decision as it will round out my calibers and he's offering a really good price Get to see it this week and will know more
Sounds like a great deal. I'd go for that over the .270 or .308 because of the deal. They all fit in the same category to me.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Just pulled the ballistics, had no idea how similar they were. The 3006 is superior but not by as much of a margin as I would have expected. I don't really know the value of this gun but what he asked me to do was, take it to the local gun, pawn shop to get the price they would buy it at and he will sell it to me for that same price. They generally offer 50 cents on the dollar to a high of 65 cents of used retail. I won't be able to pass that up depending the final number

Last edited by tealboy; 01-05-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's in as good a shape as you assume, then you shouldn't pass it up. To me, where the 06 stands above the .308, is the ability to handle the larger grain bullets. You were wanting something for larger critters and they just don't get much larger than Moose on this continent anyway. While the .308 can handle them as well as the 30/30 (killed a few with that one myself), the old 06 with a 200 grain pill will flat put the smack down on a Moose. There is a reason the 06 has been the top selling cartridge for a LOT of years. That reason is, it just flat out works.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
If it's in as good a shape as you assume, then you shouldn't pass it up. To me, where the 06 stands above the .308, is the ability to handle the larger grain bullets. You were wanting something for larger critters and they just don't get much larger than Moose on this continent anyway. While the .308 can handle them as well as the 30/30 (killed a few with that one myself), the old 06 with a 200 grain pill will flat put the smack down on a Moose. There is a reason the 06 has been the top selling cartridge for a LOT of years. That reason is, it just flat out works.
Speaking from experience with moose and the 30-06 both my friend and I each took bulls with ours last year. His dropped right where it stood hitting him square in the shoulder using a Barnes 180 TSX bullet. Mine, my first shot was a frontal shot with a Sierra 180 gr BT and even though the core and jacket separated the core still drove half way through the length of his body. Two quick follow-up broadside shots passed clean through devastating the lungs. (not sure I needed the second shot or the third for that matter. But as long as he was standing, I was shooting.) I don't believe in letting an animal suffer just so I can say I took it with one shot.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Great, this is good to know, it is in fact creating versatility. Re condition, I know,it is like brand new. I sighted it in for him and picked out the gun, cartridge and scope six years ago when he bought it. Joined my lease, decided he didn't like hunting that much after all so dropped bc he never went. Gun has been under his bed ever since. He is getting it to me tomorrow. I will report back once I can confirm everything. I suppose there is a possibility that he didn't oil or clean it and it has become rusty but I don't think so. It has the ss barrel too, something I like. It is the BDL. Pic attached. This is before the scope was mounted. Did this gun have a recall for the bolt or something else?
Attached Thumbnails Buying new gun, need advice-image.jpg  

Last edited by tealboy; 01-04-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

You're getting a very good deal. The .30-06 and .308 are very similar with a slight nod to the '06. A deer is never going to know the difference. I have never loaded for a .308 but the '06 can be loaded from 110s(Maybe lighter?)up to 220s(maybe heavier?) I love my .30-06 and it has done everything I've asked of it out to 400 yards and this year hopefully farther. However, I don't think it really fills any gap for you... still a great buy, but very similar in real world application to what you already have.. I'll never be without a .30-06 though. If I had to cut down to 1 rifle it would be the '06
-Jake
Old 01-04-2016, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

off topic.... Superhunt, where did you find that profile picture? Is that a blackie sitting in a tree stand?? I always wondered if I could put bait in my treestand with a game camera on it and get interesting pictures like that lol
-Jake
Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just google "funny hunting images" it's in there among hundreds of others.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Spike

If the biggest thing you ever intend to shoot is an elk, load up some 150 TTSXs, 165 NABs or partitions and go kill elk with your 308.

Use your "proceeds" to hunt rather than buy another rifle. Your .243 is fine for any deer with a decent bullet,

Bullets matter MUCH more than headstamps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.